Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 797603 times)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #1155 on: August 25, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
Apparently I was wearing my resting bitchface last night. Whatta jerk.

Can anybody give me a high protein soup recipe? Please

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/22558/nutrient-focused-diets/high-protein/soups/
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1156 on: August 25, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »

Well, jizz-cream and chicken soup.  But it has a very high salt content. ::)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1157 on: August 26, 2019, 03:17:37 AM »

Get about a pound of good ground beef and a pound of sausage - Italian, smoked, whatever you like. If the sausage is link, slice it into thin slices. Brown the beef a bit - and the pork if it’s ground, then throw it into a crock pot. Add about a cup each of chopped onions, bell pepper, and celery. Half a teaspoon of red pepper and black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper. Add a couple of cups of chicken broth and a couple of cups of water. Salt to taste. Maybe some oregano. Set the crock pot to low and go to work. It will be ready when you get home.
Let me know how it turns out. I just made this up, and it sounds good.
Merry Christmas

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1158 on: August 26, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
I just made this up

Crock recipe for a crock pot.
Genius!

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1159 on: August 29, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1160 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:23 AM »
Mrs @KSM is a rock star in Chiang Rai as well

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1161 on: August 29, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
Mrs @KSM is a rock star in Chiang Rai as well

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Been a very long day and I have to say that, that ones gone over my head. Another beautiful picture though. Wow.  Is that guy in the middle curling a rolling pin?

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #1162 on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
@KSM

Gotcha!
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1163 on: August 29, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
@KSM

Gotcha!
I would have to say you're right. I got nuttin'  Eating dinner and off to bed. Cruel world.

..the dinosaur thing was funny and I stand by it.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1164 on: August 29, 2019, 08:24:46 PM »
Been a very long day and I have to say that, that ones gone over my head. Another beautiful picture though. Wow.  Is that guy in the middle curling a rolling pin?

A rare sculpture of the walking Buddha in a normal everyday action (not posed meditating, etc).  He's carrying a furled sun umbrella, a bag, and a walking staff with the head of Naga the serpent at the top.

Without seeing the back, he may also have an alms bowl and tea kettle slung over his shoulder - everything he'd need walking along, surrounded by devotees. 

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1165 on: August 30, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
A rare sculpture of the walking Buddha in a normal everyday action (not posed meditating, etc).  He's carrying a furled sun umbrella, a bag, and a walking staff with the head of Naga the serpent at the top.

Without seeing the back, he may also have an alms bowl and tea kettle slung over his shoulder - everything he'd need walking along, surrounded by devotees.
@PB Thanks for that. I actually knew about 70 percent of it but you've filled me in nonetheless. There's a bit of an inside outside joke about my wife angry with a rolling pin or something like it going on (see breakfast thread)  @GravitySucks is having a ball at my expense as he perpetuates the feminine anger and ire I seem to draw on a regular basis from the fairer sex. Not just the one I married.

Turns out I'm a natural when it comes to angering women. Who knew! :D

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1166 on: August 31, 2019, 03:25:58 AM »
Get about a pound of good ground beef and a pound of sausage - Italian, smoked, whatever you like. If the sausage is link, slice it into thin slices. Brown the beef a bit - and the pork if it’s ground, then throw it into a crock pot. Add about a cup each of chopped onions, bell pepper, and celery. Half a teaspoon of red pepper and black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper. Add a couple of cups of chicken broth and a couple of cups of water. Salt to taste. Maybe some oregano. Set the crock pot to low and go to work. It will be ready when you get home.
Let me know how it turns out. I just made this up, and it sounds good.
Sounds perfect!

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1167 on: August 31, 2019, 03:32:28 AM »

Easy on the protein.  You have a hormone called Sex Hormone BG and it does not like excessive protein.

If you're really bent on a high protein soup, though, put a game hen or two in a crock.  Cook a day or two until the bones and everything are completely dissolved.  Sift out the spent meat to squeeze the goods out of it before discarding it.  Skim the fat if needed (via refrigeration).  Add creamed peas or lentils.  Maybe some cooked wild rice.  Add 3 meats.  Add amino acids.  Add nutritional yeast.  Add cooked veggies.  Simmer to blend.  Season to taste.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1168 on: August 31, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »
I cannot wrap a gift to save my life.  As long as I've lived I simply cannot wrap a present and make it look nice.  Simply awful.  My presents would look better if you just put them in a washing machine with a bunch of tissue paper, or whatever, and then just went with that when all was done.  I have yet to master Scotch tape.  The ability to fold into tight creases is nil.  I have my faculties about me.  I think I'm a pretty smart guy.  However, when I wrap a present it looks like an utter failure and is quite embarrassing actually.

And yes, I know about gift bags. Some things you just can't put in a gift bag.

What is my life?
Not sure, but department stores used to offer gift wrapping service for a reasonable fee.  I could be wrong, but I think mail stations also offer it.

I know how you feel.  I was a better wrapper than my brothers, but it always seemed like such a random struggle, full of awkwardness and over-corrections and last-minute little time-consuming glitches.  However, take the horse by the reins, know going into it that it's awkward, and then look at the boxed present objectively and go from there.

If you order from the Web and ship to the person's address, you can pay in advance for gift wrap.  The card will look pre-signed, but most people understand that. Novica website offers very nice gift wrapping.

I assume you already know to box your gifts for ease of wrap?  Lately, discount stores are selling white boxes.  If you use a white box and your gift wrap has white in the colors, then errors will be less detectable.

Gift wrapping is a multi-step process.  You will need to do it at a comfortable height, like a wide kitchen counter if you have one.  A table works, but you will be bending from the hips many times.  I suppose you know you will need sharp, clean scissors and tape.  For matte finish wrap, use regular tape.  For shiny wrap, use shiny tape.  You can try double-sided Scotch tape if you want, but I'm not sure you're ready for that.

Speaking of which, Google around, because last year a man was marketing a new type of wrap that sort of wraps itself or something.  You just reminded me.

Anyhow, one of the most important things about wrapping is gauging and determining how much of a cut of wrapping paper you will need.  So, set the boxed gift on a corner of large wrap.  Of course it's easy to see how much wrap is needed for the body of the gift, because the gift sets right on that amount.  But, you have to factor in how much paper in advance you'll need for that parts of the package that are not setting on the paper.  So, pull the gift away from the corner a few inches - and start eyeballing it to gauge how much of a flap you'll need in the end for the two side ends.  If the gift is wide or square, you'll need lots of extra inches for the two side ends.  If the gift is flat, you'll only need a couple of inches at most.

THEN, and this is the most important:  From that point down, determine double the square or rectangular area, including doubling the inches away from the corner.  This can be done by folding the big sheet over the gift and creasing the point at which it doubles.  Or, by marking the place where the gift is, then moving the gift down to double that, and marking it again.

Some gift wrap has grids on the back of it, like at Dollar Tree.
  You can't always tell that when you buy it, so read the wrapper to see if it says.  So, use those lines to help you cut where you marked the cutting point.

Now, take the cut piece of wrap and set it on the counter.  Take the gift and place it upside down in the center of the wrap.  That way, when the wrap is opened, the topside of the gift is what the recipient sees.  Anyhow, pull one big side of the wrap over and tape it to the box.  I assume at this point, that you are dealing with a professionally cut piece of wrap.  If you are dealing with wrap which someone has already cut into, make sure it is perfectly square first, by trimming it.  When you have a choice between the factory cut edge vs. a home cut edge, be mindful of which cut will show after it is taped.  If one cut is crooked, fold it over to make a straight edge, and then tape it.  If the fold is straight, you can tape it on the top.  If it's crooked, tape it to the box then tape the factory cut side over it.  Anyhow, pull both big sides over the gift and tape each one.  As you get better, you won't usually have to tape the first side to the box, but eventually you can just tape the two pieces together, one over the other.  By taping the first piece to the box, you gain wrap stability, but you lose the ability to adjust the box's position toward the open ends.  Anyhow, when the two big flaps are taped, be sure they overlap!  For stability of presentation, it doesn't hurt to add extra tape.  Unless you are an expert wrapper, tape should be placed at the far ends of the gift, to stabilize the wrap well for when you have to start working with the two open ends later. 

You are halfway done.  Rotate the project to manipulate the two open end pieces.  Take the time to trim the side lengths shorter if you can tell they are too long.  They should be long enough to overlap, but not too much more.  If you can't eyeball it right, then gently test-fold one over the other to see if they are long enough.  If it's unwieldy, then trim one down.  Trimming an end piece is awkward and requires delicacy, because it is already in a u-shape while you are trimming it.  It's ok if your trim is a little crooked because everything will be tucked in by the time you're done.  Just don't short yourself by trimming too much.

Start folding and taping the two open ends:  Each open end side involves 4 steps (2 sides, the bottom and the top).  For the first open end side, take one corner of the open end wrap and run your finger down from the top of the gift to the bottom of it, pressing it in, which creates a diagonal fold.  Since you are a beginner, tape the fold to the box.  Do the same to the opposite piece, which will be even more delicate since the u-shape is now half concave.  Now take the bottom fold and bent it up, using your finger to push any creases in so they are nice and firm.  Tape it up.  Lastly, take the top piece (should look like a triangle now) and it the edge is not straight, fold it over to create a straight edge.  Bend it all down and tape it.

Do the same for the other open end side.

It's best if your original wrap size gauging is close.  However, sometimes we mis-gause.  So as you become more experienced, then you can experiment with sliding the open-ended gift up and down inside the initial large wrap, which can make the end pieces easier.  But that won't work if you have taped the very first piece to the box for stability.  It's a trade off.  I would go with stability until you are more experienced.  The only drawback is your end pieces might require extra trimming.  Anyhow, as you become more skilled, remember when you slide the gift to adjust the open end sides for the right length, you don't have to put it right in the middle and trim both open ends down to size.  No.  You can push it all the way to where it is set just right for one end.  And then you only need to trim the other side.  In general, it's easier to trim just one side when you have to, so go with that if that makes sense.  However, it's best if your original gauging is close and you don't have to finagle halfway through like this.

If there is a gap, before you rush around trying to fill the space with a teeny new cut of wrap (cheating), remember you might not have to.  If you can find super-wide ribbon, you might be able to fasten the ribbon with tape right over the little gap error, so the error never is an issue at all.

Add a ribbon or ribboning, and viola!

If you give small presents, that helps.

If you can't wrap a really large item, at least get an over-size bow for it.  Sometimes those size bows are sold in the section for Christmas tree decorations and wreaths.

Always include a card.  The shoddier the wrap, the nicer then card should be.

A well-wrapped present can mean as much to a girl or old-fashioned people as the gift itself.  It shows care and love.  In some countries, gifts are modest but the wrapping is elaborate.