Author Topic: Aviation Thread  (Read 39418 times)

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
Re: Aviation Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »

Dude went in like a Kamikaze.  Wonder if the pilot vapor locked and was dead before he hit the ground?

Very grim.  I was less than 10 miles away when the GA aircraft and the Mexican DC-9 collided over Cerritos in 1986, we could see the smoke of the burning houses hit by the aircraft 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »
Amazing fellah here:

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2021, 02:27:49 AM »
Are we having fun yet?

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/usaf-video-seems-to-show-sr-72/

Seeing the airborne retrieval of satellite film canisters brought back memories. Some day I might take the time to brag about how I discovered a systemic flaw in the way that 3 letter agencies had set up their priorities for photo reconnaissance that was shortening the life span of certain consumables on those satellites that would jettison their film canisters for airborne retrieval. A GAO audit couldn’t solve it or even begin to understand it. The flaw wouldn’t haven’t been a big deal with newer birds that had encrypted digital downlink, but the early ones only had so many film canisters.
Are we having fun yet?

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
Seeing the airborne retrieval of satellite film canisters brought back memories. Some day I might take the time to brag about how I discovered a systemic flaw in the way that 3 letter agencies had set up their priorities for photo reconnaissance that was shortening the life span of certain consumables on those satellites that would jettison their film canisters for airborne retrieval. A GAO audit couldn’t solve it or even begin to understand it. The flaw wouldn’t haven’t been a big deal with newer birds that had encrypted digital downlink, but the early ones only had so many film canisters.

Early in my career I worked with a retired C-119 loadmaster who, although he never flew any of the canister retrieval missions, told us youngsters about them.  I remember him telling us, "You only see the film of missions where they caught them, not the failures."

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42395/it-looks-like-a-c-130-seaplane-is-finally-happening

I'll believe it when I see it.  Hard to believe something like this could be approved in government controlled entirely by the Democrats.

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing/usaf-meets-with-japanese-navy-to-learn-about-amphibious-aircraft-operations/146517.article?utm_campaign=FG-DEFENCE-WL%20GORE_Flightsafety_24112021-JM&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=FG-DEFENCE-WL%20GORE_Flightsafety_24112021-JM

Looks like the AFSOC folks at least are seriously looking at seaplane operations.  Wonder if any one in a position of authority has considered just buying this Japanese amphibian, or maybe having a US company build it under licences.  We've done the latter before with a/c like the Harrier and B-57 Canberra.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
F-35 down due to stupid mistake.  Flop Gun

British F-35B Crash In The Med Possibly Caused By ‘Rain Cover’ Left On During Launch
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16829088/royal-navy-fighter-jet-crash/

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2021, 02:31:29 PM »
F-35 down due to stupid mistake.  Flop Gun

British F-35B Crash In The Med Possibly Caused By ‘Rain Cover’ Left On During Launch
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16829088/royal-navy-fighter-jet-crash/

Yep, but I can assure you that's the best news LM and the F-35 community could have gotten. That's a maintainer  training issue that is teachable, orders of magnitude better than having had a mechanical or system failure on the aircraft. That would have resulted in a world wide JSF grounding of at least the STOVL variant while requiried redesign and retrofit/modification was completed.   I've been through that.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
Yep, but I can assure you that's the best news LM and the F-35 community could have gotten. That's a maintainer  training issue that is teachable, orders of magnitude better than having had a mechanical or system failure on the aircraft. That would have resulted in a world wide JSF grounding of at least the STOVL variant while requiried redesign and retrofit/modification was completed.   I've been through that.

Video of the incident has leaked.  Looks like something out of a Benny Hill episode.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://twitter.com/sebh1981/status/1465351592018956295

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
@Rikki Gins

Hey Rix,

Those sub hunting airplanes that fly by your area occasionally do find a sub. Nice picture from a P-3 Orion

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2021, 11:00:37 PM »
@Walks_At_Night  Oh, look at that!  One of them flew some circles about a month ago but I haven't seen it since.  They also turned off whatever it is that allows the air traffic ID app to get information on them.  They were flying incognito, I guess.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2021, 06:37:18 AM »
This video goes on forever - I'm only 8 minutes in but it is pretty wild. Its about a jet crash that wipes out the leaders of a dubious weight loss church.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2021, 07:13:22 AM »

This video goes on forever - I'm only 8 minutes in but it is pretty wild. Its about a jet crash that wipes out the leaders of a dubious weight loss church.

Probably a sad case of an overweight plane.  Too much hair.

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated