Author Topic: I just realized it's basically the same story!  (Read 3431 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
I just realized it's basically the same story!
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »
I just realized The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is basically the same story as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  For certain values of "basically".

You?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: I just realized it's basically the same story!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »
I was hoping I'd started a thread of people naming stories they realized are basically the same as other stories in movies or TV.  Either people didn't get the hint, or don't think that's an interesting thing to observe, or think all stories are different.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 03:40:31 AM »
Aren’t all stories “the stranger comes to town” or “person arrives in a new place?”
Merry Christmas

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:44:16 PM »
Aren’t all stories “the stranger comes to town” or “person arrives in a new place?”
Say, aren't those both the same?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 02:55:01 AM »
They’re told from a different point of view.
Merry Christmas

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »
No.  Neither of those 2 movies I mentioned fit either of those.

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:14:48 PM »
a retelling of a story is ages old... just ask Shakespeare.

on that note....

“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ― Robert Wilensky

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 06:27:35 AM »
Not exactly the same story, but I noticed that both The Manchurian Candidate (book and movie) and Strangers on a Train (movie; haven't read the book but heard it's the same on this detail) are about the troubles that befall those who get involved with a US senator's daughter.

Both stories (and especially details of the movies) are alluded to via clues on Lost.  Condon's novel, The Manchurian Candidate, I read 2 years ago after my housemate Steve died and I picked up his copy, although Damon Lindelof's father David had shown me the video years ago.  After I read it, I realized what Lost characters meant when they referred to "candidates".  I also gathered from clips of Strangers on a Train that I should see that movie in connection with Lost, and I got my opportunity a few weeks ago while in the hospital following a heart attack, it being on Turner Classics as part of some railroad-themed sequence of movies they were showing.

Strangers on a Train was one of 3 Hitchcock movies, the others being Psycho and North By Northwest, that provided clues to LostThe Manchurian Candidate and Seconds were Frankenheimer movies (and novels) that also had clues to Lost.  Since those two along with Seven Days In May are alleged to be Frankenheimer's paranoid trilogy, I wonder whether that last, which I haven't seen, also has clues to Lost.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 06:12:51 PM »
This weekend I realized Psycho and Mad, Mad World are also basically the same story.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
This weekend I realized Psycho and Mad, Mad World are also basically the same story.

You can't be serious.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »
You can't be serious.

He also thinks The Flintstones and The Honeymooners are nothing alike.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
Surely you can't be serious.

I am serious. And don't call me Shirly. @ShayP

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »
You can't be serious.
There's loot.  One or more nutty persons luck into learning about the stolen loot to get their hands on it.  The one who first had or knew about the loot dies violently early in the movie.  That's both Psycho and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
He also thinks The Flintstones and The Honeymooners are nothing alike.
Flintstones = Honeymooners + Stone Age Cartoons

however

Honeymooners = Laurel & Hardy

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »
Not the same basic story, but a story that works only because at some point characters knew they were under video surveillance: the movie Glass and TV serial Lost.  An important difference, however, is that Mr. Glass wanted to document something that was really happening, while on Lost they wanted to document something that only appeared to be happening.

The technique used by Lost was pioneered by The Surveillance Camera Players: a real-life clandestine troupe of actors who liked to prank the authorities by pantomining crimes and weird events, then running away.  Since there was no sound transmission or recording, people at the scene were less likely to notice, but if they did they'd see these people doing it mutely.