Author Topic: linux and computer hardware question??  (Read 3478 times)

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
linux and computer hardware question??
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
What type of computer hardware goes well with a linux based OS? Does Dell computers goes well for an example or more of a custom build one?

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: linux and computer hardware question??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
most
What type of computer hardware goes well with a linux based OS? Does Dell computers goes well for an example or more of a custom build one?
linux has very good driver support. most intel based computers will work without issue. amd ryzen may require a bit of work to get various things working correctly, this depends on the board used. anything older than ryzen is well supported under linux.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
most linux has very good driver support. most intel based computers will work without issue. amd ryzen may require a bit of work to get various things working correctly, this depends on the board used. anything older than ryzen is well supported under linux.
Ok thanks.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
I installed Linux Mint on a seven year old Dell laptop i3.
Merry Christmas

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
There is a ton of older hardware that works with Linux. Have helped several friends over the years to get it working to bring life back to some old computers. My last experience with Linux was a few years ago when I was testing it out for my new Plex server. Once setup correctly, it worked well. I had to end up going with Windows on that machine as some of the other media software needed Windows.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »
I installed Linux Mint on a seven year old Dell laptop i3.

Seconded. Old Dell laptop going to be chucked and figured, what the heck, installed Linux Mint a few years ago. Works great. Nothing major:  just internet, watch movies, email, and basic non-work "office" stuff like simple/small LibreOffice spreadsheets etc, and  but works like a charm and MUCH faster when still was running the old laptop with Windows.

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
@Hello Damon:
Linux is pretty good w/ hardware support, especially the new OSs of any major distro.
Specialized Linux spins may be more problematic, but it's still not as bad as it was @ the turn of the century. Most articles that warn against hardware incompatabilities are using information regurgitated from around that time.
Stick with thae major distros and you should be fine.   ;)
When you become more adept w/ Linux, in general, then you might want to start disto hopping. You'll know when that is if you play with your system enough.  ;)

Okay, I thought this might be a good place to drop this...
(This is for people with an ancient system sitting around collecting dust)

An acquaintence of mine had a game camera and wanted to just view the pics on his computer.
No internet required, nothing else required, just a picture viewer.
They were going to buy a new laptop just for that.
When I asked them about the old one sitting on the desk, they said it was junk.
They let me check it out - nothing wrong w/ it, just old; and I mean Reeeeeeeeealy old.
That sucker was ancient - were talking Pre-Pentium 3.
I tried out a bunch of different OSs that I never had a problem with on my ancient P4 system, and they all had glitches on that CRT display w/ DDR1 RAM (an entire 512 MB of it - lol.)
I asked them if I could work on it - save them the cost of a new machine.
If I couldn't get it to work, no loss.

I did some searching, and came across Haiku OS.
It was still in Pre-Beta
Burnt it and played w/ it on a live disk, on the machine.
For a single purpose computer, that OS kicked ass.
Even with only 512 MB of DDR1 RAM, I could load and view over 150 pictures, (full size and most of them over 1MB.) before the system started to slow down - clicking through them as fast as I could punch the mouse button.
The beauty part was that the system never locked up on me.
Haiku OS has been in Beta now,  since 2018.
There was one of the two RAM slots open, so I dumped a 256MB RAM stick in it (I had laying around,) and it took care of the slowdown afterr 150 or so, pics.
Boot time for that OS also went down to about 5 seconds or less.
She handled SD cards and USB just fine.

So, what's my point ?
1. With Linux (or BSD - for more advanced users,) where there's a will, there's a way.
2. Those old machines can be re-purposed, saving you some jing.   ;)
3. It's more than just a WinDoze world out there.
4. Single purpose machines have a place, and Linux / BSD can help you bring that purpose to fruition.
5. Haiku doesn't run XORG., and the interface is instantaneously quick.

Some of the strong points of BeOS (from 1998)
Here's a 2018 review of the Beta - w/ screenshots; for those that are interested.      ;)

If you want to play w/ the live disk / USB

It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 08:16:14 AM »
@Hello Damon:
Linux is pretty good w/ hardware support, especially the new OSs of any major distro.
Specialized Linux spins may be more problematic, but it's still not as bad as it was @ the turn of the century. Most articles that warn against hardware incompatabilities are using information regurgitated from around that time.
Stick with thae major distros and you should be fine.   ;)
When you become more adept w/ Linux, in general, then you might want to start disto hopping. You'll know when that is if you play with your system enough.  ;)

Okay, I thought this might be a good place to drop this...
(This is for people with an ancient system sitting around collecting dust)

An acquaintence of mine had a game camera and wanted to just view the pics on his computer.
No internet required, nothing else required, just a picture viewer.
They were going to buy a new laptop just for that.
When I asked them about the old one sitting on the desk, they said it was junk.
They let me check it out - nothing wrong w/ it, just old; and I mean Reeeeeeeeealy old.
That sucker was ancient - were talking Pre-Pentium 3.
I tried out a bunch of different OSs that I never had a problem with on my ancient P4 system, and they all had glitches on that CRT display w/ DDR1 RAM (an entire 512 MB of it - lol.)
I asked them if I could work on it - save them the cost of a new machine.
If I couldn't get it to work, no loss.

I did some searching, and came across Haiku OS.
It was still in Pre-Beta
Burnt it and played w/ it on a live disk, on the machine.
For a single purpose computer, that OS kicked ass.
Even with only 512 MB of DDR1 RAM, I could load and view over 150 pictures, (full size and most of them over 1MB.) before the system started to slow down - clicking through them as fast as I could punch the mouse button.
The beauty part was that the system never locked up on me.
Haiku OS has been in Beta now,  since 2018.
There was one of the two RAM slots open, so I dumped a 256MB RAM stick in it (I had laying around,) and it took care of the slowdown afterr 150 or so, pics.
Boot time for that OS also went down to about 5 seconds or less.
She handled SD cards and USB just fine.

So, what's my point ?
1. With Linux (or BSD - for more advanced users,) where there's a will, there's a way.
2. Those old machines can be re-purposed, saving you some jing.   ;)
3. It's more than just a WinDoze world out there.
4. Single purpose machines have a place, and Linux / BSD can help you bring that purpose to fruition.
5. Haiku doesn't run XORG., and the interface is instantaneously quick.

Some of the strong points of BeOS (from 1998)
Here's a 2018 review of the Beta - w/ screenshots; for those that are interested.      ;)

If you want to play w/ the live disk / USB
thanks for the info.

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 03:26:31 AM »
So I have installed Ubuntu on one of my laptop. So far its running good and I have no issues. Its better then windows.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 06:27:45 AM »
So I have installed Ubuntu on one of my laptop. So far its running good and I have no issues. Its better then windows.

I have an "Auto Update Expired" HP Chromebook I need to get some sort of Linux on (one of these days)

It sucks because it came with "lifetime" T-Mobile data. But not that much, it was limited to 200MB or something ridiculous like that.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 06:37:11 AM »
I found Linux Mint to work well on my old laptop.  So long as there are programs that do what you want to do.
Merry Christmas