Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 120305 times)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
  • The posthumous collection
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #2085 on: November 18, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
Tonight's full moon "take of eight," from plant #4.
Adulthood is Hell. - H. P. Lovecraft

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2086 on: November 19, 2021, 08:06:43 AM »
@FISH  The ghost of Euell Gibbons would like me to pass on some info to you.  Cockleburs are deadly to animals and humans, and should not be eaten.  Sandburs on the other hand, can be eaten and make for a nice seed treat.  Hold the stem end and place the seed head over a fire and carefully burn off the spines.  The remaining seed and hull can then be eaten.

"Wild parties" with the Sandburs @Rikki Gins  :)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2087 on: November 19, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

These delicate little flowers were blooming just last week, but the first frost of the season put an end to them.
pretty

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Johnny the Hawk
« Reply #2088 on: November 19, 2021, 01:52:43 PM »

EllGab Garden Cloud Picture of the Day.  I see a space alien face looking down at swimming dolphins.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2089 on: November 20, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »

EllGab Garden Cloud Picture of the Day.  I see a space alien face looking down at swimming dolphins.
Your alien must be #8 @Rikki Gins . The Sirians are those types of aliens that in spite of having a humanoid structure prefer to live around in the water. These aquatic aliens are mostly found in oceans and lakes where there is huge depth. They are known to have come from Sirius B Star system.
https://proofofalien.com/top-10-different-types-of-alien-species-on-earth/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Johnny the Hawk
« Reply #2090 on: November 23, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »

Some photos of the lunar eclipse that occurred earlier in the week.  Taken from my EllGab garden during a rather cloudy night.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #2091 on: November 24, 2021, 09:56:36 AM »

Some photos of the lunar eclipse that occurred earlier in the week.  Taken from my EllGab garden during a rather cloudy night.
Nice! I love the lunar eclipses. So beautiful.  :)
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2092 on: November 25, 2021, 07:27:37 AM »

GREAT PHOTOS @Rikki Gins .

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2093 on: November 27, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »
If I don't drink coffee, then I drink hot black tea. This lemon balm herb ( MELISSA OFFICINALIS ) thrives under a bedroom lamp grow light. One leaf is added to steep per black tea serving.  It isn't as challenging as growing tomatoes, but is amazingly satisfying nonetheless.

Like the tomato plants, this plant loves me unconditionally.

You hear that, Debbie from Ninth grade?!?!? You treacherous...

Anyway, lemon balm soothes the beast within.

Highly recommended.

(Except for Debbie)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #2094 on: November 27, 2021, 08:37:05 PM »
If I don't drink coffee, then I drink hot black tea. This lemon balm herb ( MELISSA OFFICINALIS ) thrives under a bedroom lamp grow light. One leaf is added to steep per black tea serving.  It isn't as challenging as growing tomatoes, but is amazingly satisfying nonetheless.

Highly recommended.

(Except for Debbie)

@Camazotz Automat have you ever sampled yaupon tea?  I harvest leaves from around my tipi grounds, roast them in the oven and use them to make batches of iced tea. I use a maple syrup mixed with honey I found somewhere as a sweetener.

It’s my understanding that yaupon is the only native plant in North America that contains caffeine. Its pretty tasty. You can adjust the flavor from green tea to black tea by controlling how long you roast the leaves. 10-12 minutes in a 325F oven is all it takes for the way I like it.
Are we having fun yet?

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2095 on: November 28, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »
@Camazotz Automat have you ever sampled yaupon tea?  I harvest leaves from around my tipi grounds, roast them in the oven and use them to make batches of iced tea. I use a maple syrup mixed with honey I found somewhere as a sweetener.

It’s my understanding that yaupon is the only native plant in North America that contains caffeine. Its pretty tasty. You can adjust the flavor from green tea to black tea by controlling how long you roast the leaves. 10-12 minutes in a 325F oven is all it takes for the way I like it.
No, @GravitySucks

Until now, I knew nothing about this tea. But you can bet your sweet bippy I will be sampling some soon.

One of the first articles that came up was by someone in the travel section of the BBC.

Well, if they don't know tea, Vaughn wasn't a  Man from U.N.C.L.E.

This writer touched on a lot in this informative piece, from Native American usage to the  possible tea industry sabotage via the incorrect scientific name it was given.

Thanks for the reveal, Grav. Made my weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20210223-yaupon-the-rebirth-of-americas-forgotten-tea

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #2096 on: November 28, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
No, @GravitySucks

Until now, I knew nothing about this tea. But you can bet your sweet bippy I will be sampling some soon.

One of the first articles that came up was by someone in the travel section of the BBC.

This writer touched on a lot in this informative piece, from Native American usage to the  possible tea industry sabotage via the incorrect scientific name it was given.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20210223-yaupon-the-rebirth-of-americas-forgotten-tea

@Camazotz Automat yaupon is supposed to be an immune system builder. The way I prepare it ends up with an iced tea that doesn’t taste much different than a really good iced tea. My girlfriend drinks it hot. I don’t care for hot beverages.

She crumples the leaves and lets them steep in a cup using a tea strainer. I run mine through a bullet blender to make a powder not unlike a macha tea powder. I find that using the powder imparts more flavor in a shorter time than just using crumpled leaves. I make a batch of iced tea one gallon at a time using spring water and then just strain it when it cools. It doesn’t keep quite as long as regular iced tea. Seems like it starts getting floaters in it if I don’t use it up in a week.

Glad to be of service in your continued enlightenment. I used to know quite a bit about plants and their uses for nutrition and medicine. I taught survival refresher training for a few years in the Air Force. Sadly most of that knowledge is in offline storage at the moment. I have an app that identifies plants using the camera on my phone. But I still don’t remember most of what I look up a few days later.
Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2097 on: November 28, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »
I like all the tea talk.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2098 on: November 28, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »

Highly recommended.

(Except for Debbie)
I hate to burst your bubble but Lemon Balm is in the mint family and mint LOVES everyone!!!
>>>Apologies, Debbie paid me good money. Now I feel dirty.  :(
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2099 on: November 28, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »
No, @GravitySucks

Hmmm, I'm saving this article for later. I'm a bit upset that I don't know of Yaupon. I used to research quite a bit of ethnobotany for the Denver Botanic Garden's Herbaria and I certainly would have remembered that latin! LOL Color me intrigued! Thanks @GravitySucks and @Camazotz Automat .

Also-Grav will you give Rikki's Garden thread audience a refresher in survival? Not kidding, I LOVE that sort of thing and grew up being taught fun stuff like that and have taken different wilderness survival courses through the years (my Mom thinks I'm crazy). It's like brain candy!

Sidenote- don't get lost in the woods or stranded after a plane crash with me if I don't like you. Even though I eat mostly plant based I WILL still make BBQ out of you before hiking out. Just call me Alfred Packer.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,