Author Topic: Fruit and Vegetable Labels  (Read 176781 times)

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
Re: Fruit and Vegetable Labels
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/entertainment/tn-wknd-et-bradford-house-20170420-story.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._S._Bradford_House

A. S. Bradford House, 136 Palm Circle, Placentia, California. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
By Cbl62 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19457378

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »
Great find! I have trouble finding good history on a lot of the good lables that I see.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2018, 06:18:28 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Great find! I have trouble finding good history on a lot of the good lables that I see.

Thanks, @BartEllProducer.  Yes, it's kind of a roll of the dice on whether certain info can be found regarding these labels.  Usually a packing company name, or it's owner will lead to something but also might be too generic in nature and will only match up with newer packing houses, etc.  Also, a lot of my searches lead right back to the label itself, haha.  In the case of the American Fruit Growers, Inc. label below, I got lucky and found a picture of (I'm assuming) their main office bldg. or a packing house, plus a couple of court cases that they were involved in.  That's one thing about these fruit growers, they were often involved in lawsuits.  I'm no Perry Mason, but I do enjoy reading the judges decisions regarding some of these cases.  Some of them I don't quite understand and I'm hoping that mr. @albrecht will read them and give us the court's outcome in layman's terms.   I think one of those court decisions below (American Fruit Growers v. Parker) involved an apples/oranges lawsuit.  Only in this case, it was an orange/grapefruit court battle.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

https://businesswiki.info/company/wa/397008708/perham-fruit-corporation
https://www.goodfruit.com/last-bite-13/
https://www.leagle.com/decision/194943884fsupp3541351
A quick scan, basically the Fruit Company was suing Cunard over spoilage etc and Cunard was claiming Washington State was not the proper jurisdiction because they were only soliciting business there; not actually operating there. But they had an office in Seattle. Both sides gave their arguments and case law and it was decided that it was proper for Cunard to be sued in Washington State courts and wasn't an undue burden etc. And so Cunard motion to dismiss was denied, as was the other motion to dismiss in the other pending case, and so the case(s) continue....

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »

Photo of American Fruit Growers, Inc. building: https://www.loc.gov/resource/mrg.04638/
Lawsuit: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/283/1.html
Another lawsuit: https://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/american-fruit-growers-v-parker-25500
A brief read is that the court said basically their washing process is not patent-able because it is not materially improving, changing, reforming, etc the fruit. After the borax process (or whatever) you still end up with a lemon, or whatever, fruit.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
Thanks, @BartEllProducer.  Yes, it's kind of a roll of the dice on whether certain info can be found regarding these labels.  Usually a packing company name, or it's owner will lead to something but also might be too generic in nature and will only match up with newer packing houses, etc.  Also, a lot of my searches lead right back to the label itself, haha.  In the case of the American Fruit Growers, Inc. label below, I got lucky and found a picture of (I'm assuming) their main office bldg. or a packing house, plus a couple of court cases that they were involved in.  That's one thing about these fruit growers, they were often involved in lawsuits.  I'm no Perry Mason, but I do enjoy reading the judges decisions regarding some of these cases.  Some of them I don't quite understand and I'm hoping that mr. @albrecht will read them and give us the court's outcome in layman's terms.   I think one of those court decisions below (American Fruit Growers v. Parker) involved an apples/oranges lawsuit.  Only in this case, it was an orange/grapefruit court battle.

Always very interesting reads when you can find information about them.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

Maybe more suitable for melons but who am I to judge. Where can I buy these grapes!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »

Maybe more suitable for melons but who am I to judge. Where can I buy these grapes!

Ha.  I certainly do love some of these illustrated 'beauty' labels.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the court decision interpretations mr. @albrecht.  I surprised myself by reading the entire 'soaking oranges in borax is a process, not an invention' case.  It took me like twenty minutes to get through it.  I noticed that before the decision, American Fruit Growers were forbidden to use the process on their oranges.  Also I liked how the Supreme Court judges brought forth information from previous trials.  In fact, one of them was from an Anheuser-Busch Brewing case.
And in Anheuser-Busch Brewing Ass'n v. United States, 207 U.S. 556, 562 , 28 S. Ct. 204, 206, where it was claimed that corks for bottles which had undergone special treatment after importation thereby became articles manufactured in the United States, this Court said: 'Manufacture implies a change, but every change is not manufacture, and yet every change in an article is the result of treatment, labor, and manipulation. But something more is necessary, as set forth and illustrated in Hartranft v. Wiegmann, 121 U. S. [283 U.S. 1, 13]   609, 7 S. Ct. 1240. There must be transformation; a new and different article must emerge 'having a distinctive name, character, or use."

Did you see the familiar name in that American Fruit Growers v. Parker case? 
COUNSEL:  Earl Warren, Attorney General, Robert W. Kenny, Attorney General, Walter L. Bowers, Deputy Attorney General, Ivan G. McDaniel and George C. Lyon for Appellants.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
Thanks for the court decision interpretations mr. @albrecht.  I surprised myself by reading the entire 'soaking oranges in borax is a process, not an invention' case.  It took me like twenty minutes to get through it.  I noticed that before the decision, American Fruit Growers were forbidden to use the process on their oranges.  Also I liked how the Supreme Court judges brought forth information from previous trials.  In fact, one of them was from an Anheuser-Busch Brewing case.   
Did you see the familiar name in that American Fruit Growers v. Parker case?
@Rikki Gins
An interesting up-bringing and distinguished and interesting career. Among other things- and since it is Veteran's Day, let us note that he tried to sign up but the Army wouldn't take him due to hemorrhoids! Too much sitting around as a lawyer?   ;) But he had an operation and was able to join up but soon after Armistice Day happened, so never in the field. But note the differences between back then and some more recent times. Trying, even getting procedures, so that you COULD join up for a war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Warren

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2018, 05:15:33 AM »