Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34471 times)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2021, 01:29:18 AM »

To Your Scattered Bodies Go - Philip Jose Farmer

Not to beat a dead Horse(lover Fat), but since the aforementioned Philip José Farmer is the true author of Venus On the Half Shell - writing under the pseudonym Kilgore Trout (with Kurt Vonnegut's approval) - we do indeed seem to be navigating a Farmer -  Vonnegutian web of synchronicity.

Yes, I had the unmitigated fucking nerve to type the sci-fi  affectation  "Vonnegutian."

(I've also been known to say "Gigeresque.")

What nerdism is next?

Do I attend a Comic Con while wearing  vulcanized rubber Vulcan ears?

Carry an accurate, overly sharp replica of the Krull glaive, while singing Don't Be Krull in Elvis, I mean, in Spock ears? 

Steal an updated hyper realistic Philip K. Dick android from Hanson Robotics again via jump seating to Hong Kong headquarters while posing as a Google cum Apollo Mind Initiative exec with the crucial collaboration of an old college buddy airline employee at DFW International?

(pause)

Strike that.  Forget I mentioned that. 

By the Nine Gods, where/when does this madness stop?

Vonnegutian.

(Eats a Cheeto. Sips Dr. Pepper. Vulcan ears twitching.)

Perhaps I am overthinking this and it is just another night at the lodge.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
14) JAWS (1974)

by Peter Benchley

Listening to this as an unabridged audiobook; the CD case comprises 8 discs.

This book was cited by @Rikki Gins on page 1 / comment #7 of this topic.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »
14) JAWS (1974)

by Peter Benchley

Listening to this as an unabridged audiobook; the CD case comprises 8 discs.

This book was cited by @Rikki Gins on page 1 / comment #7 of this topic.

I hope my memory serves us well, Cam.  Your audiobook reminds me that I have a William F. Buckley 'book' that has thirteen unabridged tapes in it.  It is called Miles Gone By and is read by Bill.  I bought it years ago at a Goodwill store.  To be honest, I doubt that I will ever take the time to listen to it.

Spender:  "I'm the last Martian."  From the movie.  Not sure if he said that in the book.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »
One area that's long been an interest to me is Central Asa - the Silk Road, the Himalayas, Tibet, and so on.

Awhile back I found an author that had written six books, all on the general subject, named Peter Hopkirk.

The first one I read was 'Foreign Trespassers on the Roof of the World' - the early westerners who tried and mostly failed to reach and enter Lhasa. 

'Foreign Devils on the Silk Road' was about the various ''scientific'' expeditions to the ancient cities along the Silk Road that had been lost - abandoned and covered with sand, and how they found them and carted off the treasures to various museums.

'The Great Game' was about Russia, China, and British India maneuvering for control of Central Asia

'On Secret Service East of Constantinople' was the Germans and Turks attempting to foment uprising and rebellion in India during WWI to tie the British down there.

'Setting the East Ablaze' was Russia's attempt between WWI and WWII to grab as much of Central Asia as they could

The last one I read was 'Quest for Kim', tracing the footsteps of Kipling's fictional character.  Of course I had to read 'Kim' first.

Really good books on the subjects.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
15) NO SUNSCREEN FOR THE DEAD (2019)

by Tim Dorsey

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re: The Book Lodge - JAWS sub thread
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2021, 08:40:42 AM »
I also read Jaws.

I read the novel Jaws years ago and man-o-man what a difference between it and the movie.  Let's see if I can remember the differences.

1.  After Chief Brody hires the shark expert Hooper to study the shark, Mrs. Brody, who is dissatisfied with her life, takes the sharkologist to a local motel and does the nasty with him.

2.  After fisherman Quint is hired to kill the shark, he, Chief Brody and shark expert Hooper make multiple trips out into the sea to get the shark.  (In the movie, they just make one long trip in search of the shark.)

3.  After they find the shark, Hooper goes down in his shark tank and the shark proceeds to rip the cage open and then it eats Hooper.  (Of course, he survived in the movie.)

4.  When the shark causes the boat to begin to sink, Quint manages to harpoon it a number of times, but then his foot gets caught in the rope and when the shark dives into the deep, Quint is taken with him and drowns.

5.  In the movie, Chief Brody was able to get the shark to explode, but in the book, the shark flopped its way up the sinking boat, eager to get a bellyful of the chief, but sadly (sad because I was rooting for the shark) it died from the effects of Quint's harpoon strikes, and Brody was able to paddle his way back to shore.

6.  I imagine there are more differences that I can't remember.  My god, I read that book back in 1975, not too long after the movie came out.

RIGHT I REMEMBER THEM ALL.
Movies are never quite as good are they? Certainly when the best dramatic bits are changed.

I hope my memory serves us well, Cam.  Your audiobook reminds me that I have a William F  Buckley 'book' that has thirteen unabridged tapes in it.  It is called Miles Gone By and is read by Bill.  I bought it years ago at a Goodwill store.  To be honest, I doubt that I will ever take the time to listen to it.

Spender:  "I'm the last Martian."   movie.  Not sure if he said that in the book.

Your memory served perfectly, RG.  You and anniem possess excellent recall.

Your differential  points, 1 through 5 : all correct.

I would also bet, in  point the sixth,  you are also correct, but I would have to see the film again to swear to it. It has just been too long for my brand of recall. heh.

Those "Buckley Tapes" "sound" fascinating!

To recap, JAWS was cited by @anniem on page 1  / comment 4

and

by @Rikki Gins on page 1 / comment 7 of this topic

1) The unabridged audiobook of JAWS was highly enjoyable.

2) I plan to read JAWS in hardcopy at some point for tactile X, Y, & Z axis mapping.  ( don't ask)

3) Will also rewatch the film after all these years.

JAWS. To the third power.

That's how we sometimes obsessively  compulsively  roll at  the Book Lodge.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »

Those "Buckley Tapes" "sound" fascinating!

Thanks, Cam.  Your post has prompted me to listen to the tapes.  I'll have to locate my tape player up in the attic but that's no biggie.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
Thanks, Cam.  Your post has prompted me to listen to the tapes.  I'll have to locate my tape player up in the attic but that's no biggie.
That's great to hear! I look forward to any updates.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2021, 02:02:55 PM »
I had no idea that was in existence. Um..   what's it about? @Camazotz Automat

@KSM

Heh heh.

It is a strange little book I ordered from the United Kingdom.

It is a  bit difficult to describe. I will quote from PS Publishing's website.

My apologies for the much delayed response:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

THE CATALOGUE OF THE GREATEST OCCULT BOOK AUCTION OF ALL TIME edited by Nate Pedersen       

"Scholars and book collectors across the country have long pondered the intended fate of the infamous collection of rare occult books left to rot in the Church of Starry Wisdom in Providence, Rhode Island, after the Starry Wisdom cult dispersed to parts unknown in the late 19th century.

The recent, shocking discovery of a previously unknown book auction catalogue issued in 1877 offers insight into the myriad mysteries of the cult. Entitled “Catalogue of the Occult Library of the Recently Disbanded Church of Starry Wisdom of Providence, Rhode Island,” and issued by the notorious Arkham firm Pent & Serenade, the catalogue reveals the long-suspected fact that the Church intended to sell its library to finance its removal from Providence.

The sale, of course, never materialized—as later events make obvious—but the book auction catalogue informs us of the cult’s original intent and leaves for us an enormously valuable and fascinating piece of ephemera detailing the infamous collection of rare occult books in all of its dark and foreboding glory.

Furthermore, the book auction catalogue is unique amongst its contemporaries in that the auction firm Pent & Serenade—recognizing the importance of the exceedingly rare volumes in the cult’s possession—commissioned a wide variety of 19th-century scholars to write essays on the histories of the books offered at auction.

As such, the catalogue is a uniquely—almost absurdly—valuable item for scholars and collectors around the world, and is presented here in exacting facsimile by PS Publishing."

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-starry-wisdom-library-jhc-edited-by-nate-pedersen-2564-p.asp

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »
@KSM

Heh heh.

It is a strange little book I ordered from the United Kingdom.

It is a  bit difficult to describe. I will quote from PS Publishing's website.

My apologies for the much delayed response:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

THE CATALOGUE OF THE GREATEST OCCULT BOOK AUCTION OF ALL TIME edited by Nate Pedersen       

"Scholars and book collectors across the country have long pondered the intended fate of the infamous collection of rare occult books left to rot in the Church of Starry Wisdom in Providence, Rhode Island, after the Starry Wisdom cult dispersed to parts unknown in the late 19th century.

The recent, shocking discovery of a previously unknown book auction catalogue issued in 1877 offers insight into the myriad mysteries of the cult. Entitled “Catalogue of the Occult Library of the Recently Disbanded Church of Starry Wisdom of Providence, Rhode Island,” and issued by the notorious Arkham firm Pent & Serenade, the catalogue reveals the long-suspected fact that the Church intended to sell its library to finance its removal from Providence.

The sale, of course, never materialized—as later events make obvious—but the book auction catalogue informs us of the cult’s original intent and leaves for us an enormously valuable and fascinating piece of ephemera detailing the infamous collection of rare occult books in all of its dark and foreboding glory.

Furthermore, the book auction catalogue is unique amongst its contemporaries in that the auction firm Pent & Serenade—recognizing the importance of the exceedingly rare volumes in the cult’s possession—commissioned a wide variety of 19th-century scholars to write essays on the histories of the books offered at auction.

As such, the catalogue is a uniquely—almost absurdly—valuable item for scholars and collectors around the world, and is presented here in exacting facsimile by PS Publishing."

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-starry-wisdom-library-jhc-edited-by-nate-pedersen-2564-p.asp

No apology necessary. I appreciate the information and the link! :)   Very intriguing to say the least.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »
Arkham! As in Lovecraft. His Arkham was in Massachusetts. This book moved it to Rhode Island. Lovecraft's home state.  Later usurped by Batman mythos as in Arkham Asylum
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »
I read the novel Jaws years ago and man-o-man what a difference between it and the movie.  Let's see if I can remember the differences.

1.  After Chief Brody hires the shark expert Hooper to study the shark, Mrs. Brody, who is dissatisfied with her life, takes the sharkologist to a local motel and does the nasty with him.

2.  After fisherman Quint is hired to kill the shark, he, Chief Brody and shark expert Hooper make multiple trips out into the sea to get the shark.  (In the movie, they just make one long trip in search of the shark.)

3.  After they find the shark, Hooper goes down in his shark tank and the shark proceeds to rip the cage open and then it eats Hooper.  (Of course, he survived in the movie.)

4.  When the shark causes the boat to begin to sink, Quint manages to harpoon it a number of times, but then his foot gets caught in the rope and when the shark dives into the deep, Quint is taken with him and drowns.

5.  In the movie, Chief Brody was able to get the shark to explode, but in the book, the shark flopped its way up the sinking boat, eager to get a bellyful of the chief, but sadly (sad because I was rooting for the shark) it died from the effects of Quint's harpoon strikes, and Brody was able to paddle his way back to shore.

6.  I imagine there are more differences that I can't remember.  My god, I read that book back in 1975, not too long after the movie came out.

And the totally unnecessary affair between Hooper and Mrs. Brody. One example where the movie was much better than the novel. I got a very dog-eared copy at a garage sale but still read it several years ago. I should have saved my $1

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
Arkham! As in Lovecraft. His Arkham was in Massachusetts. This book moved it to Rhode Island. Lovecraft's home state.  Later usurped by Batman mythos as in Arkham Asylum

@TigerLily

(puzzled look)

No, you are incorrect.  This book has not "moved" Arkham anywhere. 

( If such an error had been made, I'm sure S.T. Joshi would not have contributed his introduction, which ends thusly:

S. T. Joshi
Rare Books & Manuscripts Division
Armitage Library, Miskatonic University
Arkham, Massachusetts
November 2013  )

Throughout the book, if Arkham is referenced, it is as being in Massachusetts.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
Dear BatGod. I know you do not know me very well. But it's time you learn I may have misread but I am never mistaken. Perhaps it was this paragraph that threw me off: "Entitled “Catalogue of the Occult Library of the Recently Disbanded Church of Starry Wisdom of Providence, Rhode Island,” and issued by the notorious Arkham firm Pent & Serenade, [I assumed of the same location]

So a simple logical leap steered me wrong. Precision in writing is all important. Please don't let that happen again

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
Dear @Camazotz Automat  I am looking for a like new or gently used issue of the Necronomicon. Only a first issue penned by Abdul Alhazred himself will do. You seem to traveI in those literary circles so I thought you might keep an eye peeled. Two eyes if it's not asking too much. I seemed to have left mine at Lestat's while enjoying an iced vanilla café. And I was right in the middle of a particularly interesting incantation

I did leave a tip and an appropriate salutation for the absconder