Author Topic: HAPPY 3 YR ANNIVERSARY MITD AND KEITH  (Read 3632 times)

2Lord2Grantham

• KDWN
  • WSGW
Re: HAPPY 3 YR ANNIVERSARY MITD AND KEITH
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »
If memory serves DMDN was around long before MITD with plenty of self-appointed seat warmers thinking Art would make them famous.

They never knew which seat needed to be kept warm. Fame was just one mustache ride away.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lonevoice

• KDWN
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
If memory serves DMDN was around long before MITD with plenty of self-appointed seat warmers thinking Art would make them famous.
You're right about that. As best I can remember, Keith started the DMDN in 2013 as a proof of concept for SiriusXM.  Its initial purpose was to demonstrate to Sirius that Art could provide a free online stream of the Dark Matter show on his own website, only until Sirius could solve their stream dropout problem.  Keith installed a stream on Art’s website, not initially on its own website .  The first broadcast was of the air traffic control transmission from the Las Vegas airport.

As negotiations with SiriusXM began to break down, Keith moved the stream to its own website, as the DMDN.  I believe at that time Art still thought he’d be released from his non-compete and would be able to livestream on his website. Time passed and Sirius negotiations deteriorated, while the bellgab fans listened as Keith streamed “War of the Worlds” a few times, a Michio Kaku podcast, as well as one live broadcast of the Vandeven/Thornton Spec Sheet.

Eventually, SiriusXM wouldn’t release Art from the 2-year non-compete, an outcome which prohibited Art from broadcasting in any media on any platform.  Art announced on BG that he promised to return in 2 years with a free, live show on the DMDN.  In the meantime, Keith was to continue building the network and adding programming.  Art made it clear that legally he could have no connection whatsoever with DMDN, with Keith having 100% ownership of the platform for Art’s eventual return in 2015.  Art also made it clear that he never listened to any of the programs or hosts on the DMDN; though many of the “seat warmers” never quite believed his claim (I did).

From there, we all know how it turned out.  In the 2 years while waiting for Art’s return, in a fit of pique Art formally ended his relationship with Keith at least once…maybe twice?  Keith was always able to mend that fence with Art, even when it included Keith having to go on a Gabcast to repair his relationship with MV and Bellgab in the aftermath of terminating the Spec Sheet from the DMDN.

I really thought the DMDN would end when Art abandoned MITD.  Then, I had no doubt it would end when Art died.  Yet, here it remains, stronger than it’s been in 3 years.  It seems that what we have with today’s DMDN is not so much Art’s legacy, as it is Keith’s legacy.

Congratulations, Keith Rowland.  You’ve earned it. 

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »
You're right about that. As best I can remember, Keith started the DMDN in 2013 as a proof of concept for SiriusXM.  Its initial purpose was to demonstrate to Sirius that Art could provide a free online stream of the Dark Matter show on his own website, only until Sirius could solve their stream dropout problem.  Keith installed a stream on Art’s website, not initially on its own website .  The first broadcast was of the air traffic control transmission from the Las Vegas airport.

As negotiations with SiriusXM began to break down, Keith moved the stream to its own website, as the DMDN.  I believe at that time Art still thought he’d be released from his non-compete and would be able to livestream on his website. Time passed and Sirius negotiations deteriorated, while the bellgab fans listened as Keith streamed “War of the Worlds” a few times, a Michio Kaku podcast, as well as one live broadcast of the Vandeven/Thornton Spec Sheet.

Eventually, SiriusXM wouldn’t release Art from the 2-year non-compete, an outcome which prohibited Art from broadcasting in any media on any platform.  Art announced on BG that he promised to return in 2 years with a free, live show on the DMDN.  In the meantime, Keith was to continue building the network and adding programming.  Art made it clear that legally he could have no connection whatsoever with DMDN, with Keith having 100% ownership of the platform for Art’s eventual return in 2015.  Art also made it clear that he never listened to any of the programs or hosts on the DMDN; though many of the “seat warmers” never quite believed his claim (I did).

From there, we all know how it turned out.  In the 2 years while waiting for Art’s return, in a fit of pique Art formally ended his relationship with Keith at least once…maybe twice?  Keith was always able to mend that fence with Art, even when it included Keith having to go on a Gabcast to repair his relationship with MV and Bellgab in the aftermath of terminating the Spec Sheet from the DMDN.

I really thought the DMDN would end when Art abandoned MITD.  Then, I had no doubt it would end when Art died.  Yet, here it remains, stronger than it’s been in 3 years.  It seems that what we have with today’s DMDN is not so much Art’s legacy, as it is Keith’s legacy.

Congratulations, Keith Rowland.  You’ve earned it.
Thank you for your clear history here. I had the wrong idea that DMDN became an entity in the Spring of 2015 in preparation for MITD, and the Dark Matter name was probably a courtesy extended by Art to boost the network.  No wonder Karen just sums it all up, no matter the host as "Dark Matters" as she simply rebroadcasts the DMDN stream in the time slot, and that is really awesome that she still does this.

Lonevoice

• KDWN
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
Thank you for your clear history here. I had the wrong idea that DMDN became an entity in the Spring of 2015 in preparation for MITD, and the Dark Matter name was probably a courtesy extended by Art to boost the network.  No wonder Karen just sums it all up, no matter the host as "Dark Matters" as she simply rebroadcasts the DMDN stream in the time slot, and that is really awesome that she still does this.
You read all that?  ;D  It's TMI for almost anyone, but I'm a bit obsessive about the history of forums.  Remembering that late night of listening to air traffic control on Keith's first stream still makes me smile.   Speaking of Karen, bless her eyes, it would be good for Dave to follow-up on his invitation to have her back to answer questions and tell stories.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
You read all that?  ;D  It's TMI for almost anyone, but I'm a bit obsessive about the history of forums.  Remembering that late night of listening to air traffic control on Keith's first stream still makes me smile.   Speaking of Karen, bless her eyes, it would be good for Dave to follow-up on his invitation to have her back to answer questions and tell stories.
Of course :) Good solid histories keep rumours (good and bad) and false narratives at bay.  At very least they are a foundation for the right questions for those that really care. Maybe Keith might chime in with any minor clarifications and additions. He certainly would fascinating to have for a candid interview. Agreed on Karen. Now that the shock and pain has settled somewhat, a thoughtful follow up is called for. Perspective settles in everyone. There is a wider picture to be had. There is the good, the bad and the ugly, yet it is in an overall forward motion and good memories worth hanging on to.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Lonevoice’s narrative is exactly as I remember it. Jimmy Church frequently said he was keeping the seat warm for Art.
Merry Christmas

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
This is far from a trivial accomplishment.  In Jan. 2017 I accidentally (by stumbling into the studio) became aware of a new live streaming service, Newt Radio.  This was formed and staffed by former volunteer staff of Centennial College's radio station (Hackettstown NJ), who were somewhat in the mold of WFMU, but were booted after the college sold it to a NPR affiliate.  The Newton Theatre in nearby Newton funded the stream.  Although it solicited advertisers, mostly it promoted the not-for-profit theater.  It had the right stuff, the right people...but folded after a quarter of operation.  As near as I can figure, the theater's charter would not permit it to subsidize such a side business's operation from quarter to quarter, and the stream wasn't able to become self-supporting within that time.