Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503506 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2018, 07:19:00 PM »
  I wonder what she drank; champagne cocktails most likely.

My gut tells me 'high balls.'  Gin or Vodka with either Orange or Grapefruit juice. 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Perry used a Hayden Mill-A-Gram to wish his friend Marilyn a happy birthday.

... Perry mailed his card on August 28, 1942 while World War Two was going on...

In addition to using the free card Hayden Flour gave out for advertising, it's also interesting that Perry added a non-postage stamp sticker to the front of his postcard to Marilyn.  Perhaps he worked there

''Read the Bible.  The Sword of the Spirit.''

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
... In later years, Lotta used some of her money to build a fountain  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta%27s_Fountain

A large number of people met at the fountain shortly after the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906...

Survivors of the earthquake met at Lotta's Fountain every year on April 18 at 5:12 am, until around 10 years ago, when the last survivors (babies at the time) had either passed on or were too frail to attend.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
If I were a millionaire, I would happily invite and transport Bart and all other EllGabbers to the world famous Palace Hotel in San Francisco.  (I could really do it too because the Palace Hotel is still there.)  First we could have some drinks in the Pied Piper bar, followed by lunch in the stain glassed domed Garden Court.  Then we would make our way to the GC lounge for tea in the afternoon...

Ok, I've walked right by this building any number of times a barely noticed it.  I could say the same for dozens of other incredible buildings.

From now on when I'm in SF during the day, I'm going to at least check a few out.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
My gut tells me 'high balls.'  Gin or Vodka with either Orange or Grapefruit juice.

Highballs all around it is!

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2018, 02:55:14 AM »

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
Highballs all around it is!

Cheers!  :D

By the way K_Dubb, it seems we don't cross paths too much here.  That being said...it is good to see you!  :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »
Ok, I've walked right by this building any number of times a barely noticed it.  I could say the same for dozens of other incredible buildings.

From now on when I'm in SF during the day, I'm going to at least check a few out.

I envy you PB.  That would be so great to be able to check out some of those buildings and you are right, San Francisco has a lot of them.  I'd like to see this building on the corner of 202 Green Street.  I noticed a plaque there on the corner.  This is the site where Philo T. Farnsworth had his laboratory back in the 1920's when he was working on his invention, something that we would come to know as television.  I guess that might be a modern building, though it looks old to me.  (It would still be an interesting area to visit.)  There is a hill at the back and I think it comes right down to the building because Philo said that rocks and boulders would occasionally roll down the slope and crash against his lab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo_Farnsworth
On September 7, 1927, Farnsworth's image dissector camera tube transmitted its first image, a simple straight line, to a receiver in another room of his laboratory at 202 Green Street in San Francisco.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
Cheers!  :D

By the way K_Dubb, it seems we don't cross paths too much here.  That being said...it is good to see you!  :)

Cheers to you, too, Shay.  I'm so glad we ran into each other in a respectable place like Rix's rather than the bathroom thread.

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

I wonder if the name has changed? The only reference to "colonarum" is some paper on parasites of "agama" lizards and the postcard seems like "Agama agama" looks like the lizard. Cool and weird card.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3224042?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

From a google search that refused to open a page:
"Agama colonarum is the name of a species, part of the genus Agama. This species has been described by null in null under the rules of the International Code of ....."

Excellant  post card  Tootsie. , thanks for posting it.

A few pages behind.  Looks like political satire.

Wild speculation:

Royalty's children riding a lizard with parasites.  LOL

Royality are parasites too?

is that a British Crown on the Lizard?

Could a Lizard be used in place of a Lion to mock Rolyality?

Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »

Wild speculation:

could be.. reptilian overlords   ;)

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »

If I were a millionaire, I would happily invite and transport Bart and all other EllGabbers to the world famous Palace Hotel in San Francisco.  (I could really do it too because the Palace Hotel is still there.)  First we could have some drinks in the Pied Piper bar, followed by lunch in the stain glassed domed Garden Court.  Then we would make our way to the GC lounge for tea in the afternoon and http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/dining/index.html?propertyID=373

There is so much history in this postcard that I hardly know where to start.  First, Lotta Crabtree.  That must be her wearing the big dress in the painting to the right.  Despite the comical name, Lotta was a real woman who arrived with her family, in San Francisco during the gold rush days.  She made a big fortune by singing and dancing andit probably didn't hurt that she was, in my opinion, a very beautiful woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta_Crabtree

In later years, Lotta used some of her money to build a fountain  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta%27s_Fountain

A large number of people met at the fountain shortly after the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906.  The Palace Hotel itself burned up after the quake but thankfully it was rebuilt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_Francisco_earthquake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_Hotel,_San_Francisco

So there you have it.  I would like to propose a toast to the memory of Lotta Crabtree.

Here you go Mr Rixs.. 120 Lotto Crabtree  imagines   :-*

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/hebert2793/lotta-crabtree/

Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
...  I'd like to see this building on the corner of 202 Green Street.  I noticed a plaque there on the corner.  This is the site where Philo T. Farnsworth had his laboratory back in the 1920's when he was working on his invention, something that we would come to know as television.  I guess that might be a modern building, though it looks old to me.  (It would still be an interesting area to visit.)  There is a hill at the back and I think it comes right down to the building because Philo said that rocks and boulders would occasionally roll down the slope and crash against his lab...

Yes, the hill behind it Telegraph Hill.  At the top is Coit Tower, donated by Lillie Hitchcock Coit in honor of firemen.  The art deco tower looks like the end of a fire hose.

I've walked around the area, and up and down the hill during lunchtime - there are pathways that lead past homes with no road access.  The famous parrots of Telegraph Hill can often be seen.  Levi's HQ is nearby

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »

Wild speculation:

Good questions there WC.  I certainly don't have any answers because my searches didn't bring the postcard up.  Perhaps Tootsie knows something about it?  I did come across this one, though:

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
Here you go Mr Rixs.. 120 Lotto Crabtree  imagines   :-*

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/hebert2793/lotta-crabtree/

Thank you so much, WC.  It would be fun to smoke a cigar with Lotta.