Author Topic: WiFi Spying  (Read 1615 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
WiFi Spying
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.10109

"Wireless devices are everywhere, at home, at the office, and on the street. Devices are bombarding us with transmissions across a wide range of RF frequencies from a few kilohertz to terahertz. Many of these invisible transmissions pass through our bodies, while others reflect off, carrying information about our location, movement, and other physiological properties. While they are a boon to medical professionals with carefully calibrated instruments, they may also be revealing private data about us to potential attackers nearby. In this paper, we examine the problem of adversarial WiFi sensing, and consider whether our wireless reflections pose a real risk to our personal privacy. We identify an adversarial localization attack, where bad actors using smartphones can localize and track individuals in their home or office from outside walls, by leveraging reflections of ambient WiFi transmissions. We experimentally validate this attack in 11 real-world locations, and show user tracking with high accuracy. Finally, we propose and evaluate defenses ranging from geofencing to rate limiting and signal obfuscation. "

For some reason I don't think this is "new." Just wait for the 5G rollout?  ;)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: WiFi Spying
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.10109

"Wireless devices are everywhere, at home, at the office, and on the street. Devices are bombarding us with transmissions across a wide range of RF frequencies from a few kilohertz to terahertz. Many of these invisible transmissions pass through our bodies, while others reflect off, carrying information about our location, movement, and other physiological properties. While they are a boon to medical professionals with carefully calibrated instruments, they may also be revealing private data about us to potential attackers nearby. In this paper, we examine the problem of adversarial WiFi sensing, and consider whether our wireless reflections pose a real risk to our personal privacy. We identify an adversarial localization attack, where bad actors using smartphones can localize and track individuals in their home or office from outside walls, by leveraging reflections of ambient WiFi transmissions. We experimentally validate this attack in 11 real-world locations, and show user tracking with high accuracy. Finally, we propose and evaluate defenses ranging from geofencing to rate limiting and signal obfuscation. "

For some reason I don't think this is "new." Just wait for the 5G rollout?  ;)

its not new, been around for at least 10 years. you can track a persons (and peoples)  movements within a wifi routers range fairly easily. just like tracking via infrared
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »
its not new, been around for at least 10 years. you can track a persons (and peoples)  movements within a wifi routers range fairly easily. just like tracking via infrared
Yeah, I figured. Though I find it interesting when "news" is posted about new security threats or tech when one would hear about such years ago, sometimes on the conspiracy type sites or in "nerdy" forums or industry "rumors." And then, later, it is released as new "news" and as a surprise (like all the chip stuff, software, back-doors, Chinese, NSA, connections between Silicon Valley and Gov't Agencies and funding, social media manipulation, front-running and other stock market manipulation, etc etc.) And no "news" source ever goes back and says "well, I guess the rumors or conspiracy theories were true" and, almost, just shrug and assume "all is well" despite this....

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
This is why the bees are leaving. Not dying, just hangin out somewhere till we're gone.