Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 513589 times)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #960 on: March 20, 2019, 01:51:53 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Some grapefruit from Florida.  Close up, they don't look particularly fresh.

Well, no wonder.  1914.  These particular grapefruit are almost 105 years old.

Yeah, it be best not to eat those.  ;)

I am a bit envious that I never learned to write that beautifully...
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Wayne Clark
« Reply #961 on: March 21, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »

A nice shot of an American Airlines DC-7 on a postcard up for bid on eBay, though I'm not bidding on anything this week.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #962 on: March 22, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »

Another interesting postcard from the weekly auction.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #963 on: March 23, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_Alley

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #964 on: March 23, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

Another interesting postcard from the weekly auction.

Apparently Nervine stopped being sold in 1975. Sometimes when I run across one of these, or the last page in a notepad, or an add in an old book I sent in the money and the coupon to address listed. So far I have not gotten anything in return except a lost letter or, more often, a "Return To Sender" stamped envelope returned back to me. But I'm hoping someday some company will still exist, still be at same address, and send me the offer- since often the old ads didn't have the legalese as we have today about offer timing, prices subject to change, etc.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #965 on: March 23, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
Apparently Nervine stopped being sold in 1975. Sometimes when I run across one of these, or the last page in a notepad, or an add in an old book I sent in the money and the coupon to address listed. So far I have not gotten anything in return except a lost letter or, more often, a "Return To Sender" stamped envelope returned back to me. But I'm hoping someday some company will still exist, still be at same address, and send me the offer- since often the old ads didn't have the legalese as we have today about offer timing, prices subject to change, etc.

I wonder if mailed items get sent back if they don't have a zip code on them?  Old offers, and ads didn't have zip codes printed on them, so perhaps that's why they were sent back to you?  IDK.

I was reading a pulp science fiction magazine from the 1940s and there was an ad for a book on dude ranches in it.  The book was called Hi Stranger.  I didn't try sending away for it but I did find the same exact book on eBay, so I bought it.  I was expecting a cheesy, pamphlet style type of book but when it arrived I was surprised that it was a solid, hardbound book with high quality paper and lots of photos of horses and people at the dude ranches.  I kind of felt like I had gone back in time to purchase it. haha

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #966 on: March 23, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

Nice! Yes. I suspect this because some years ago I did, as a lark for some theorists/compound types, did not use zip codes (sign of beast and all that.) Letters would still arrive BUT post (irony intended) office now not being gov't they got returned or lost. But I sent few recently stamped but very small sized post cards (not regulation or intended to be) and they got through- looked hand-cancelled even!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #967 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »

Have you ever wanted to eat in a South Sea island hut while it's raining outside?  Clifton's is still around and they still display lots of Tiki décor, but I don't know if it still rains on top of your hut.

https://www.cliftonsla.com/pacific-seas/

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #968 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »

Have you ever wanted to eat in a South Sea island hut while it's raining outside?  Clifton's is still around and they still display lots of Tiki décor, but I don't know if it still rains on top of your hut.

https://www.cliftonsla.com/pacific-seas/

I thought it never rains in Southern California. 😎
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #969 on: March 25, 2019, 12:18:22 AM »
I thought it never rains in Southern California. 😎

Ha, I spent a whole summer there once and it rained exactly one time.  I was walking along and the raindrops evaporated as soon as they hit the sidewalk.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #970 on: March 25, 2019, 12:38:45 AM »
Ha, I spent a whole summer there once and it rained exactly one time.  I was walking along and the raindrops evaporated as soon as they hit the sidewalk.

When I worked for McDonnell Douglas at JSC, the folks at Rockwell in Downey would request me to come for a work trip because every time I showed up it rained.

One time Queen Elizabeth was visiting Reagan at his ranch and it had torrential rains.

Once the roof at the visitors center of Rockwell collapsed from all of the rain.

Once I was eating breakfast at the Empire motel across the street from Rockwell and lightning hit the telephone pole in the parking lot. A minute or two later the light fixture in the ceiling started filling up with water.

Once we were eating dinner down at the Queen Mary and it rained so hard that the freeway flooded and we had troubles getting back. The martinis we had did not have anything to do with it but it may have contributed to us ending up in Compton instead of Downey.

Fun times.

I only experienced two earthquakes though.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #971 on: March 25, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
When I worked for McDonnell Douglas at JSC, the folks at Rockwell in Downey would request me to come for a work trip because every time I showed up it rained.

One time Queen Elizabeth was visiting Reagan at his ranch and it had torrential rains.

Once the roof at the visitors center of Rockwell collapsed from all of the rain.

Once I was eating breakfast at the Empire motel across the street from Rockwell and lightning hit the telephone pole in the parking lot. A minute or two later the light fixture in the ceiling started filling up with water.

Once we were eating dinner down at the Queen Mary and it rained so hard that the freeway flooded and we had troubles getting back. The martinis we had did not have anything to do with it but it may have contributed to us ending up in Compton instead of Downey.

Fun times.

I only experienced two earthquakes though.

Remember Joe Btfsplk from Dogpatch?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #972 on: March 25, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »
another guy that needs to buy a vowel.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #973 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Some interesting postcards from this weeks' postcard auction:

Ward Bond Wagon Train postcard.

Kennedy Space Center Saturn 501 postcard.

Eastern Air Lines Golden Falcon postcard.

Saguaro National Monument, Gila Woodpecker postcard.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #974 on: March 26, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »

Here we have a nicely detailed QSL (ham radio lingo for "I confirm reception") card sent by Mr. Doc Jacob Hacken to his ham radio pal, Mr. Sol Taubenkimel.  I have a number of these QSL cards in stock but this is the only one where there is an actual photo of the operator himself on the card.  Most unique.  I tried to find out if Doc Hacken is still around but I couldn't find any record of him.  Saul Taubenkimel on the other hand, has gone to that great ham radio station in the sky, having died at the age of 76.  He passed away in Florida but his body was returned to New Jersey for buriel.  (This might be a haunted postcard...I thought I saw the cards move on Doc's rolodex.) 

Doc mailed his postcard on March 26, 1968.  Lynden B. Johnson was the president back then, and the most popularly viewed movie was 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Country music singer Kenny Chesney and musician James Iha (The Smashing Pumpkins) were both born on this day.