Author Topic: Have Culture, Entertainment Declined?  (Read 10154 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: Have Culture, Entertainment Declined?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
We were promised flying cars and robot maids by now.
Merry Christmas

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »

I stole your thunder. Don't tell the forum police.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »

That dude Art interviewed way back when with the Wankel engine design sure turned out to be a disappointment in the long run. And Roombas won’t even act on voice command.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »
We did get pizza punch. Is that what Art and Ramona called it?

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
We did get pizza punch. Is that what Art and Ramona called it?

I once thought that was an actual soft drink. It sounded like the worst tasting punch in the world.  :P

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
I once thought that was an actual soft drink. It sounded like the worst tasting punch in the world.  :P
You likely never got a chance to try:

..Alka Seltzer meets Kool Aid...

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 01:40:13 AM »
No, but I'm 2 decades before you and this entire joint feels like a Mexican prison.

:'(
do you look back fondly on the brutal gang rapes?  Time has a way of mellowing experiences, I have heard.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 01:41:39 AM »
YES!

Likely before your time but you have to smell grade school test purple mimeograph paper too:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ah yeah, fresh of the drum...…*sniff*

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 01:46:05 AM »
I was cool with grunge and rap. My main problem was with grunge fashion because it replaced sexy '80s clothes. The young women dressed like hippies. Now, purple-haired chicks wear their pajamas in grocery stores!
yeah, man  It's fucking bizarro world out there.  When I think 80's I get the feels for songs like

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 03:19:56 AM »
Sofia, your post is huge! I would like to address at least one thing. It's sometimes necessary for both the dad and the mom to work. I was a latchkey kid. My mom entered the workforce when I started kindergarten. Babysitters and neighbors watched me until I was in fifth grade or sixth grade. It was no big deal. This situation was very common for Generation X kids.
I totally understand.  I had many latchkey days and Mom was very lucky I never got pregnant.  She didn't work much, but she didn't like to stay home much, either.  But many others were raised in random daycares, where there isn't always an incentive to do a good job.  Neighbors had to do a good job if they wanted reciprocity with your parents.  Babysitters have incentives to do a good job, if your parents know their parents.  But, a daycare?  There is no built-in accountability, aside from avoiding illegal actions like neglect and abuse.  I'm glad you turned out well.

Did your daycare drive you to kindergarten?  What time did you have to get to daycare in the mornings?  How did you get to daycare from school?

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
You likely never got a chance to try:

..Alka Seltzer meets Kool Aid...

What could possibly go wrong? It sounds like Willy Wonka had a nervous breakdown.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
yeah, man  It's fucking bizarro world out there.  When I think 80's I get the feels for songs like

I love the Jam. "Snap!" is a desert island album, even though I wouldn't be able to play it if I was stranded.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
I totally understand.  I had many latchkey days and Mom was very lucky I never got pregnant.  She didn't work much, but she didn't like to stay home much, either.  But many others were raised in random daycares, where there isn't always an incentive to do a good job.  Neighbors had to do a good job if they wanted reciprocity with your parents.  Babysitters have incentives to do a good job, if your parents know their parents.  But, a daycare?  There is no built-in accountability, aside from avoiding illegal actions like neglect and abuse.  I'm glad you turned out well.

Did your daycare drive you to kindergarten?  What time did you have to get to daycare in the mornings?  How did you get to daycare from school?

I never went to daycare. I had a babysitter for a bit. I stayed with neighbors for a while, and I stayed by myself in fifth grade or sixth grade. I have no PTSD from the experience.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
@Nucky Nolan  You mentioned girls with purple hair in pajama pants out in public. What a fucking epidemic this is! They can vote!!!??? Good Lord! Was in my local home depot last weekend and there were two of them behind me in the same isle. As they passed me one of them was telling her friend how overjoyed she was that her burp tasted like EGG SALAD!! She was saying things like "Bonus dude" "like a free lunch" Disgusting slobs. And hell yeah, a free lunch is exactly what they're looking for. >:(

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
@Nucky Nolan  You mentioned girls with purple hair in pajama pants out in public. What a fucking epidemic this is! They can vote!!!??? Good Lord! Was in my local home depot last weekend and there were two of them behind me in the same isle. As they passed me one of them was telling her friend how overjoyed she was that her burp tasted like EGG SALAD!! She was saying things like "Bonus dude" "like a free lunch" Disgusting slobs. And hell yeah, a free lunch is exactly what they're looking for. >:(

We live in strange times! Wearing jammies in public places was once the province of scary nightmares. Next, we'll see chicks, in lingerie and underwear, at the grocery store. I won't complain, though.  ;)