Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511053 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #750 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:56 AM »
It looks like the message goes something like the following. 

''Hello:  How is
everything up
your way.
  Especially the Auto
ride.  Come over
give Lawrencey a ride
and have a game
of ball.  How do you
like my picture.  L -  ''

A spot on translation.  This is why I like postcards that have been used.  It is fun to read the actual writing of people who lived such a long time ago.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #751 on: February 01, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
This one's interesting, Red Raven was aperient water sold as a hangover cure from the 1890s into Prohibition.

https://finbotclub.blogspot.com/2015/12/red-raven-splits.html 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The back says for the address only, so she wrote the message on the front, from the left, across the bottom, to the right it looks like:

SF / Cal  4 - 11th / 07
That's the trouble

- can't read the rest here, written on the white building -

I'm booked for Mexico.  Mae.  Get busy

There's much news to tell you
Come on up
Answer by return mail.  See

Two postmarks, the first in San Francisco where it was mailed, the other San Jose where the recipient lived

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #752 on: February 01, 2019, 11:12:22 PM »
Fascinating, PB.  That Red Raven postcard is something else.  Pretty rare too, I would venture to say.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #753 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #754 on: February 02, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »
Fascinating, PB.  That Red Raven postcard is something else.  Pretty rare too, I would venture to say.

It's a great card!

Tried to see what I could learn  about Miss Freda Soto but didn't come up with much.  East San Jose was annexed by San Jose in 1911.
There is still an Adams Drive but the tract homes there were built in 1970 and the street numbers start at 1000.  Looks like you can
pick one up - 1,500 sq feet for well over a million bucks.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #755 on: February 02, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »

I thought the Red Raven was beer or maybe something harder right up until I posted it and figured I'd google it to see what it was.  I also thought it was much newer.  Scrolling down the bottle collector's blog I linked includes a couple different versions of the card.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #756 on: February 02, 2019, 06:06:37 AM »
It's a great card!

Tried to see what I could learn  about Miss Freda Soto but didn't come up with much.  East San Jose was annexed by San Jose in 1911.
There is still an Adams Drive but the tract homes there were built in 1970 and the street numbers start at 1000.  Looks like you can
pick one up - 1,500 sq feet for well over a million bucks.

Quite a few of these cards are in cartoon form, but most of those are holiday themed or general humor - this might be the only one advertising a product.

When I assumed it was booze, it never quite made sense - I thought it was perhaps a warning not to drink too much.

My uncle used to live in San Jose, and I remember the family being shocked when he bought a small house for something like $230,000 years ago.  I think he did ok on it

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #757 on: February 02, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
Rally Day

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #758 on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #759 on: February 02, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »

This is such a nice scene, nice day, outdoors, friendly canoeists, bright colors, who wouldn't want to go there.  It could just as easily have been something put out by the Minnesota tourism bureau

I have tons of scenic cards, but most of them are either faded or seem so random and ordinary I wonder why anyone took the pic and then made a postcard of it...

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #760 on: February 02, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »
This is such a nice scene, nice day, outdoors, friendly canoeists, bright colors, who wouldn't want to go there.  It could just as easily have been something put out by the Minnesota tourism bureau

I have tons of scenic cards, but most of them are either faded or seem so random and ordinary I wonder why anyone took the pic and then made a postcard of it...

I know.  Scenic cards definitely fall into the dime a dozen category.  There are some good ones out there, of course.  If a flying saucer were to take me away on a long journey, I would grab some of my more colorful scenic cards.  They would be a nice reminder of good ol' planet earth.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #761 on: February 02, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Katzenjammer_Kids

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #762 on: February 02, 2019, 11:43:12 PM »
It's a boy.  Bold colors unfaded on this card mailed July 31,1914

This stamp was part of a series issued in 1913 to commemorate the upcoming Panama-Pacific Exposition to be held in San Francisco in 1915.  The four stamp series attempts to associate SF with Panama, and indeed SF will be a major beneficiary of shipping passing through the canal.   The stamps in the series:

1c green ''Balboa 1513'' (first European to see the Pacific Ocean from the Americas, during his expedition that year in what is now Panama)
2c red ''Panama Canal''
5c blue SF's ''Golden Gate''
10c yellow ''Discovery of San Francisco Bay'' (by the Spanish)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #763 on: February 03, 2019, 01:13:07 AM »
It's a boy.  Bold colors unfaded on this card mailed July 31,1914

This stamp was part of a series issued in 1913 to commemorate the upcoming Panama-Pacific Exposition to be held in San Francisco in 1915.  The four stamp series attempts to associate SF with Panama, and indeed SF will be a major beneficiary of shipping passing through the canal.   The stamps in the series:

1c green ''Balboa 1513'' (first European to see the Pacific Ocean from the Americas, during his expedition that year in what is now Panama)
2c red ''Panama Canal''
5c blue SF's ''Golden Gate''
10c yellow ''Discovery of San Francisco Bay'' (by the Spanish)

I hope that baby boy had a good life.  He would be 105 if he were alive today.  Very cool stork and stamp.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #764 on: February 03, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Souvenirs from the St Louis World's Fair. 

It's official name was The Louisiana Purchase Exposition, and was held to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase.  It was delayed until 1904 to allow participation by more states (43 of the 45 at the time) and foreign countries (more than 60).  In conjunction with the Exposition, the U.S. Post Office issued a 5 stamp series celebrating the anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase, and the Fair also hosted the 1904 Summer Olympics.

World Fairs are known for presenting new technology, innovation, and scientific discoveries.  This card is of the Palace of Electricity, where  new applications of electricity and light waves for communication and medical use were displayed.  In addition to educating and entertaining the public, one goal of the exhibitions in this building was to dispel popular misconceptions about electricity.

The Festival Hall with it's water cascades in front was the centerpiece of the main view at the fair.  It was for entertainment and dining, - the auditorium (under the dome) had seating for 3500 people, and room on the stage for hundreds of musicians.  The East and West Cascade Restaurants (on each side of the dome) could each seat 1,200 (Rik, there must be a postcard of these restaurants out there).

Note the logo on the back at the bottom left.  It took me awhile to realize the stylized LPE is for Louisiana Purchase Exhibition.

The cards have a bit of silvery shimmer to them that doesn't come out in these images.  The borders are actually silver and more distinct.  Neither card is quite as wide as the standard post card, and The Palace of Electricity card is a quarter of an inch or so shorter in length than the other.  Comparing the backs, it appears both were slightly trimmed - one on the right side, the other on the left