Author Topic: Storytime!  (Read 5621 times)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
Storytime!
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
Why is this in the collectibles? Because we're collecting stories and memories!

🐱
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
Re: Storytime!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »
 Years ago, I started leaving little memo cards with doodles saying "thank you! Have a good day" in cafes and restaurants I'd frequent as a way to practice the language. It was also a way to show my kindness as some are very nervous around foreigners. (Americans have the reputation of being rude and angry.) It's since become a bit of habit as a few people enjoyed them greatly, and I occasionally received notes back.

Yesterday, I left one with a bunny doodle where I ate lunch. (Well, late lunch as it was around 5pm...) A waitress I hadn't met before was clearing the table as I paid. She read it, turned to look at me and had the biggest smile. It was like a kid on Christmas. It made me happy to see someone else happy over a small thing. 😊

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
Random acts of kindness are very cool. :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
Nice thread!

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »
It made me happy to see someone else happy over a small thing. 😊

THAT'S WHAT HE SAID

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:52:39 PM »
An obituary from Iowa is making the rounds this week. @Rikki Gins might enjoy.

I've omitted the family names and cities just because.

"Tim [] made his last inappropriate comment on March 29, 2019. If you are wondering if you may have ever met him, you didn't -because you WOULD remember. For those of you that did meet him, we apologize, as we're sure he probably offended you. He was world renowned for not holding back and telling it like it is.

Tim was born to [] on June 11,1955 - 100 years too late. Given Tim's demeanor he would have been the perfect weathered cowboy in the old west or rough and tough pioneer, or maybe he just should have been Amish.

Tim was the 4th of 8 kids, the bottom rung of the top tier (the big kids). Instead of taking his place on that rung, listening to the older kids and doing as he was told by his older siblings, he decided to anoint himself "king" of the 4 little kids. Tim spent his childhood and early adulthood ordering them around and in general, tormenting them. He was a great orator, (not like Shakespear, but more like Yogi Berra), as he always had something to say,
and always had to get in the last word.

His position as "king" and orator was challenged by the nuns at St. Wenceslaus school in []. He may have met his match. We’re not saying the nuns won, but they put up a good fight, we mean literally - he got into a fist-a-cuff with a nun. In fairness, she probably started it. You didn't take a swing at Tim and not expect one back. Tim's fondness for authority (his own - not others) followed him to [] High School in [] and later into the Army. This provided for many interesting episodes and stories, detentions and demotions, and a few "run ins" with the law, not just locally, but globally.

Tim worked at [] and [] in [] as a tool and die maker for 30 plus years. Tim worked with many friends and “a bunch of morons”. His words, not ours. Well not exactly his, words because that would have included a bunch of swear words.

Tim leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff that his family doesn't know what to do with. So, if you are looking for a Virgin Mary in a bathtub shrine (you Catholics know what we’re talking about) you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with them.

Tomorrow would be fine.

In addition to his stuff he leaves behind two great boys who he was extremely proud of, [] and [] were the product of his marriage to []. He will be missed by his two granddaughters that he adored and taught to cuss, [] and []. Also left to keep the stories alive (but damn, there won"t be any new material) are his mother [] and siblings [][][][][]and many nieces, nephews and cousins that wanted to hang out near him, because you just knew he was going to say or do something good. It’s not that he was such a great storyteller, it’s that he WAS the story!

To his siblings amazement he was actually able to snag a good woman, [], and hold on to her for the past 13 years, and as far as we know restraints were not used. Tim also created great memories and stories for []’s kids [] and [] and grandkids [] and [].

He will be having a reunion with his infant daughter [], his brother [], his dad [], many aunts and uncles and a handful of cousins that passed before him. Tim was in charge of getting the beer and ice for our family reunions, so they will be happy to see him.

A common line in obituaries is “He never met a stranger”, in Tim’s case he never met a rule he couldn’t break, a boundary he couldn’t push, a line he couldn’t cross and a story he couldn’t stretch. Another common obituary phrase is “He’d give the shirt off his back”, well Tim was prepared to do that, and he could do it quickly, because he always wore his shirts
unbuttoned ¾ the way down. Tim was anything but common!

Despite his crusty exterior, cutting remarks and stubbornness, there is actual evidence that he was a loving, giving and caring person. That evidence is the deep sorrow and pain in our hearts that his family feels from his passing.

Tim led a good life and had a peaceful death - but the transition was a bitch. And for the record, he did not lose his battle with cancer. When he died, the cancer died, so technically it was a tie! He was ready to meet his Maker, we're just not sure "The Maker" is ready to meet Tim.

Good luck God!

We are considering establishing a Go-Fund-Me account for G. Heileman Brewing Co., the brewers of Old Style beer, as we anticipate they are about to experience significant hardship as a result of the loss of Tim"s business. Keep them in your thoughts. "

Source:
https://www.schluterbalikfuneralhome.com/obituary/tim-schrandt

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
An obituary from Iowa is making the rounds this week. @Rikki Gins might enjoy.

I've omitted the family names and cities just because.

"Tim [] made his last inappropriate comment on March 29, 2019. If you are wondering if you may have ever met him, you didn't -because you WOULD remember. For those of you that did meet him, we apologize, as we're sure he probably offended you. He was world renowned for not holding back and telling it like it is.

Tim was born to [] on June 11,1955 - 100 years too late. Given Tim's demeanor he would have been the perfect weathered cowboy in the old west or rough and tough pioneer, or maybe he just should have been Amish.

Tim was the 4th of 8 kids, the bottom rung of the top tier (the big kids). Instead of taking his place on that rung, listening to the older kids and doing as he was told by his older siblings, he decided to anoint himself "king" of the 4 little kids. Tim spent his childhood and early adulthood ordering them around and in general, tormenting them. He was a great orator, (not like Shakespear, but more like Yogi Berra), as he always had something to say,
and always had to get in the last word.

His position as "king" and orator was challenged by the nuns at St. Wenceslaus school in []. He may have met his match. We’re not saying the nuns won, but they put up a good fight, we mean literally - he got into a fist-a-cuff with a nun. In fairness, she probably started it. You didn't take a swing at Tim and not expect one back. Tim's fondness for authority (his own - not others) followed him to [] High School in [] and later into the Army. This provided for many interesting episodes and stories, detentions and demotions, and a few "run ins" with the law, not just locally, but globally.

Tim worked at [] and [] in [] as a tool and die maker for 30 plus years. Tim worked with many friends and “a bunch of morons”. His words, not ours. Well not exactly his, words because that would have included a bunch of swear words.

Tim leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff that his family doesn't know what to do with. So, if you are looking for a Virgin Mary in a bathtub shrine (you Catholics know what we’re talking about) you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with them.

Tomorrow would be fine.

In addition to his stuff he leaves behind two great boys who he was extremely proud of, [] and [] were the product of his marriage to []. He will be missed by his two granddaughters that he adored and taught to cuss, [] and []. Also left to keep the stories alive (but damn, there won"t be any new material) are his mother [] and siblings [][][][][]and many nieces, nephews and cousins that wanted to hang out near him, because you just knew he was going to say or do something good. It’s not that he was such a great storyteller, it’s that he WAS the story!

To his siblings amazement he was actually able to snag a good woman, [], and hold on to her for the past 13 years, and as far as we know restraints were not used. Tim also created great memories and stories for []’s kids [] and [] and grandkids [] and [].

He will be having a reunion with his infant daughter [], his brother [], his dad [], many aunts and uncles and a handful of cousins that passed before him. Tim was in charge of getting the beer and ice for our family reunions, so they will be happy to see him.

A common line in obituaries is “He never met a stranger”, in Tim’s case he never met a rule he couldn’t break, a boundary he couldn’t push, a line he couldn’t cross and a story he couldn’t stretch. Another common obituary phrase is “He’d give the shirt off his back”, well Tim was prepared to do that, and he could do it quickly, because he always wore his shirts
unbuttoned ¾ the way down. Tim was anything but common!

Despite his crusty exterior, cutting remarks and stubbornness, there is actual evidence that he was a loving, giving and caring person. That evidence is the deep sorrow and pain in our hearts that his family feels from his passing.

Tim led a good life and had a peaceful death - but the transition was a bitch. And for the record, he did not lose his battle with cancer. When he died, the cancer died, so technically it was a tie! He was ready to meet his Maker, we're just not sure "The Maker" is ready to meet Tim.

Good luck God!

We are considering establishing a Go-Fund-Me account for G. Heileman Brewing Co., the brewers of Old Style beer, as we anticipate they are about to experience significant hardship as a result of the loss of Tim"s business. Keep them in your thoughts. "

Source:
https://www.schluterbalikfuneralhome.com/obituary/tim-schrandt
+1. Thanks for sharing this obituary.
I am going to borrow a few of the lines for different people in my family tree. I really loved--And for the record, he did not lose his battle with cancer. When he died, the cancer died, so technically it was a tie! :'(
See @Bart Ell , I am taking my stroll around EllGab.
I started reading @Rikki Gins 's comment. WOW WOW WOW. He never mentions his bathroom habits.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
My IRISH DNA loves a good story. I have a few stories of my own.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
+1. Thanks for sharing this obituary.
I am going to borrow a few of the lines for different people in my family tree. I really loved--And for the record, he did not lose his battle with cancer. When he died, the cancer died, so technically it was a tie! :'(
See @Bart Ell , I am taking my stroll around EllGab.
I started reading @Rikki Gins 's comment. WOW WOW WOW. He never mentions his bathroom habits.

It is a great obituary. I'm having a stroll too.  :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »
My IRISH DNA loves a good story. I have a few stories of my own.

Tell! Are you telling?  Are you typing now? Right now?  I'll wait. You should tell. I can almost hear the keys clicking. Type type type. I'll just stand by here.  No pressure.   ;)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 02:17:33 AM »
An obituary from Iowa is making the rounds this week.  Rikki Gins might enjoy.

I did enjoy it, Spookcat, very much.  Thank you.   

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
Random acts of kindness are very cool. :)

YES.  :D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 06:43:30 PM »
@Spookcat To be clear...this is a place to share fond or uplifting memories, or little snippets of such.  Just trying to be clear on the expectation.  I am a stickler for details.

Cheers!  8)   :)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
@Spookcat To be clear...this is a place to share fond or uplifting memories, or little snippets of such.  Just trying to be clear on the expectation.  I am a stickler for details.

Cheers!  8)   :)

Share any memories! The length is up to the sharer. 😊

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Share any memories! The length is up to the sharer. 😊

Thanks!  Will do.