Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503505 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »
Interesting that the out of level lines in the postcard are truly there in the real home!

Good observation Walks.  I don't know structures but it almost seems like the connected building to the right may have shifted in the past, causing Paul's roof to buckle a little bit.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Good observation Walks.  I don't know structures but it almost seems like the connected building to the right may have shifted in the past, causing Paul's roof to buckle a little bit.

View from around the back

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
Interesting that the out of level lines in the postcard are truly there in the real home!

The interior floors are tilted quite a bit if I remember correctly.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
The interior floors are tilted quite a bit if I remember correctly.

Well something went down with it - that's for sure.  It's on a hill and looks like it the foundation is stone.  Then there is this weirdness:

A picture supposedly of the home from 1880:

So now we gotta go find out what happened to Paul Revere's house!

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #364 on: September 26, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »
Well something went down with it - that's for sure.  It's on a hill and looks like it the foundation is stone.  Then there is this weirdness:

A picture supposedly of the home from 1880:

So now we gotta go find out what happened to Paul Revere's house!

I don’t remember if a subway runs under it or not.
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »
I toured the Old North Church as well.

@Walks_At_Night the person I am house sitting for (the one from Algonac) is related to a guy named Peter Fransisco that was stationed as a relay for the lanterns the night of Paul Revere’s ride.

He went on to be one hell of a hero during the Revolutionary War.

https://ijr.com/opinion/2015/07/245100-youve-probably-never-heard-peter-francisco-one-revolutionary-wars-biggest-heroes/
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
I toured the Old North Church as well.

@Walks_At_Night the person I am house sitting for (the one from Algonac) is related to a guy named Peter Fransisco that was stationed as a relay for the lanterns the night of Paul Revere’s ride.

He went on to be one hell of a hero during the Revolutionary War.

https://ijr.com/opinion/2015/07/245100-youve-probably-never-heard-peter-francisco-one-revolutionary-wars-biggest-heroes/

How cool would it be to have something  like that in the old family lineage?

Not me  though :(     At that time, my folks were digging potato's for some damn Junker.   

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
Ok - I learned some more about the Paul Revere house.  Basically it's been to Hell and Back.  The home was already 90 years old when Revere bought it in 1770.  Revere sold it
in 1800 and it became a Sailor's boarding house.   At different times it was an apartment building for immigrants, a cigar factory, a fruit stand and even a bank.   Here is another
view of how it looked before it was restored:

In 1902,  John P. Reynolds Jr a great grandson of Revere bought the home and it was restored during the 1907 and 1908 time frame.  The whole thing is way out of square

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Ok - I learned some more about the Paul Revere house.  Basically it's been to Hell and Back.  The home was already 90 years old when Revere bought it in 1770.  Revere sold it
in 1800 and it became a Sailor's boarding house.   At different times it was an apartment building for immigrants, a cigar factory, a fruit stand and even a bank.   Here is another
view of how it looked before it was restored:

In 1902,  John P. Reynolds Jr a great grandson of Revere bought the home and it was restored during the 1907 and 1908 time frame.  The whole thing is way out of square

Nice find! Yeah, a lot of use over the years. Years as a sailor's boarding house does not wear well on a place, I imagine! Interesting also nomenclature, "best chamber" misspelling or is that what they call it up there? We use Master Bedroom or something. Racist, no doubt.  ;)

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Nice find! Yeah, a lot of use over the years. Years as a sailor's boarding house does not wear well on a place, I imagine! Interesting also nomenclature, "best chamber" misspelling or is that what they call it up there? We use Master Bedroom or something. Racist, no doubt.  ;)

I think the closest equivalent in modern usage would simply be room, since the bedchamber is labelled as such.  Similar to chamber music, which was named in contrast to works requiring larger forces in a hall.  Interesting that we have discarded the French-influenced chamber/chambre (except in the sense of a judge's chamber) in favor of the Germanic-derived room, in a rare case of backwards evolution.

Also interesting that, in Norwegian at least, rom (room) denotes space, hence the old word for an astronaut is a romfartsmann, while a room in a house is a stue, which survives in English as an old word for brothels, i. e. the stews.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
Well whatever you call it, it would seem it saw alot of action.  Revere had 8 children by his first wife Sarah.   She would die giving birth to the eighth child in April of 1773.
By October of that year Revere would marry Rachel and would go on to father another 8 children with her.   Seems like he didn't care too much for his grandson  Frank.
His Will contained:

“It is my will that my Grandson Frank who now writes his name Francis Lincoln, eldest son of my late daughter Deborah, shall have no part of my estate except one dollar which is here bequeathed to him.”

https://www.biography.com/news/paul-revere-biography-ancestry

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #371 on: September 28, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »

Another car postcard.  I think this is the last one I've got.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #372 on: September 28, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
I got nothing on a '79 Buick Regal.   Now if you fast forward a few years and jump up to a Buick Grand National, well then let's talk   :D

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #373 on: September 28, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »
I think the closest equivalent in modern usage would simply be room, since the bedchamber is labelled as such.  Similar to chamber music, which was named in contrast to works requiring larger forces in a hall.  Interesting that we have discarded the French-influenced chamber/chambre (except in the sense of a judge's chamber) in favor of the Germanic-derived room, in a rare case of backwards evolution.

Also interesting that, in Norwegian at least, rom (room) denotes space, hence the old word for an astronaut is a romfartsmann, while a room in a house is a stue, which survives in English as an old word for brothels, i. e. the stews.
your "rom" reminds me but I can't place it easily of some event, like we have Beach Week or Springbreak antics, but Beach Week is more the senior drunk highjinx,  the Amish have this romspringa (sp?)deal, where they can go and experience the 'English' life for a bit, and the Norskies have this deal, name escapes me now, in some places, where the kids 'go wild.' Getting "out of hand" according to some, I think also had some root in word that was 'room' or 'rum' etc?
ps: I wonder why "hall" for us is now, except in concert venues, now means, usually, a narrow lane leading to rooms and not the biggest "room" in our house?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #374 on: September 28, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »

Another car postcard.  I think this is the last one I've got.

Speculation on the conversation in the background?? You post some interesting car postcards and I'm intrigue what the photographer and marketing folks were trying to convey in some? The Halloween one, this?