Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 513562 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1695 on: December 25, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »
that is too many people, unless there is free beer.
Yeah but I'll bet there's only one porta-potty.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1696 on: December 27, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1697 on: December 27, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
Every time I see these old postcards I have the urge to dig into my stamp collection.  I think I have every stamp I've seen on these.  Most in very good to mint condition too.  Perhaps not too many mint, but very fine for sure.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1698 on: December 27, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
Every time I see these old postcards I have the urge to dig into my stamp collection.  I think I have every stamp I've seen on these.  Most in very good to mint condition too.  Perhaps not too many mint, but very fine for sure.

I loved collecting stamps as a kid.  Each one a tiny piece of period art.  I learned quite a bit about history, art, mythology, national parks, political leaders, birds and animals, holidays, you name it.  Traveling I don't buy souvenirs, except interesting stamps, postcards, etc I run across - inexpensive, lightweight, easy to store and carry.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1699 on: December 27, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »
I loved collecting stamps as a kid.  Each one a tiny piece of period art.  I learned quite a bit about history, art, mythology, national parks, political leaders, birds and animals, holidays, you name it.  Traveling I don't buy souvenirs, except interesting stamps, postcards, etc I run across - inexpensive, lightweight, easy to store and carry.

Ahh! A fellow philatelist!  @PB   Well, at least I used to be.  I haven't been into it in over 20 years.  Nonetheless, everything you stated is how I feel about stamps; especially "Each one a tiny piece of period art."  I too learned a lot from the hobby.  I can't say for sure how I got started but I do know my Grandmother encouraged me.  It could've been when I was a little boy we'd walk up the street to get stamps at the post office or self service machine.  I'd ask if I could carry them home.  So I'd put them in my pocket or hold them in my hand as if my life depended on it...always fascinated by the look of the stamp.  I was probably 10 or 11 years old.  It felt like they were important in some sense, and I liked the art work, design, etc. 

Anyway, my album of stamps has laid dormant for years.  It's time to pull it out. 

Do you still have your stamps, or are they long gone?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1700 on: December 27, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »
... Anyway, my album of stamps has laid dormant for years.  It's time to pull it out. 

Do you still have your stamps, or are they long gone?

I still have most of it, baseball cards, comic books, stamps, favorite kids books, vinyl records.  Not the toys though, someone (unnamed) gave all that away.  I filled in a few collections when Ebay came into being, I keep an eye out for things I like at garage sales etc, but not really a collector anymore.

A friend found this trove of ancient postcards, and figured I'd be interested in them...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1701 on: December 28, 2019, 05:47:45 AM »

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1702 on: December 28, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »

Such beautiful penmanship.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1703 on: December 28, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
I still have most of it, baseball cards, comic books, stamps, favorite kids books, vinyl records.  Not the toys though, someone (unnamed) gave all that away.  I filled in a few collections when Ebay came into being, I keep an eye out for things I like at garage sales etc, but not really a collector anymore.

A friend found this trove of ancient postcards, and figured I'd be interested in them...

@PB   Cool.  I have just a few comics left, a few sentimental kids books, and my entire stamp collection.  Over the years I sold my vinyl, coins, and card collection.  Toys were lost or given away.  At one point I made enough to pay my bills for a year.  No regrets.  ;)  Funny thing was, I didn't realized I had so much or even how I collected all that stuff.  My jaw dropped when I received an offer for my coins.  Anyway....

I have been trying to get back some items I probably shouldn't have sold or that were lost over the years.  Nostalgia overwhelms me at times.

Cheers PB!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Wayne Clark
« Reply #1704 on: December 28, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
@PB   Cool.  I have just a few comics left, a few sentimental kids books, and my entire stamp collection.  Over the years I sold my vinyl, coins, and card collection.  Toys were lost or given away.  At one point I made enough to pay my bills for a year.  No regrets.  ;)  Funny thing was, I didn't realized I had so much or even how I collected all that stuff.  My jaw dropped when I received an offer for my coins.  Anyway....

I have been trying to get back some items I probably shouldn't have sold or that were lost over the years.  Nostalgia overwhelms me at times.

Cheers PB!

@ShayP, you might be interested in this place.  I've been toying with the idea of joining up.  They offer tons of comics that can be downloaded for free.  They aren't lawyers, but they are extremely careful about allowing only comics in the public domain onto their site.  (You might like to have digital copies of your favorite comics until you can track down the actual hard copies.)  Cheers!
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1705 on: December 28, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »
@ShayP, you might be interested in this place.  I've been toying with the idea of joining up.  They offer tons of comics that can be downloaded for free.  They aren't lawyers, but they are extremely careful about allowing only comics in the public domain onto their site.  (You might like to have digital copies of your favorite comics until you can track down the actual hard copies.)  Cheers!
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php

Thanks! @Rikki Gins  I will bookmark that.   8)  Oh, and so I don't continue to sidetrack the thread, I'd like to put it back on topic...sort of.   ;)  I present this:

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1706 on: December 28, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »
… I have been trying to get back some items I probably shouldn't have sold or that were lost over the years.  Nostalgia overwhelms me at times.

Cheers PB!

I would love to get rid of all of it, but it would have to be for something close to fair market value.  What would be overwhelming to me would be to list everything on Ebay, answer questions, ship it, etc.  What I need is some kid looking to make a few bucks to do it for me - for a fat commission, of course.

Cheers!

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1707 on: December 28, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
I would love to get rid of all of it, but it would have to be for something close to fair market value.  What would be overwhelming to me would be to list everything on Ebay, answer questions, ship it, etc.  What I need is some kid looking to make a few bucks to do it for me - for a fat commission, of course.

Cheers!

Right up George Senda’s alley. 

#winwin
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1708 on: December 28, 2019, 03:32:42 PM »
Right up George Senda’s alley. 

#winwin

Yeah, can you imagine

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1709 on: December 28, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
... My jaw dropped when I received an offer for my coins...

There've been a few of times gold and silver have just soared, which meant the old gold and silver coins soared in value as well.  In fact when gold and silver go on a run, the value of rare coins in top condition go up by a larger percentage than the underlying metal prices.