Author Topic: College Football  (Read 12257 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: College Football
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
Miami has a donor who has been trying to buy an elementary school that’s next to the university campus. He wants to build an on campus stadium at the site.  He’s offering to build a new, more modern school.  Miami now plays in the Dolphin’s stadium which is far across town from the University.  If he gets that done, folks think Miami football will be back.
Merry Christmas

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2022, 01:13:50 PM »

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2022, 03:25:29 PM »
Man, I’m so glad college football is back! Some great entertainment this weekend. The FSU - LSU game was a hoot, unless you were an LSU fan. “Cajun” Kelly will blow apart with a stroke if that type of game happens again.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
Man, I’m so glad college football is back! Some great entertainment this weekend. The FSU - LSU game was a hoot, unless you were an LSU fan. Cajun Kelly will blow apart with a stroke if that type of game happens again.

I haven't seen any comments by Kelly about the game, but at Cincinnati and ND he was well known for throwing his players under a bus after a loss.  When they won, he'd say "we," when they lost he'd blame the players and say "they."

I noticed three Power 5 schools played at G5 stadiums last week.  One lost (VT lost at ODU) and the others (UNC and NCSt at App St and ECU, respectively) escaped with nail biting wins.  You seldom see P5 schools play at G5 schools for a reason.....too easy to get ambushed.

Best game I saw this weekend was Iowa's 7-3 home win over FCS South Dakota St.  Iowa scored their 7 points the hard way, a FG and two safeties.  These guys were doing some serious hitting, and outmanned SDakSt went toe-to-toe with Iowa.  Great game for those who like defense and playing field position.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2022, 04:29:37 PM »
I was glad to see Georgia resume its tradition of dominating Pacific Coast Conference teams in the first game of the season.  Usually the PAC teams blamed the heat and humidity, but this time they played indoors.
Merry Christmas

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2022, 04:38:10 PM »
I was glad to see Georgia resume its tradition of dominating Pacific Coast Conference teams in the first game of the season.  Usually the PAC teams blamed the heat and humidity, but this time they played indoors.
That was an absolute beat down. Dawgs feasted on Ducks.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2022, 07:04:12 PM »

Interesting then, that they refuse to play them in bowl games.  Has there ever been a bowl game featuring the SEC vs the Pac-12?

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2022, 07:12:14 PM »
Interesting then, that they refuse to play them in bowl games.  Has there ever been a bowl game featuring the SEC vs the Pac-12?

Dec. 30, 1989, when Washington defeated Florida 34-7 in the Freedom Bowl in Anaheim, California.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2022, 07:13:16 PM »
There was this 2016 game, Alabama-Washington, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - CFP Semifinal that I vaguely recall.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400876107
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2022, 09:32:40 PM »

Sadly schools have very little voice when it comes to where or who they play in bowl games.  For the last thirty years or so, bowls have been little more than arranged marriages.  Conferences are contractually locked into bowls for finite periods and the schools themselves go where they are assigned within the conference hierarchy relative to the bowls.  ESPN, who owns many of the bowl games, also has a great deal to do with who goes where within the  conference affiliated bowls.  In addition, except in very rare circumstances, schools are not permitted to opt out of playing in a conference's affiliated bowls.

I miss the days of "every bowl for itself" where bowl committees actually had to work to convince schools to come play in their games.   You could actually have 6-7 bowl game have an impact on the eventual national championship.  Now, with the exception of three bowls designated as play-off games, all the other bowls are the college football equivalent of NIT basketball games.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2022, 09:51:08 AM »
I miss the early 80's when there were 16 bowl games that weren't named after corporations.

Duke's Mayo Bowl, Guaranteed Rate Bowl, TaxSlayer Bowl, and Tony the Tiger (Sun) Bowl just seem odd to me.

At least the winning coach of the Duke's Mayo Bowl gets doused in loads of mayo. 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2022, 10:26:13 AM »
Sadly schools have very little voice when it comes to where or who they play in bowl games.  For the last thirty years or so, bowls have been little more than arranged marriages.  Conferences are contractually locked into bowls for finite periods and the schools themselves go where they are assigned within the conference hierarchy relative to the bowls.  ESPN, who owns many of the bowl games, also has a great deal to do with who goes where within the  conference affiliated bowls.  In addition, except in very rare circumstances, schools are not permitted to opt out of playing in a conference's affiliated bowls.

I miss the days of "every bowl for itself" where bowl committees actually had to work to convince schools to come play in their games.   You could actually have 6-7 bowl game have an impact on the eventual national championship.  Now, with the exception of three bowls designated as play-off games, all the other bowls are the college football equivalent of NIT basketball games.

I just wonder why with so many bowls, not one of them matches the SEC and Pac-12.

It almost has to be intentional.

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »
I just wonder why with so many bowls, not one of them matches the SEC and Pac-12.

It almost has to be intentional.

The Pac 12 is paired with the SEC in the Las Vegas Bowl in alternating years.  They can also play in the Gasparilla Bowl.

The reason there are not more match ups is geographically.  The lesser bowls are more regional, not many fans are going to travel from the West Coast to see their 8-4 team play a 7-5 team in places like Detriot, Nashville, or Charlotte.  Too many games on or closer to the West Coast.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »
The Pac 12 is paired with the SEC in the Las Vegas Bowl in alternating years.  They can also play in the Gasparilla Bowl.

The reason there are not more match ups is geographically.  The lesser bowls are more regional, not many fans are going to travel from the West Coast to see their 8-4 team play a 7-5 team in places like Detriot, Nashville, or Charlotte.  Too many games on or closer to the West Coast.

It's something I've wondered about, and it makes sense.  It also speaks volumes about the popularity of these games.  I too would like to see a return to just a handful of meaningful bowl games.

I wonder how the conference realignments are going to affect the Pac-12.  It sure looks like it will be hollowed out if they lose USC and UCLA, then Oregon and Washington.  Who will be left that's any good?  What teams that are in the West and are decent will want to join?  And if the conferences are all going to be nationwide, what's the point (other than exposure and TV money)? 

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2022, 08:41:36 PM »
It's something I've wondered about, and it makes sense.  It also speaks volumes about the popularity of these games.  I too would like to see a return to just a handful of meaningful bowl games.

I wonder how the conference realignments are going to affect the Pac-12.  It sure looks like it will be hollowed out if they lose USC and UCLA, then Oregon and Washington.  Who will be left that's any good?  What teams that are in the West and are decent will want to join?  And if the conferences are all going to be nationwide, what's the point (other than exposure and TV money)?

The PAC 12 has backed itself into a corner when it comes to bringing in new schools.  The conference requires all members to be Tier 1 research universities, and schools like Boise and San Diego St don't qualify.  There are Tier 1 schools in the MWC (Colo St, New Mexico, UNLV, Utah St), but they don't offer much sports wise.  There are also some Big 12 schools who are Tier 1 (Baylor, K-St. Texas Tech), but I can't see them leaving the B12 for an unstable league like the P12.

I bet the B12 is spanking themselves for admitting the four mids (UCF, Cincinnati, Houston. BYU) they accepted last year. Had they known the PAC 12 was going to be in trouble after losing USC and UCLA, they could have grabbed established Power 5 programs like Utah, Arizona St, Washington, Oregon etc. BYU is a solid get, but even schools like Wash St, Cal, or Ore St would have been better than UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati.

I still don't believe both the Pac 12 and Big 12 can survive as P5 conferences.  I think there will be some type of merger, or even schools from both leagues joining together to start a new conference. The left overs could either join the MWC, join the WAC and revitalize it as a football conference, or start a new mid major league.