Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 275315 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #570 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
Amityville house is nothing to see anymore, not worth it. Just fyi.
Shoot that's a shame, next best or even a far better "house", the Stanley Hotel in Estes park, Co.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
Shoot that's a shame, next best or even a far better "house", the Stanley Hotel in Estes park, Co.

Is it haunted?
Happy day to you

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2019, 09:27:08 AM »
I think soon we will be able to go back over there... but please, just totally ignore him and don't reply to ANYTHING he posts! He will not like being invisible!

'Night all!

By "over there" do you refer to Bellgrab? And if so why would you want to go back there?

Isn't it more on the rowdy speech side for the temperature of this room? :o

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #573 on: April 10, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »
Art Bell...wow. I discovered Art in 93 . I have so many wonderful memories. He was the friend who hung out in Splendora Texas and just made me happy.
I love this thread. Lets celebrate Art. I have so many friends on Ellgab . I have enjoyed hanging out with yall and I am hoping for many more yrs to come.
We all loved Art...Coast to Coast, Sirius, DMDN...We had a common friend. Someone who scared the bejesus out of us and made the night go faster. We found out the crazy ppl called in and were awesome comic relief.
God bless Art Bell. The Godfather of paranormal radio.
Insert quick Long John Nebel citation for continuity...

And isn't it enlightening to know where Hoaxie copped his intro theme from?

Plus this was 1958!!!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #574 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:22 AM »
@AngiefromNJ , greetings. Listening to Art Bell live was like being part of large group of people. In the dark of the night, Art Bell was a light left on for the lonely, the insomniacs and the curious.

Ah the lonely in the night insomniacs- done first and best by Herb Jepko on the Nitecaps show:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/660195859/Utahn-helped-shape-US-radio.html?pg=all
Who was the most influential Utah radio host in the past century of the medium's history?

The answer may vary with whom you ask, but I'm firmly sticking with Herb Jepko, who used to host and produce the "Nitecaps" syndicated program, the nation's first nighttime network talk show. (He died in 1995.)

I'm reminded of Jepko's importance in the evolution of U.S. radio by the recently published book "Something in the Air: Radio, Rock, and the Revolution that Shaped a Generation," by Marc Fisher.

"The Nitecappers were truckers, little old ladies, night clerks and insomniacs who called Jepko's studio in Utah and chatted on about garden clubs, favorite recipes and recent illnesses for five minutes each, at which point a gentle ring would interrupt, and Jepko would say, 'I hear Tinker Bell' and it would be someone else's turn," Fisher writes.

He refers to "Nitecaps" as the early "C-Span of all-night radio," going from Feb. 1, 1964, into the early 1980s. In its heyday, the show had 10.5 million listeners nightly and was heard over 255 U.S. radio stations via the Mutual Broadcasting Network.

"Jepko, his voice an even, soothing Midwestern baritone — never judged, never criticized, never made fun. He didn't tell stories; he simply presided over a non-stop stream of verbal pittter-patter that sounded like a radio version of the quiet chuckles that passed for humor in the pages of Reader's Digest," Fisher writes.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #575 on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
ummm forever lol we got them as wedding presents

I don’t think that is what I was talking about. But maybe.
Are we having fun yet?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #576 on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
@PB , I was employed by a large teaching university teaching hospital. While on the job, I formed friendships with many people with different beliefs and back grounds. I would often try to stay on the topic of food. The topic of food does not divide people. I do not stereotype people. However, I did see a pattern within the age groups. The role of religion is changing. So many people who are forty years old and younger view having a religious view as foolish. They are quick to point out that religion was the cause for the wars in our history.

Almost, but it wasn't religion per se, it was the "banksters" who discovered that by funding and debt-enslaving nations war = profit...for them!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #577 on: April 10, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »
I can recall the specifics.
On March 26th she posted screen shots from Facebook Messenger and informed everyone that he was now blocked (for the third time!).
How can a blocked person then wake her up by sending messages 2 weeks later?
Ms. Angie needs to come clean and admit to the class that she loves the drama.

Isn't drama in the same sort as "woo"?

Who doesn't love either? ::)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #578 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
Many people love all sorts of drama. That is my statement of the bloody obvious for today.   ;D

This group itself IS drama. 8)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #579 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:36 AM »
This group itself IS drama. 8)

Yes!  I like some types of drama, but not all types.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #580 on: April 10, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
Wrong jacket selected, I'm cold. :-\

I stayed at a friend’s house where we had a sweat lodge ceremony last night. I woke up this morning and had frost on my shorts. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing them at the time. They were hanging on the back porch.
Are we having fun yet?

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
  • Alpha Male Instructor/Professional Boomer
« Reply #581 on: April 10, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
I would like to have an argument, please.

Lol. Perfect @FISH :) 10/10!
Enjoying the continuing journey of discovering infinite diversity...

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #582 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #583 on: April 10, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Yes, I had no idea they were wax before vinyl. What about summer before AC?

Iirc, the masters were wax originally (I may have that wrong, maybe someone else remembers more accurately), cylinders, I think, but because they weren't very durable, Edison later developed a way to make metal masters which were then pressed onto blobs of shellac, which became the '78's we may know from our grandparents' and parents' collections of records. It was an evolving process.

And, btw, Edison actually invented the phonograph originally because he was very interested in capturing spirit voices, he believed in the afterlife and mediums, etc. and hoped to capture the voice of the departed that way.

True! +1
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #584 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
Meadowlands?
Your method sounds like one I would find the best.  ;D

Sigh. Pre-Meadowlands, it was still a swamp back then.  8)

Saratoga several times, on TV other times, once in Florida and a couple of other places, I don't remember exactly. I never took it too seriously, it was just fun for me.

I did well on slot machines, too, now and again, but played the nickel or quarter ones, again for fun. I'd set a limit to how much I would bet for the day and stop when/if I lost it all. That way it was fun, not important, and I got to practice my hunches with no pressure to be right, no big down side, no real risk. Slightly better than half the time I'd be enough ahead at the end of the day to be able to have a really nice dinner somewhere or some other wee treat from the winnings.  ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb