Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 588693 times)

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
Hey @21st Century Man , how are you doing? I saw your post in the political thread. I don't post in that thread but wanted to say hi.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2019, 06:58:44 PM »
Actually, he is not trying to ban all guns, he is advocating stronger, better background checks. I do think he is anti-assault weapons, but not properly licensed handguns and regular rifles, like for hunting.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get into a political discussion, I was just saying I wish someone who was not so far-right or far-left who has common sense and integrity would run is all. No worries!

Background checks for assault weapons? Odd.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Tom Green interviewed Weird Al.

Have you all seen Fawlty Towers?

It feels like Thursday night to me.   :o

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »
Background checks for assault weapons? Odd.

No, perhaps I wasn't clear. He does want to ban assault weapons (automatic machine guns, AK-47's that type of thing), but supports hand guns with background checks.

Oh, whatever, doesn't matter, he's not running anyway.  ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Tom Green interviewed Weird Al.

Have you all seen Fawlty Towers?

It feels like Thursday night to me.   :o

I feel so comforted, this is indeed the "whatever" thread. I think I may start posting some other stuff here, just stuff I'm thinking about (always a potential sign of trouble, btw).  8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #905 on: October 23, 2019, 08:58:26 PM »
No, perhaps I wasn't clear. He does want to ban assault weapons (automatic machine guns, AK-47's that type of thing), but supports hand guns with background checks.

Oh, whatever, doesn't matter, he's not running anyway.  ;D

You were clear, it was goofy time
 ;D

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #906 on: October 23, 2019, 08:59:40 PM »
I feel so comforted, this is indeed the "whatever" thread. I think I may start posting some other stuff here, just stuff I'm thinking about (always a potential sign of trouble, btw).  8)

Right!
Perfect for me

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #907 on: October 23, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Actually, he is not trying to ban all guns, he is advocating stronger, better background checks. I do think he is anti-assault weapons, but not properly licensed handguns and regular rifles, like for hunting.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get into a political discussion, I was just saying I wish someone who was not so far-right or far-left who has common sense and integrity would run is all. No worries!

I've been saying Buttigieg and Klobuchar are two great middle lane candidates.
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »

Please do @Aquarius ! And I promise I will bail you out of the zoo if necessary
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #909 on: October 23, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
Of course it’s Bloomberg who is running around the country trying to ban guns. Everywhere is not NYC.

That's not true. I mean true about NYC but not about the gun ban

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #910 on: October 23, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »

Right!
Perfect for me

Well alright then!

I've been on what for me is a film binge lately, but all music related. A couple of weeks ago I saw Linda Ronstadt, The Sound of My Voice, a documentary on her life and extraordinary career. The film made the point, rather well I think, that she is often under-rated and overlooked as the first major female rock and roll star, and with an extraordinary voice.

The film touched me deeply for several reasons, mostly in admiration of her career and courage and independent, pioneering personality over the years. She has Parkinson's now, can't sing, hasn't for a number of years now, heartbreaking. There is a clip of her trying to sing with her family, many of whom are musical, and it is deeply moving. Again, she has so much courage!

But what really got me was that as I watched, I realized I have seen her live in every stage of her long career and live singing every form of music she explored. I saw her with the Stone Poneys at the Bitter End in NYC maybe 1969 or 70?, at the Lenox Music Festival in Massachusetts a year or so later... doing her country rock and rock stuff, introducing Karla Bonoff, the McGarrigle Sisters, promoting Emmy Lou Harris and others... singing  live on Broadway doing Pirates of Penzance (first at Joseph Papp's NY Shakespeare Theater), singing with an orchestra doing her Nelson Riddle songs, doing her Mexican stuff, you name it I saw it. I hadn't realized this so clearly, and I was flooded with wonderful memories of all those really great concerts all over the place! What an important and loved part of my musical experiences she has been!

I went into my storage locker and went digging, and found some prints of photos I took of her way way back when, from August of 1972 in Lenox, MA (I was so young then, but already shooting 35mm film at concerts and developing and printing my own shots in my little darkroom). Geez!

Here are some of them, just for fun. Sorry about the quality, these are scans of some very old prints, I took them on August 12, 1972.

Anyway, enjoy.

Reports on the other two films to come.  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #911 on: October 23, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
He is??
That is NOT ok.

It's not true

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #912 on: October 23, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
Well alright then!

I've been on what for me is a film binge lately, but all music related. A couple of weeks ago I saw Linda Ronstadt, The Sound of My Voice, a documentary on her life and extraordinary career. The film made the point, rather well I think, that she is often under-rated and overlooked as the first major female rock and roll star, and with an extraordinary voice.

The film touched me deeply for several reasons, mostly in admiration of her career and courage and independent, pioneering personality over the years. She has Parkinson's now, can't sing, hasn't for a number of years now, heartbreaking. There is a clip of her trying to sing with her family, many of whom are musical, and it is deeply moving. Again, she has so much courage!

But what really got me was that as I watched, I realized I have seen her live in every stage of her long career and live singing every form of music she explored. I saw her with the Stone Poneys at the Bitter End in NYC maybe 1969 or 70?, at the Lenox Music Festival in Massachusetts a year or so later... doing her country rock and rock stuff, introducing Karla Bonoff, the McGarrigle Sisters, promoting Emmy Lou Harris and others... singing  live on Broadway doing Pirates of Penzance (first at Joseph Papp's NY Shakespeare Theater), singing with an orchestra doing her Nelson Riddle songs, doing her Mexican stuff, you name it I saw it. I hadn't realized this so clearly, and I was flooded with wonderful memories of all those really great concerts all over the place!

I went into my storage locker and went digging, and found some prints of photos I took of her way way back when, from August of 1972 in Lenox, MA (I was so young then, but already shooting and developing 35mm film at concerts). Geez!

Here are some of them, just for fun. Sorry about the quality, these are scans of some very old prints. Anyway, enjoy.

Reports on the other two films to come.  :D

Those are wonderful pics @Aquarius . Look like professional candid shots to me. What an extraordinary life she has led. And still setting an example

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #913 on: October 23, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »
Please do @Aquarius ! And I promise I will bail you out of the zoo if necessary

Thank you so much, @VampireLily! I will do my best to stay out of the zoo if at all possible. I am more likely to get a bit rambunctious from time to time rather than actually get in serious trouble, at least I think so! Heh heh...  8) 

P.S. You gonna listen to the LPTD this Saturday, 7 pm EDT? It's gonna be a fun one! Check out the LPTD thread for details.  ;)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #914 on: October 23, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
Those are wonderful pics @Aquarius . Look like professional candid shots to me. What an extraordinary life she has led. And still setting an example

Thanks! +1 to you!

Back in the day, as long as you weren't obnoxious about it, you could often go right up to the front of the audience at the edge of the stage, or nearly that close, and photograph away. NO flash was the key, not blocking any audience members, and being very low-key and quiet about it. I took photos like this at so many concerts I hardly remember them all. Somewhere I've got shots of a lot of performers, all from a long time ago, nearly all in black and white, which I preferred. I got good at developing and printing from color slides (I preferred slide quality over print film back then), but it was more laborious and I liked trying to capture the energy in black and white photos more.

Whew! Such memories... I seem to be in a very reflective place these days, lots of memories and emotions. None bad, but lots of feeling wistful for what felt like sweeter times in the world, whether it was true in reality or not. At least it felt that way at the time.