Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503501 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
I don't quite know how it works, but after I take a postcard out of the box, I will scan it onto my desktop and from there, transport the image to a free picture processing site called Postimage (https://postimages.org/)  where I get a Direct link https code that fits inside the Insert Image brackets in the EllGab Post reply box.  The postcard image comes out nice and big, that way.  Actually your attached images look just fine and will enlarge nicely after a couple clicks.  I should use the attachment feature more often, especially in the 100 Years Ago thread.  I like how it gives you a count as to how many people are viewing the image.  I hope this helps you.

That makes sense, you're downloading an image from the internet (after you've uploaded it there).  For some reason the forum software handles that better.

Thanks, I'll look into doing that as well

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #721 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
My next question is how on earth you can read the handwriting on these things...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #722 on: January 28, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
Here's another one.  The caption on the front is the same as what was written on the original photo in white (other than the misspelling...).  Note it say General Grant, not President Grant, so the photo was prior to his election.  Was this taken during the Civil War?  A Matthew Brady?

The first handwritten line on the back starts ''Malone June 5''.  It's hard to make out, but the postmark is from Malone, NY.  The mailing date is June 5, and I think it's 1912.  No idea what the address says other than Cal(ifornia?)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #723 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:36 PM »
That makes sense, you're downloading an image from the internet (after you've uploaded it there).  For some reason the forum software handles that better.

Thanks, I'll look into doing that as well

If you click on Insert Attachment it will add the full sized picture to your post instead of just the thumbnail.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
If you click on Insert Attachment it will add the full sized picture to your post instead of just the thumbnail.

I didn't realize that was a clickable field.  I went back and modified my post, now the image is huge.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #725 on: January 28, 2019, 06:12:50 PM »
I didn't realize that was a clickable field.  I went back and modified my post, now the image is huge.

It automatically resizes them to the width of the screen so nobody should have to scroll to see the whole pic

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #726 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »
Here's another one.  The caption on the front is the same as what was written on the original photo in white (other than the misspelling...).  Note it say General Grant, not President Grant, so the photo was prior to his election.  Was this taken during the Civil War?  A Matthew Brady?

The first handwritten line on the back starts ''Malone June 5''.  It's hard to make out, but the postmark is from Malone, NY.  The mailing date is June 5, and I think it's 1912.  No idea what the address says other than Cal(ifornia?)

Another fun postcard, PB, thanks.  I checked that stamp first, it might be a 1908 to 1909 Franklin, or a 1910 to 1911 Franklin, I can't tell which.

I am puzzled by the Grant photo.  The earliest mention I could find of Pine Camp was in 1907.  I certainly didn't know this, but President Grant had a son, one Frederick Dent Grant who was a Brigadier General himself.  He was in charge of training ten thousand troops at Pine Camp, NY back in 1908.  https://dmna.ny.gov/forts/fortsM_P/pineCamp.htm  And yet the title on that card does say U.S. Grant.  Those tents do look like the ones used during the Civil War.

I came across a Hammonton, California, which is what the town name on the card looks like to me.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammonton,_California 

I know, sometimes it is damn hard to decipher the handwriting on the backs of postcards.  What makes it hard for me is when someone writes real small and fills every little space up with lettering.  Kind of tedious, but sometimes you can enlarge the words enough to make them out.  @Spookcat  is expert at making words out.  She has helped me out a number of times.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #727 on: January 28, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »

Thanks, Bart.  I didn't know that.
U.S. Grant during the Civil War.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2019, 01:13:41 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you were to sit with me and look at my box of postcards, I would hand you this postcard showing a long ago boy standing in front of a house and you would swear that it was a real photograph.  You can't see it on the scan, but it is nice and shiny, just like a photograph.  Actually, it is a real photograph that has been converted into a postcard.  They are called real photo postcards, in the postcard trade.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The back of the picture shows that it is a real postcard.  There is regular textured paper on the back and it isn't smooth and glossy like the front.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #729 on: January 29, 2019, 05:19:26 AM »

1912 is correct.

"Malone June 5th Dear
friend Eddie received
your letter and I thank
You for your kind entrest
in my son sickness your
People are all well back here
here we are having lots
of rain and the farmers
is all backword in geting
in there crops good by
with best wishes yours
Laurence McMahon Sr"

To
 "Edward Carlin
Hammonton Cal"

From Wikipedia:
A post office operated at Hammonton from 1906 to 1957. The original name was due to gold dredging which took place in the nearby Yuba Goldfields. The current name is in honor of W.P. Hammon, gold-dredging company official.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #730 on: January 29, 2019, 06:13:25 AM »
Complete nonsense.
Water travel was not invented until 1941.

What?  You mean the Irish Rovers lied?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #731 on: January 29, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »
What?  You mean the Irish Rovers lied?

Yes.
They were Scottish.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #732 on: January 29, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
1912 is correct.

"Malone June 5th Dear
friend Eddie received
your letter and I thank
You for your kind entrest
in my son sickness your
People are all well back here
here we are having lots
of rain and the farmers
is all backword in geting
in there crops good by
with best wishes yours
Laurence McMahon Sr"

To
 "Edward Carlin
Hammonton Cal"

From Wikipedia:
A post office operated at Hammonton from 1906 to 1957. The original name was due to gold dredging which took place in the nearby Yuba Goldfields. The current name is in honor of W.P. Hammon, gold-dredging company official.

Wow, Spookcat, that's amazing - thanks!.  I have to print because I can't even read my own cursive.

Were you a teacher, or have some other job where you had to be able to read lots of different handwriting?

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #733 on: January 29, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
Wow, Spookcat, that's amazing - thanks!.  I have to print because I can't even read my own cursive.

Were you a teacher, or have some other job where you had to be able to read lots of different handwriting?

No. I just occasionally log into the Smithsonian volunteer transcription stuff.  :)
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #734 on: January 29, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
Here's another military themed post card.  It was sent to the same person as the Gen Grant car, which I hadn't noticed until just now.

The where and when are right on the front of the card, the post mark is Nov 29 and looks like 1917.  If so the war has been going on in Europe for several years, the US would have entered the war 7 months prior in April.  The sender gives his location (Camp Mills) and company on the back in the upper left

Was a regimental hike part of boot camp/basic training?  There's a dog leading the group, several trombones, drums, trumpets, some sort of flute, and probably more to march by.  On the far right is an open-topped vehicle heading in the opposite direction.