Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 284081 times)

Gd5150

• I Am A Stupid Cunt
  • Elluminati
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #1170 on: February 11, 2022, 08:09:43 PM »
I still listen to the old shows. I didn’t start listening to Art until around ‘99. There was nothing like driving around the southwest listening to him in the middle of the night. When he came back from Manilla it never had the right feel. I liked the idea of some dude broadcasting from his garage in the desert. By the time DM and MITD happened I wasn’t interested in the whole satellite thing. I liked the grittiness of the earlier years. Sounded like you’re just listening to someone on HAM radio.

It will never be like it was. Everything is so commercialized and stylized it’s so cotton candy now I don’t even listen. And I’m an insider. It’s asinine really.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #1171 on: February 11, 2022, 08:35:18 PM »
I still listen to the old shows. I didn’t start listening to Art until around ‘99. There was nothing like driving around the southwest listening to him in the middle of the night. When he came back from Manilla it never had the right feel. I liked the idea of some dude broadcasting from his garage in the desert. By the time DM and MITD happened I wasn’t interested in the whole satellite thing. I liked the grittiness of the earlier years. Sounded like you’re just listening to someone on HAM radio.

It will never be like it was. Everything is so commercialized and stylized it’s so cotton candy now I don’t even listen. And I’m an insider. It’s asinine really.
Yes, I still enjoy the old shows.  I’ll usually listen to a least part of the weekly “Somewhere in Time” shows on Saturday night.  Most of them are well over 20 years old, but I still find them entertaining.  They really do take me back in time.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #1172 on: February 11, 2022, 08:48:19 PM »
Yes, I still enjoy the old shows.  I’ll usually listen to a least part of the weekly “Somewhere in Time” shows on Saturday night.  Most of them are well over 20 years old, but I still find them entertaining.  They really do take me back in time.

Some of those 25-year-old shows are eerily contemporary...
Eh, nevermind...

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1173 on: February 11, 2022, 10:55:52 PM »
...yet a flawed, out-of-date cranky old Art Bell is 1000% better dead than a sNoory is alive.

Amen and Hallelujah
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1174 on: February 11, 2022, 11:16:54 PM »
Quote from: KSM link=topic=12.msg382756#msg382756 date=1644635094

[member=145
PB[/member] Loves the Midnight in the Desert song by Crystal. Listens to it while banging his head against the wall when replying to Tiger Lily as he tries to make sense of her arguments.

It's pitiful watching him try to keep up. But you...it's just sad

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #1175 on: February 11, 2022, 11:32:09 PM »
It's got to be odd to still live in Art and Ramona's double-wide on the compound!! Just fucking weird.
And in addition, remember Heather Wade moved in next door there too...  8)

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1176 on: February 12, 2022, 09:39:32 AM »
And in addition, remember Heather Wade moved in next door there too...  8)

Hell in the Desert

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1177 on: February 12, 2022, 11:07:42 AM »
Hell in the Desert

FROM THE HELLLL DESERT!

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #1178 on: February 12, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »
A Hell of Art’s own making. 

nooryisawesome

• Elluminati
  • dont like it, watch another channel and go to hell
« Reply #1179 on: February 14, 2022, 05:49:04 AM »
It is a very odd situation.

I wish they would release some old shows that aren't already floating around the internet. I wonder how much is even left. I know Noory said there were VCR tapes all over. Someone needs to convert those because they do degrade. But Premier obviously isn't going to do that, though they have no issues marketing their Art Bell vault which is only a partial achieve of recordings that can be had elsewhere.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1180 on: February 14, 2022, 06:55:33 AM »
It’s time consuming to digitize the tapes.  One has to play the tape in real time into a computer.  One of Art’s five hour shows would take five hours.  Take into account time to set up the computer and tape machine, cue the tape, then edit out commercials or blank spaces (I don’t know where in the stream the recording was done), add the announcements as to date, etc.  and it will take one employee a full work day to do one show.  Even considering the employee could do other things while the tape is digitizing, would PremRat get enough revenue to cover the cost?
Merry Christmas

Gd5150

• I Am A Stupid Cunt
  • Elluminati
« Reply #1181 on: February 14, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
It’s time consuming to digitize the tapes.  One has to play the tape in real time into a computer.  One of Art’s five hour shows would take five hours.  Take into account time to set up the computer and tape machine, cue the tape, then edit out commercials or blank spaces (I don’t know where in the stream the recording was done), add the announcements as to date, etc.  and it will take one employee a full work day to do one show.  Even considering the employee could do other things while the tape is digitizing, would PremRat get enough revenue to cover the cost?

5 hours for 1 show when Snoory is putting in a solid 5 hours a week. It would take a century to digitize all the old stuff.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1182 on: February 14, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
With simple Windows-based software like Audacity and a multichannel interface, they could record numerous audio channels simultaneously.

If Art did stereo (his voice on one side, guest on the other), that would take up more channels, but be invaluable.

I don't know if there's a practical track limit in Audacity, but a decent computer could handle 24 channels of audio to capture. 

Spend $100 on some multi track software and you could effectively record 48 channels.

In theory 4-8 weeks of shows in 5 hours if they have enough decent VHS machines.

After digitized, editing is a snap. Hard break times being the easiest to find. Looking at wave patterns will find other breaks, even if a live read because his cadence will change.
Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1183 on: February 20, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
I heard an old show where a chupacabra song was referenced. I don't think it was the one that was a sound alike of macarena because the guy talked about it differently. So, I looked for it on YouTube and I found this, something that was done before his death. I can't understand the lyrics, something about night...

Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1184 on: February 20, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »
I have a whole CD of chupacabra songs.
Merry Christmas