Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 275284 times)

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
  • Alpha Male Instructor/Professional Boomer
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #420 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
I've never listened to an Art Bell show other than live (except for a few I recorded on the C Crane Versa-corder.  Before that pos broke).

So there are a zillion shows I have to look forward to sometime.  I've mostly had my fill of the paranormal though, his guests pretty much convinced me it's all BS (right, Hoagie?)
But it was fun having it on in the background while doing something else and laughing at some of the claims his guests were reporting. Satellites in orbit that can get a picture down to several meters with infer red, night vision, and FLIR heat recording capabilities and still no Bigfoot selfies. Oh well. I guess I'll have to rely on some guy out hunting rabbit to get us an eyes on Bigfoot count that technology can't. :)

Enjoying the continuing journey of discovering infinite diversity...

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #421 on: April 08, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »
I have to back up, I was reading on my phone in a waiting room and I skipped some I think.

:o

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
But it was fun...

And Art was great at it. 

There's something about shared experience, in this case knowing there were millions of others listening at the same time, or perhaps it's the idea that the show is live and they won't be rebroadcasting it.  Going back and listening now wouldn't be the same.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #423 on: April 08, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
Mine was just the reverse, listen to Art streaming on Realplayer during the workday - my favorite show was Sunday night's Dreamland.

Did you ever listen to the Laura Lee program?

I've not heard of Laura Lee, she good?

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #424 on: April 08, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
And Art was great at it. 

There's something about shared experience, in this case knowing there were millions of others listening at the same time, or perhaps it's the idea that the show is live and they won't be rebroadcasting it.  Going back and listening now wouldn't be the same.
Very true. I think your on to something here PB. But I do enjoy the replays. I sometimes catch a broadcast I missed along the way for one reason or another. A couple stand out for me that I found interesting. 1. Johnathan Reed and The Alien in the freezer. (Quite the tail with many characters and twists). 2.Someone used several power company high voltage transformers left at the side of the road to construct a time machine. (The guest walked the walk and talked some pretty good tech stuff in his claim). 3. Ghost to Ghost on Halloween. (Nothing better than ghost stories being told live on air while waiting to hand out treats to little ghost and goblins ringing your doorbell).
Nuchi gusui~ :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #425 on: April 08, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
Hello @damon , I listen to Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin on AM radio-lots of commercials. In between Rush and Mark, I listen to one of the college radio FM stations -almost no commercials. I try to walk the line between conservatism and progressivism.

They were good, I don't listen anymore because the subjects don't make my happy.   :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
Hi Fish. I'm glad to hear your on the mend. Our health is indeed most precious. I am a huge Art Bell fan and went to follow the Hw thread as I wanted to see where this new  Hw talent would take Arts show after his passing. Thank God for DS :) . As with all public boards, I knew you need to be tough skinned as their are people from all walks of life posting their opinions. Fair enough. That's what the boards are for. But of late I found many posts constantly hijacked by JM and the board subject getting lost in his attempts to make it constantly about him. JM always tries to flip every reply to get the spotlight back on him. He's made it the JM thread and he does his best to keep it that way. In fact he's now using my (hijacking thread) reference in his posts now. Go figure. It's an issue for me. The board doesn't change just for me so no worries. I'll just enjoy Ellgab in the other rooms it offers. Problem solved! :) Bart is a great guy. A man of mystery ( no pictures please) lol and keeps his eyes open from the office and lets thing flow as they should unless it gets out of hand. If no one had a difference of opinion how boring would that be. lol.  He's a great admin. So ya. This is the Art Bell thread and that's why I'm here. To remember the big guy and his fascinating shows! Art is kind of like Elvis. Everybody wanted a show like him, to be like him, copy him, imitate him, use his formula to be famous and get rich but most just don't have the goods. There's a big difference in asking " So, what kind of ghost did you see?" And Art asking "Wow! You must have been terrified. What did it look like? Tell our listeners what went through your mind". He was the best. :)
Nuchi gusui~ ;)

We heard a show over the weekend, both of us commented on that voice of his. It was great and I'm glad I had the time I did to hear him.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #428 on: April 08, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »

Absolutely, Art is kind of like Elvis @starman . Bart has his (her?) role to monitor but not control the comments or images. He will not let you dox yourself. I think I can count on one hand how many members had to go to the zoo.
As for that other guy? re: The Kingdom of Drama without Heather Wade became re: The Kingdom with I.  I used the ignore feature with him. However, I could still read his quotes every time someone posted their response. For me it became like the docuseries "Intervention". The EllGab World is too big for me to remain in a thread that is no longer fun.

Exactly what I say. Those quotes! Today I posted there to him the way he posts to people. He loves attention, so I gave him some. I can't say any of it was fun though, not like how it was before the hijack.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #429 on: April 08, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »
I will go to "new unread posts" generally and work right through, but I also look in my profile for mentions, which is where I just caught yours. :)

I do that too, I also click on Home and see who has posted in a thread so if I see a name of a nut I can skip that thread.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #430 on: April 08, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
We heard a show over the weekend, both of us commented on that voice of his. It was great and I'm glad I had the time I did to hear him.
You bet anniem. Like PB said replay's aren't the same. In my opinion, nobody in the Biz could touch Art broadcasting live. It was a thing of beauty even on his off days.
Nuchi gusui~ :)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »

Art knew how to do radio and really make it the "theater of the mind." Even when he was ornery "turn off the radio" or hang-up on a caller who dialed the wrong line it was epic. But more so when he "got" whatever point the guest, or caller, made.

He listened. "oh. oooh" when the big point was realized by him was epic.

And payed attention and not repeating same questions to same guest or using the same boiler-plate questions. And would go off topic or down a tangent when appropriate.  I think his claim of not reading the material of guest was a good option also. Allowed guest to explain the topic and be "new" to us listeners and him and so he would ask questions listeners would. Thought there surely were some set-ups etc who cares? Great radio often is and I listened/listen not, usually, for information but entertainment. And live, late at night, driving or even setting at home on radio: magic in the static.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
Art knew how to do radio and really make it the "theater of the mind." Even when he was ornery "turn off the radio" or hang-up on a caller who dialed the wrong line it was epic. But more so when he "got" whatever point the guest, or caller, made.

He listened. "oh. oooh" when the big point was realized by him was epic.

And payed attention and not repeating same questions to same guest or using the same boiler-plate questions. And would go off topic or down a tangent when appropriate.  I think his claim of not reading the material of guest was a good option also. Allowed guest to explain the topic and be "new" to us listeners and him and so he would ask questions listeners would. Thought there surely were some set-ups etc who cares? Great radio often is and I listened/listen not, usually, for information but entertainment. And live, late at night, driving or even setting at home on radio: magic in the static.

Yes!  This is a lovely thread. It makes me smile.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
Hey. A tip of the hat to albrecht. "magic in the static" I like that!
+1

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #434 on: April 08, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
Hey. A tip of the hat to albrecht. "magic in the static" I like that!
+1

I don't know about the whole karma thing but thanks. I recall driving to Vegas with friends and introducing them to Art over beers and long road trip there (kids don't do this) and the late night on the way to Vegas and they were mesmerized. "Who IS this guy?" "What the HELL?" A perfect storm: in the desert, middle of nowhere, listening on AM which would break-up a bit and I'd manually tune back in (old "dual knobby" car radio) and some crazy spooky topic and an electric storm. Was awesome. Better than Vegas was in recollection.