Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34462 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
11.) THE SPINSTER BOOK (1901)

by Myrtle Reed

"A man will ride, row, and swim with one girl and marry another who is afraid of horses, turns pale at the mention of a boat, and who would look forward to an interview with His Satanic Majesty with more ease and confidence than to dip in the summer sea."

- Myrtle Reed, The Spinster Book
This is one of those rare occasions that the cover of the book trumps the title and compels me to read/buy or purchase online in the case that I am unable to find locally.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2021, 06:29:48 PM »
This is one of those rare occasions that the cover of the book trumps the title and compels me to read/buy or purchase online in the case that I am unable to find locally.

@KSM

Another interesting quote from Myrtle (that again made me think of The Rolling Stones) wherein she is literally being  devil's advocate:

"It pleases a man very much to be told that he 'knows the world,' even though his acquaintance be limited to the flesh and the devil - a gentleman, by the way, who is much misunderstood and whose faults are persistently exaggerated."

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2021, 07:21:40 PM »
@KSM

Another interesting quote from Myrtle (that again made me think of The Rolling Stones) wherein she is literally being  devil's advocate:

"It pleases a man very much to be told that he 'knows the world,' even though his acquaintance be limited to the flesh and the devil - a gentleman, by the way, who is much misunderstood and whose faults are persistently exaggerated."
Thank you.  And now I hear Paint it Black.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Thank you.  And now I hear Paint it Black.

Shouldn't it be Sympathy for the Devil?
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2021, 06:52:37 PM »
12.) NO TITLE (NO YEAR)

by NO NAME

It's my 12th book this year. That's all I will say, least I be disciplined by the organization.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM »
13.) ZOTZ! (1947)

by Walter Karig

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2021, 05:39:47 PM »
How To Turn A Prince Into A Frog

- Megan Markle

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
How To Turn A Prince Into A Frog

- Megan Markle

LOL!!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
I've read more books over the past year and a half during the Wuhan flu era than probably any other 18 month period in my life.

I'm currently 200 pages in on Graham Hancock's 'Before America: The Key to Earth’s Lost Civilization'.  This is probably the best thing I've read in a long time.  I've always liked his interviews on Coast, and one of my top interests is how the America's came to be populated.  Another interest is alternative history, even if some of it it is purely for entertainment - there is much that has been lost, much of what we've been told is wrong, and someone needs to at least ask questions and speculate sometimes based on the little evidence we do have in certain areas.

I've never read any of his books before, he's a good writer, and takes care to state what is fact (with plenty of support), vs speculation.

So far he's tying plenty of fairly new information together in one place.  The chapters I've read so far include alignment information on the Serpant Mound in Ohio, some really ancient sites found in the Americas, updated DNA information on Native Americans, and newly found ancient culture in the Amazon - including cities, moundworks, the manufactured Amazon Dark Earth (look it up, absolutely fascinating), and the fact that most of the plants and trees there appear to have originally been planned ''gardens'' and tended.

300 pages to go, yay!  Hopefully most of it is more of the same, and not drifting off to raw speculation and pet theories.

I though there would be a higher kook factor, I'm definitely going to consider more of his books.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2021, 03:55:37 PM »
RIGHT I REMEMBER THEM ALL.
Movies are never quite as good are they? Certainly when the best dramatic bits are changed.

I loved reading the Michael Crichton books, and Jurassic Park was just great.  I remember thinking how awesome the dinosaurs were going to be in the upcoming (at the time) movie, and they were spectacular.  The movie itself was just one small part of the book, but it mattered not, great movie too.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
8.) TIME OUT OF JOINT (1959)

by Philip K. Dick

The Variable Man (a collection of short stories) was the first one of his I read, assigned in English class, and I was hooked.

There was a time when his books were out of print, and not to be found anywhere.  Over a period of years I would somehow find one here or there in a used bookstore, until I had a pretty solid collection. 

I gave 'em all away to a friend once when I moved.  Ever look back and wonder wtf?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »
Re-reading Venus on the Half Shell by Kilgore Trout.  His books are hard to find, also.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2021, 06:08:03 PM »
Toying with diving into the Dunes of Frank Herbert.  Alot o' fuckin' readin' there. Not sure I'm up for it.

@PB  Were you expecting more of a "Kook factor" from Hancock because of the Art Bell association?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »
12.) NO TITLE (NO YEAR)

by NO NAME

It's my 12th book this year. That's all I will say, least I be disciplined by the organization.

I had no idea that was in existence. Um..   what's it about? @Camazotz Automat

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
Toying with diving into the Dunes of Frank Herbert.  Alot o' fuckin' readin' there. Not sure I'm up for it.

@PB  Were you expecting more of a "Kook factor" from Hancock because of the Art Bell association?

No, the alternative history factor - some of those guys have some pretty wild theories. 

So far his speculations on the information, which are a very small part of the book, seem reasonable  - mostly that some of what they have found in the Amazon so far in the way of civilizations, cultivation, alignments, and so on, are likely to have originally occurred considerably earlier than what's been found and documented so far.

His main speculative theory, what he calls his life's work and apparently runs through all his books (hence the subtitle), is that there was an ice age civilization that was completely wiped out of collective memory that ALL early civilizations descended from.  He's only mentioned that in passing so far, I imagine he'll tie all this into it at the end of the book.

I remember him being on Art's shows, but it's been so long I don't really remember any specific details.  If I were ever to go back and listen to any of those old shows, it would be the ones with Graham Hancock and a few others on similar topics.  Maybe I'll do that - thanks for the idea!