Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503336 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »
Here is a real photograph that had been turned into a postcard and sent through the mail some 108 years ago.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

P.S.  Don't look up Woodville, Oregon on a map.  Its name was changed to Rogue River back in 1912.  Woodville itself was named after a guy whose last name was Wood.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
So nice of you to say.  Perhaps I should bring forth one of my signature scrambled egg cakes?  That might wow even the diet soda crowd.  haha

Ha I'll try anything once!  That one has me stumped.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Here is a real photograph that had been turned into a postcard and sent through the mail some 108 years ago.

The question here is which is lazy Susie and which is the rather-shrewish Mary -- I assume they are the two flanking Mama.  I know my picks!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
The question here is which is lazy Susie and which is the rather-shrewish Mary -- I assume they are the two flanking Mama.  I know my picks!

I was chuckling at the way Mary wrote 'Sectary'  in front of her name.  But much to my chagrin, there really is a word with that spelling.  It has to do with being a nonconforming Protestant.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sectary 

Nah, I think she simply misspelled secretary.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »
Oh wow, that bird looks almost 3-D to me, Tootsie.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
Oh wow, that bird looks almost 3-D to me, Tootsie.

:)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »
Here is an advertising postcard for the Oceans West Gallery and Gift Shop in Lincoln City, Oregon.  The town sits next to the Pacific Ocean.  I don't think we could have bought postcards at the place.  They seem to have sold artists paintings and the like.  Bottles of wine, too.  Free wine tasting.

I couldn't find any current information on the business but I did locate the building.  I can't make out the sign but it appears to be a surfboard shop now.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Here is an advertising postcard for the Oceans West Gallery and Gift Shop in Lincoln City, Oregon.  The town sits next to the Pacific Ocean.  I don't think we could have bought postcards at the place.  They seem to have sold artists paintings and the like.  Bottles of wine, too.  Free wine tasting.

I couldn't find any current information on the business but I did locate the building.  I can't make out the sign but it appears to be a surfboard shop now.

That is why we can't have records:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_River

"The world's shortest title was lost in 1989 when Guinness named the Roe River in Montana as the world's shortest. Attempting to reclaim the title, the people of Lincoln City submitted a new measurement to Guinness of about 120 feet (37 m) marked at "extreme high tide".  At that time, Lincoln City's Chamber of Commerce described the Roe as a "drainage ditch surveyed for a school project." Montana supporters shot back that the D was merely an "ocean water backup," pointed out that there was an alternative fork to the Roe which was only 30 feet (9.1 m) long, and suggested that a new survey be conducted. Guinness apparently never ruled on the dispute, leaving the claim by the Roe stand, but instead chose to no longer list a shortest river, possibly as a result of this ongoing dispute. Starting in 2006, the Guinness Book of World Records did not list a category for shortest river"

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
That is why we can't have records:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_River

"The world's shortest title was lost in 1989 when Guinness named the Roe River in Montana as the world's shortest. Attempting to reclaim the title, the people of Lincoln City submitted a new measurement to Guinness of about 120 feet (37 m) marked at "extreme high tide".  At that time, Lincoln City's Chamber of Commerce described the Roe as a "drainage ditch surveyed for a school project." Montana supporters shot back that the D was merely an "ocean water backup," pointed out that there was an alternative fork to the Roe which was only 30 feet (9.1 m) long, and suggested that a new survey be conducted. Guinness apparently never ruled on the dispute, leaving the claim by the Roe stand, but instead chose to no longer list a shortest river, possibly as a result of this ongoing dispute. Starting in 2006, the Guinness Book of World Records did not list a category for shortest river"

Ha.  Well if that's the case, I won't bother bringing up the Link River (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_River) in Klamath Falls, Oregon.  I had heard somewhere that it was the shortest river but after some research it looks to be the seventh smallest in North America.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortest_river

North America
Roe River, Great Falls, Montana, United States, 61 meters (201 feet)
Rio Los Patos, Barahona, Dominican Republic, 61 meters
D River, Oregon, United States, 130 meters
Chute River, Maine, United States, 320 meters
Nautley River, British Columbia, Canada, 800 meters
Powell River, British Columbia, Canada, 1005 meters or 3297 feet, around 5/8 of a mile. It is a natural river.
Link River, Oregon, United States, 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers)
Comal River, Texas, United States, 2.5 miles (4 kilometers)
Dunn's River, Jamaica, 180+ meters.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
Here is an advertising postcard for the Oceans West Gallery and Gift Shop in Lincoln City, Oregon.  The town sits next to the Pacific Ocean...

Growing up, our family would stay overnight in Lincoln City at least once a year on the way to visiting our grandparents.  As a kid, the sign 'D River, the world's shortest river' intrigued me to no end.

Beachcombing was amazing, as a person could pick up handfuls of agates - red, blue, green, yellow, white, opaque...  and the roadside tourist shops selling driftwood art and all that shizzle were full of them too

I don't remember that building or business, but we always ate at least one meal here.  I'm almost certain I bought at least one postcard featuring this place and still have them somewhere.  That's Highway 101 in the foreground

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2018, 08:16:20 AM »
Growing up, our family would stay overnight in Lincoln City at least once a year on the way to visiting our grandparents.  As a kid, the sign 'D River, the world's shortest river' intrigued me to no end.

Beachcombing was amazing, as a person could pick up handfuls of agates - red, blue, green, yellow, white, opaque...  and the roadside tourist shops selling driftwood art and all that shizzle were full of them too

I don't remember that building or business, but we always ate at least one meal here.  I'm almost certain I bought at least one postcard featuring this place and still have them somewhere.  That's Highway 101 in the foreground

:)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
Great stuff, PB.  I wish Pixieland was still there but it looks as though the area is being restored to wetlands.
http://offbeatoregon.com/H0912c_Pixieland.htm

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
Here are some more pics and a postcard from the U.S.S. Huron's tour of the Philippines back in 1925 or 1926.