Author Topic: Exploits And Mitigation  (Read 31485 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Exploits And Mitigation
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 06:44:33 AM »
Why does the text parser on this site always delete my closing parens ?  :P

Autotourette addin
Are we having fun yet?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
@StarrMountain
I went through this a couple of years ago. You’ll get technical answers, like the one from @Whistler, that are accurate but miss the mark in a way.

It depends on what programs you need to run and whether it or a replacement will run on Linux. I wanted to set up a computer to keep my financial information on and also to work on my intellectual property.  I was only partially successful.  The accounting program Quicken installed on Linux with no problem. The program Quickbooks, which I used for my business, would not. However, I was able to find an acceptable substitute. The programs I used for editing photographs and music would not install. These are professional programs with capabilities far beyond the usually recommended GIMP and Audacity. I ended up putting these programs on a separate Windows computer that is not connected to the Internet. So yes, I run three desktop computers. (OK Boomer).

Now , if you’re using a web browser, email program, Word, etc. there are acceptable substitutes that are usually free.  As I said, it depends.  BTW, I downloaded Linux Mint and found it very easy to install and use.
Good luck.
Merry Christmas

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
@StarrMountain
I went through this a couple of years ago. You’ll get technical answers, like the one from @Whistler, that are accurate but miss the mark in a way.

It depends on what programs you need to run and whether it or a replacement will run on Linux. I wanted to set up a computer to keep my financial information on and also to work on my intellectual property.  I was only partially successful.  The accounting program Quicken installed on Linux with no problem. The program Quickbooks, which I used for my business, would not. However, I was able to find an acceptable substitute. The programs I used for editing photographs and music would not install. These are professional programs with capabilities far beyond the usually recommended GIMP and Audacity. I ended up putting these programs on a separate Windows computer that is not connected to the Internet. So yes, I run three desktop computers. (OK Boomer).

Now , if you’re using a web browser, email program, Word, etc. there are acceptable substitutes that are usually free.  As I said, it depends.  BTW, I downloaded Linux Mint and found it very easy to install and use.
Good luck.

Bless you, and +1 Juan.  I just want to convert my Windows 7s laptops so I can still use them for the same
old non-essential crap I've always used them for. ;) ;D

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:14 PM »
Autotourette addin
LOL   -   Seems legit.  ;)   ;D
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2019, 02:44:17 AM »
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/browsers.html

Scope out your favorite browser to see how badly it rats you out, and how to fix it.
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 01:59:18 AM »

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2020, 07:26:29 AM »
Of the browsers, Brave sends to its masters the least data, Edge and Yandex the most.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/brave-deemed-most-private-browser-in-terms-of-phoning-home/
Merry Christmas