Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 513558 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1560 on: November 27, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
One more Thanksgiving postcard.

This one is postmarked Nov 28 1907, Ottawa Kansas, to Miss Ruby Daily, 1004 S. Main St of the same town.  No message.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@PB thanks for posting the THANKSGIVING post cards. Good fun to view.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Wayne Clark
« Reply #1561 on: November 27, 2019, 11:38:52 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1562 on: November 27, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »

Yes, @FISH, PB's Thanksgiving postcards are great.  I have it on good authority that he will be sharing some of his cool Christmas postcards with us too!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1563 on: November 28, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »

Thanks!  These older cards I've been posting were nearly all from a garage sale - I think they are what remained from a much larger collection.   

For the holiday postcards, to me it's interesting seeing how the various holidays were portrayed back then.  Also any cars, toys, clothes, hairstyles of the time, and so on that might be part of the scene. 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1564 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
Yes, @FISH, PB's Thanksgiving postcards are great.  I have it on good authority that he will be sharing some of his cool Christmas postcards with us too!

Hi Rik, nearly every postcard I've ever seen has been a standard size - 5.5'' x 3.5''.  This one is smaller -  slightly less than 4.75'' x 3.25'' - and the paper seems thinner. 

The Tuck logo and their wording on the back are different from what I've seen on their other cards.  Any guesses on about when this one might have been made? 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1565 on: November 29, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »
Hi Rik, nearly every postcard I've ever seen has been a standard size - 5.5'' x 3.5''.  This one is smaller -  slightly less than 4.75'' x 3.25'' - and the paper seems thinner. 

The Tuck logo and their wording on the back are different from what I've seen on their other cards.  Any guesses on about when this one might have been made? 

That is a beautiful card and very, very old.  I get the feeling that if you waved a black light over it, that it would glow.  (That's the way really old and thin paper stock acts.)  I wish I knew how old.  My psychic sense says early 1900, possibly even 1898 or 1899.  I really like that Christmas card.  Please keep them coming.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1566 on: November 29, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »

Nice! Thank you for posting it

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1567 on: November 30, 2019, 05:35:48 AM »

2c postage from the US to Europe

Tracy Dec-1-1915
       Dear little Marie
How you must be growing
Dear Marie in all this time we
can not see you.  We all send
greetings for a Merry Christmas
and hope papa may be home to
spend Xmas with you and mama.
  We are sending you a little package
and hope you will get it O.K.  Just a little
remembrance of Christmas.  With lots of love and
Kisses from Grandma & uncle Frank & Aunt Sera (?)

Hope the time will
soon come that you can
                 all come
home to California
                 Bye   Bye

When this was sent, WWI had broken out in Europe but the United States had not yet entered the war.  A person with a Dutch last name living in California has taken his family to Holland.  Grandma is sending a Christmas card to her granddaughter.  Sounds like the family has been away for quite awhile.

I wonder why the family went to Den Haag (The Hague) - is dad some sort of diplomat, or other official?  Did he join the Dutch military?  Is he taking care of family elsewhere in Holland?  The father must be away or quite busy if grandma hopes he will be able to spend Christmas with his wife and daughter.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1568 on: November 30, 2019, 03:20:08 PM »

2c postage from the US to Europe

Tracy Dec-1-1915
       Dear little Marie
How you must be growing
Dear Marie in all this time we
can not see you.  We all send
greetings for a Merry Christmas
and hope papa may be home to
spend Xmas with you and mama.
  We are sending you a little package
and hope you will get it O.K.  Just a little
remembrance of Christmas.  With lots of love and
Kisses from Grandma & uncle Frank & Aunt Sera (?)

Hope the time will
soon come that you can
                 all come
home to California
                 Bye   Bye

When this was sent, WWI had broken out in Europe but the United States had not yet entered the war.  A person with a Dutch last name living in California has taken his family to Holland.  Grandma is sending a Christmas card to her granddaughter.  Sounds like the family has been away for quite awhile.

I wonder why the family went to Den Haag (The Hague) - is dad some sort of diplomat, or other official?  Did he join the Dutch military?  Is he taking care of family elsewhere in Holland?  The father must be away or quite busy if grandma hopes he will be able to spend Christmas with his wife and daughter.

Nice card, PB.  Fascinating to think that, as of tomorrow, Grandma wrote the note and sent the postcard exactly 104 years ago.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1569 on: November 30, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
Nice card, PB.  Fascinating to think that, as of tomorrow, Grandma wrote the note and sent the postcard exactly 104 years ago.
So cool! I still write letters to my grandma. It’s fun to think that one hundred years from now someone may be reading them. Of course, I write in cursive so maybe it’ll jut look like hieroglyphics. Now Bart can OK Boomer me.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1570 on: November 30, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »

So cool! I still write letters to my grandma. It’s fun to think that one hundred years from now someone may be reading them. Of course, I write in cursive so maybe it’ll jut look like hieroglyphics. Now Bart can OK Boomer me.

I have many postcards my grandmothers send me as a child.  I should post some of them.  I'm sure they enjoyed getting mail from me as well.

It amazes me some of these postcards are still around, I feel fortunate to have them.  It's great Rik created this thread to share some of them (and I really like seeing the ones others post as well).  My mom has a good sized collection, I've never really looked through them.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1571 on: November 30, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Ok, it's cold and rainy here - time to post a few more..

The ruins at Sukhothai are one of my favorite places in Thailand, I bought this one because I knew I wouldn't be able to take a picture this good.

Notice the Buddha statue in the background is wearing a saffron colored sash - a lot of ancient statues are clothed, especially for holidays, but other times as well. 

Dang, those vertical lines are not visible on the  postcard

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1572 on: November 30, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
Ok, it's cold and rainy here - time to post a few more..

The ruins at Sukhothai are one of my favorite places in Thailand, I bought this one because I knew I wouldn't be able to take a picture this good.

Notice the Buddha statue in the background is wearing a saffron colored sash - a lot of ancient statues are clothed, especially for holidays, but other times as well. 

Dang, those vertical lines are not visible on the  postcard

Pretty one   :)

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1573 on: November 30, 2019, 05:24:20 PM »
Here are a couple from a street vendor in Delhi, sitting out in front of the Red Fort.  He had a ton of postcards and covers, and I wish I'd had more time to look thru his collection.  I bought some first day of issue covers, and these two postcards.

They aren't much to look at really (no pictures), but still interesting.  In British India, there were hundreds of Princely States, and many were responsible for postage in their areas.  These two were issued in Jaiper and Gwalior, both a bit to the south of Delhi.

It's hard to tell under the cancellation, but the stamp image for the Jaiper pre-stamped post card is the chariot of the sun god Surya, with a driver and seven horses.  Can't make out the date on the cancellation, but Jaiper state ceased issuing postage in 1947.

Here's the message side, anyone read Hindi?

Here's a better look at the chariot image from a similar stamp:

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1574 on: November 30, 2019, 05:41:22 PM »
This pre-stamped postcard was issued by the Government of India after independence, but has an overstrike mark for the former Princely State of Gwalior.  The overstrike includes the image of the sun god with cobras poised on either side.

No idea what this is for.  Looks like a form notice perhaps sent by a business or the government with the blank spaces filled out individually for each recipient.  Morena is a district within Gwalior State, but this was sent within Dehli, which is not part of Gwalior at all. 

Stamp image is King George VI, head of the Commonwealth