Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503493 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Interested in Capital Airlines?  Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Airlines

Apparently Vickers did a fine job with that aircraft.  The last one went of service in 2009!
It is believed that the last airworthy Viscount, 9Q-COD, last flew in January 2009 for Global Airways in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Viscount

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »

I almost posted this card yesterday until I noticed the postal cancellation date.  So I held back on it and now we can say that we know what somebody (a male or female postal clerk) was doing at 7:00 PM, exactly 113 years ago.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

I almost posted this card yesterday until I noticed the postal cancellation date.  So I held back on it and now we can say that we know what somebody (a male or female postal clerk) was doing at 7:00 PM, exactly 113 years ago.

Everyone probably already knows this, but an upside down stamp to one's bf, gf, h, w, etc was code for ''I love you''

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2018, 06:14:39 PM »
The Viscount was the first aircraft hijacked with resulting death of passengers.
A Cubana Airlines Viscount scheduled to fly from Miami to northern Cuba was hijacked in flight by pro-castro rebels on November 1, 1958. They tried to force the plane to land at night on an unlighted field near where castro had his base, but the plane ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea. Fourteen passengers and crew died.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Everyone probably already knows this, but an upside down stamp to one's bf, gf, h, w, etc was code for ''I love you''

Well, I've never heard of that, so thanks PB.  And come to think of it, I have seen a couple of these postcard stamps placed upside down.
Coincidentally, the address on the postcard seems to be no more.  It is an open, park like space now, surrounded by tall buildings on both sides.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
Well, I've never heard of that, so thanks PB.  And come to think of it, I have seen a couple of these postcard stamps placed upside down..

Here's one website's interpretation.  Now you're going to have to go back through you collection...

http://www.coxes.com/stamping/fun/position.html

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
Well, I've never heard of that, so thanks PB.  And come to think of it, I have seen a couple of these postcard stamps placed upside down.
Coincidentally, the address on the postcard seems to be no more.  It is an open, park like space now, surrounded by tall buildings on both sides.

I hadn't heard about the upside down stamp thing either. 

FYI - I've started digging around on that last Viscount Vickers that went out of service in 2009.   I'll post if I learn anything worthwhile

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
Here's one website's interpretation.  Now you're going to have to go back through you collection...

http://www.coxes.com/stamping/fun/position.html

Oh, that is so cool.  Not too sure if I've ever seen any diagonally placed stamps, but you're right, I'd have to go through the collection again to make sure, haha.  I'm taking part in next week's postcard auction on eBay that starts tomorrow.  Perhaps I'll see some of those stamp positions. 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
Oh, that is so cool.  Not too sure if I've ever seen any diagonally placed stamps, but you're right, I'd have to go through the collection again to make sure, haha.  I'm taking part in next week's postcard auction on eBay that starts tomorrow.  Perhaps I'll see some of those stamp positions.

I've never seen those either, and only knew of the upside down stamp.  Of course ''will you marry me'' is going to be rarer.

Now we use emoticons..

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Well, I've never heard of that, so thanks PB.  And come to think of it, I have seen a couple of these postcard stamps placed upside down...

When you saw the upside down stamps, did you just think the sender was being careless?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »
When you saw the upside down stamps, did you just think the sender was being careless?

Yes, and/or that they were in a hurry.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2018, 09:16:20 PM »
Yes, and/or that they were in a hurry.
Or just messing with people. Sometimes I write below the line, in the different space where address should be, put return address on back (Euro style), and also put novelty stamps (send without my consent to me from charities begging for money) in addition to real US post stamps not on area, etc. Unless it is an important letter, bill, RSVP, etc where getting delivered is totally desired- why not mess with them? And force person-handling versus machine handling? In a weird way I'm supporting the postmen and their jobs! I mail packages sometimes using MANY old stamps, technically legal.
ps: my personal protest against zip codes has been ended and things will be returned-to-sender or lost if one does not use. As all knows ZIP codes was a Soviet plot, hahaha... but the not using ZIP-Plus (which id's the individual address, basically,) still works. Also, technically and legally, you can still use "General Delivery" however the USPS has limited it and, if in a large town or city, usually only one place that can receive and will hold "at postmaster's discretion."

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »

Here is another motel in Virginia.  This one had a restaurant too.  According to the card it was a mere twenty miles north of Richmond, but ShayP couldn't have any remembrance of this place because I'm guessing that it went belly up back in the early 1960's.  Shortly after or before (I'm guessing again) the owner's death: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111812242/frank-elmer-bowie

PS, does anybody know what 'chicken in the rough' is?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

Here is another motel in Virginia.  This one had a restaurant too.  According to the card it was a mere twenty miles north of Richmond, but ShayP couldn't have any remembrance of this place because I'm guessing that it went belly up back in the early 1960's.  Shortly after or before (I'm guessing again) the owner's death: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111812242/frank-elmer-bowie

PS, does anybody know what 'chicken in the rough' is?

I think it means fried chicken you eat with your hands instead of using silverware. That’s common today but I guess today we would call it family style, or informal dining.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
Phone:  DAWN WYman     

Hehehe