Author Topic: Fruit and Vegetable Labels  (Read 175312 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Fruit and Vegetable Labels
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Here is an interesting and colorful collectible for some people.  Fruit and vegetable labels that were usually attached to wooden crates or bins of produce.  They were primarily used for identifying the type of produce in a crate and they also contained the name of the company that packed the items.  There are virtually thousands of produce labels out there and you might have even seen them in your produce aisle at the grocery store, though most produce boxes are made out of cardboard now.

These labels go way, way back and are usually quite colorful in design.  I had a job once where I came into contact with produce bins, and I was taken with the labels so I began to carefully peel them off without ripping them.  I think I collected about 30 of them and will show them to you as time goes by, but like I said, there are scads of pretty cool looking ones that can also be found on the internet.  Some of the labels are pretty cool in design, especially the ones that show people (lots of kids) and cartoonish characters, like apples with faces, etc.  Some are kind of humorous too.

This first one from my collection is in fairly poor shape but it is used to illustrate that produce labels can also be somewhat suggestive in nature.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: Fruit and Vegetable Labels
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »
She has a long finger!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »
She has a long finger!

I like her.  She has a That Girl vibe plus a long finger

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
I like her.  She has a That Girl vibe plus a long finger

Ann Coulter is my favorite long-fingered gal

Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:27:48 PM »
Speak of the devil.  Here's one that shows an apple face.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Bart, Walks and Gravity...  Thank you, boys, for helping to jumpstart this thread.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
Bart, Walks and Gravity...  Thank you, boys, for helping to jumpstart this thread.

You’re welcome. I won’t always comment but I read and enjoy all of your posts. Here, postcards and 100 year thread. My grandfather owned a general store and butcher shop when I was a toddler. Somewhere I have a picture of me sleeping in a rectangular peach crate while being wheeled around on a dolly by my father. It was like the ones that used those labels. I picked Macintosh apples to make extra money when I was in the air force and we used wood crates like those too. It was a long time before I could eat a Macintosh  apple.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 05:52:53 PM »

It's an interesting little topic.  One I never would have thought of to bring up. 

I've been taking a walk on the wild side this week but will be coming home soon. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »
You’re welcome. I won’t always comment but I read and enjoy all of your posts. Here, postcards and 100 year thread. My grandfather owned a general store and butcher shop when I was a toddler. Somewhere I have a picture of me sleeping in a rectangular peach crate while being wheeled around on a dolly by my father. It was like the ones that used those labels. I picked Macintosh apples to make extra money when I was in the air force and we used wood crates like those too. It was a long time before I could eat a Macintosh  apple.

I used to pick apples after my highschool classes.  There was only a one hour or so window before sundown, so I'd be lucky to make $5.00 for each afternoon's work.  My grandfather and his brother picked apples for a company that used crate labels.  It was a pretty cool label.  I have a copy of it but have never been able to locate an original anywhere.  I'm hoping to show it for Halloween.  I wish I could have seen your grandfather's store and butcher shop.  Bet it was pretty nice in there. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 06:34:33 PM »
It's an interesting little topic.  One I never would have thought of to bring up. 

I've been taking a walk on the wild side this week but will be coming home soon.

There are some fascinating produce labels out there that I think you will enjoy, Walks.  After your walk, that is.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »

I should eat more fruit.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »
I should eat more fruit.

I was curious as to what type of produce earned such a 'colorful' label.  Grapefruit?  Oranges perhaps?  I think that Phelan & Taylor are no more.  Oh, there are still some remnants of it on the internet, but there are blank places when it comes to any solid information on the place.  I did come across an interesting 1977 court case that involved the company.  It seems that a couple of Teamsters entered P & T's property and beat up a couple of Latino (?) guys who were members of the United Farm Workers.  To make the long story short, the Teamsters lost and had to make an unspecified payment to right the wrongs. (The lawyers got $6,500.00.)  In any event, the guys who got beat up were picking celery.

https://www.alrb.ca.gov/legal_searches/decisions/3_60(1977)ocr.pdf