Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34822 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
I've read more books over the past year and a half during the Wuhan flu era than probably any other 18 month period in my life.

I'm currently 200 pages in on Graham Hancock's 'Before America: The Key to Earth’s Lost Civilization'.  This is probably the best thing I've read in a long time.  I've always liked his interviews on Coast, and one of my top interests is how the America's came to be populated.  Another interest is alternative history, even if some of it it is purely for entertainment - there is much that has been lost, much of what we've been told is wrong, and someone needs to at least ask questions and speculate sometimes based on the little evidence we do have in certain areas.

I've never read any of his books before, he's a good writer, and takes care to state what is fact (with plenty of support), vs speculation.

So far he's tying plenty of fairly new information together in one place.  The chapters I've read so far include alignment information on the Serpant Mound in Ohio, some really ancient sites found in the Americas, updated DNA information on Native Americans, and newly found ancient culture in the Amazon - including cities, moundworks, the manufactured Amazon Dark Earth (look it up, absolutely fascinating), and the fact that most of the plants and trees there appear to have originally been planned ''gardens'' and tended.

300 pages to go, yay!  Hopefully most of it is more of the same, and not drifting off to raw speculation and pet theories.

I though there would be a higher kook factor, I'm definitely going to consider more of his books.

I'm glad I read this post.  I like Hancock as well, however I've never read his books.  I too find the topic you've addressed in your text to be fascinating.  I will order the book you referenced very soon.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
Toying with diving into the Dunes of Frank Herbert.  Alot o' fuckin' readin' there. Not sure I'm up for it.

Go for it. @KSM At least read Dune.  I really liked it.  You may get a taste for it, but for me it became taxing.  After the first 3 books I had to submit.  Nonetheless, as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed, it'll be a god damn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal.  Shit!  That's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I meant to say, as your attorney I advise you to read Dune then choose your path.   :D

*Disclaimer ~ I'm not an attorney.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
I've read more books over the past year and a half during the Wuhan flu era than probably any other 18 month period in my life.

I'm currently 200 pages in on Graham Hancock's 'Before America: The Key to Earth’s Lost Civilization'.  This is probably the best thing I've read in a long time.  I've always liked his interviews on Coast, and one of my top interests is how the America's came to be populated.  Another interest is alternative history, even if some of it it is purely for entertainment - there is much that has been lost, much of what we've been told is wrong, and someone needs to at least ask questions and speculate sometimes based on the little evidence we do have in certain areas.

I've never read any of his books before, he's a good writer, and takes care to state what is fact (with plenty of support), vs speculation.

So far he's tying plenty of fairly new information together in one place.  The chapters I've read so far include alignment information on the Serpant Mound in Ohio, some really ancient sites found in the Americas, updated DNA information on Native Americans, and newly found ancient culture in the Amazon - including cities, moundworks, the manufactured Amazon Dark Earth (look it up, absolutely fascinating), and the fact that most of the plants and trees there appear to have originally been planned ''gardens'' and tended.

300 pages to go, yay!  Hopefully most of it is more of the same, and not drifting off to raw speculation and pet theories.

I though there would be a higher kook factor, I'm definitely going to consider more of his books.

Graham Hancock was on with Joe Rohan at least 3 times. Lots better than on coast. There are YouTube videos out there of the complete interviews.
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »
Graham Hancock was on with Joe Rohan at least 3 times. Lots better than on coast. There are YouTube videos out there of the complete interviews.

Shame on me, those completely slipped my mind.  I did watch at least a couple awhile back, one was on Gobekli Tepe, and another also had geologist Randall Carlson on and they were talking about a massive water deluge event around the end of the last ice age that flowed down from Canada into Washington State and reshaped quite a bit of it - with the desert landscape in the eastern past of the state clearly showing the result to this day once one understands what they're looking at. 

It probably didn't come to mind since it wasn't the same topic as this book.  I'll have to look for other interviews he must of done when the book came out, including with Joe Rogan - thanks!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2021, 09:29:54 AM »
Go for it. @KSM At least read Dune.  I really liked it.  You may get a taste for it, but for me it became taxing.  After the first 3 books I had to submit.  Nonetheless, as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed, it'll be a god damn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal.  Shit!  That's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I meant to say, as your attorney I advise you to read Dune then choose your path.   :D

*Disclaimer ~ I'm not an attorney.
Noted. I think ???

I remember my dad reading them all one after the other. I think he went through the series a few times. Always had that stack of books on the arm of the couch back then.  I sure hope Sting isn't in the book.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »

I'll have to look for other interviews....

@PB

This is Mr. Hancock on The Unexplained podcast with host Howard Hughes in London. I enjoyed it very much. About 1 full hour.  At the end of 2015.   Show #227.

https://theunexplained.tv/episodes/edition-227-graham-hancock

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
@PB

This is Mr. Hancock on The Unexplained podcast with host Howard Hughes in London. I enjoyed it very much. About 1 full hour.  At the end of 2015.   Show #227.

Thanks - I'll def check it out.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
I was looking through books at the thrift store and found “A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” shelved in the travel section.
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2021, 01:11:10 PM »
@PB

Thanks for for sharing. A good listen.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
I was looking through books at the thrift store and found “A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” shelved in the travel section.

Haha. It doesn't get better than that.  (Note to self: visit used bookstore soon and creatively recategorize and file that book.)

And if that was recent, it times well with your mentioning Venus On the Half Shell, which was supposedly an inspiration to writing AHGTTG.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »
Thanks for for sharing. A good listen.

:)  I'm glad PB brought all this up. It had been a great while since I listened to that episode and Hancock effectively  slamming lazy/inept/slanted journalism was good to hear again.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »
I spotted the book today.
Merry Christmas

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »
I spotted the book today.

Ladies and gentlemen . . .  we have synchronicity.

I would not be surprised if PKD's Horselover Fat coalesced into the Matrix during my next local used books store visit.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2021, 08:43:20 PM »
The Variable Man (a collection of short stories) was the first one of his I read, assigned in English class...

I thought about this a little, that class was science fiction only.  I'd already taken English I and II, and needed a third.  The only other English class option that quarter was a class writing and given speeches, so the choice was easy.

The other books we were assigned were -

A Canticle For Liebowitz - Walter M Miller
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem
Childhoods End - Arthur C Clark
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K Le Guin
To Your Scattered Bodies Go - Philip Jose Farmer
The Variable Man - Philip K Dick
And some book about a kid with a telepathic dog (or something like that), which I didn't like.

There may be one or two others I'm not remembering.  It was a pretty good list, and didn't just go with more obvious stuff.

The thing I remember most about the class was playing hangman in the back of the room with a friend, using only the letters in the professor's name.  Also, who could name (write down) the most current and former Seattle SuperSonics players.  The books were good, but class discussion was less than riveting.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »

That' some funny shit.  If I ever want to read it, I'll know where to look.