Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231371 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Hi @ShayP.  If you look at the bottom of the picture of ladybugs you will see some plastic netting material, which is actually the top of the bag that I snipped open with scissors.  I tell you what, as soon as the container is opened, the ladybugs go charging out and they get on my hands before I have a chance to attach the bag to the tree.  (I usually take a couple of thumb tacks and nail the bag to the tree.)  I pour some sugar water on the tree, just above the bag and the ladybugs will stop and drink the stuff before moving on.  When I say 'moving on' well, that's what they pretty much do.  They seem to head off for parts unknown unless you happen to have some critical aphid problems, or an excess of other types of insects that the ladybugs like to eat.  Even so, I can often see a ladybug that has decided to stick around, for up to a week or so.  After that, they go though their life cycles and you might wind up seeing a number of generations of ladybugs in one summer.

You might find some ladybugs at a grange, or garden center type of store if you have them there in Richmond.  I get my ladybugs at a local Fred Meyer store that has a garden section.  They hang the pouches in a row (up and down) and they are kind of hard to notice unless you are looking for them.  (They also sell praying mantis eggs but I have never had much luck in getting those to hatch.)  Each pouch holds hundreds of ladybugs and it takes several hours for them to crawl to freedom.  There are lots of dead ladybugs at the bottom of the pouch...not sure how long their transit time is.  Anyway, ladybugs are fun to watch.  Hope you can find them somewhere.  Cheers.         I've se
They are packed inhumanely, it causes gang sexual asssualt, not joking here bec I've seen it. And the have no food or water source.  Some die.  Possibly after gang rape.  I have been outraged by this since 1997.  As you know, they are living beings, yet way more care goes intio packaging of mere cosmetics for women.  While real ladies, the lady bugs, die of suffocatio, repeated sexusal assault, dehydration, lack of light and no food.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »
They are packed inhumanely, it causes gang sexual asssualt, not joking here bec I've seen it. And the have no food or water source.  Some die.  Possibly after gang rape.  I have been outraged by this since 1997.

Are you saying some of the ladybugs were actually ladyboybugs?
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »
Are you saying some of the ladybugs were actually ladyboybugs?
Quite.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
They are packed inhumanely, it causes gang sexual asssualt, not joking here bec I've seen it. And the have no food or water source.  Some die.  Possibly after gang rape.  I have been outraged by this since 1997.  As you know, they are living beings, yet way more care goes intio packaging of mere cosmetics for women.  While real ladies, the lady bugs, die of suffocatio, repeated sexusal assault, dehydration, lack of light and no food.

Hi Sofia.  I have researched what you claim to be happening to the ladybugs after they are placed in containers but I can't find any info on the subject.  Your source, please? 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »
I want to stick to gardening, so I won’t mention names, but the garden ignorance out there is astounding. A Member of the US Congress recently criticized the growing of cauliflower in a Brooklyn community garden as being “colonial.” She suggested growing yuca (cassava not yucca) or plantains instead.

Another young woman came on a network political show to defend the no-cauliflower movement. She said the reason for her opposition to growing the vegetable was that planting the same crop year after year depletes the soil. She clearly didn’t know crop rotation has been a common practice for thousands of years.

Then the host asked if perhaps the reason yuca and plantains weren’t grown in Brooklyn was because, as tropical plants, they won’t grow that far north. The woman’s jaw literally literally dropped. Her face filled with astonishment. She then talked about community gardens having a lot of women with time on their hands who could devote that time to getting the vegetables to grow.

“Can’t they try?” She pleaded at the end with the earnest expression the millennials get on their faces.

Brooklyn is growing zone 7b. Plantains grow in zone 8 through 11. Yuca won’t grow the roots below freezing.

I’m continually astonished to realize that people not only don’t know things but don’t know that knowledge exists and can be looked up.

Merry Christmas

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2019, 05:13:53 AM »
I want to stick to gardening, so I won’t mention names, but the garden ignorance out there is astounding. A Member of the US Congress recently criticized the growing of cauliflower in a Brooklyn community garden as being “colonial.” She suggested growing yuca (cassava not yucca) or plantains instead.

Another young woman came on a network political show to defend the no-cauliflower movement. She said the reason for her opposition to growing the vegetable was that planting the same crop year after year depletes the soil. She clearly didn’t know crop rotation has been a common practice for thousands of years.

Then the host asked if perhaps the reason yucca and plantains weren’t grown in Brooklyn was because, as tropical plants, they won’t grow that far north. The woman’s jaw literally literally dropped. Her face filled with astonishment. She then talked about community gardens having a lot of women with time on their hands who could devote that time to getting the vegetables to grow.

“Can’t they try?” She pleaded at the end with the earnest expression the millennials get on their faces.

Brooklyn is growing zone 7b. Plantains grow in zone 8 through 11. Yuca won’t grow the roots below freezing.

I’m continually astonished to realize that people not only don’t know things but don’t know that knowledge exists and can be looked up.

What?   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
                        From the Library of Congress.  The Iron County Record., May 30, 1919.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
Dammit. It’s so hot my tomatoes are sitting on the vine green and laughing at me.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
Dammit. It’s so hot my tomatoes are sitting on the vine green and laughing at me.

I don't have any tomatoes to laugh at me.  Still just blossoms.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
The roses are in full bloom at this time.  There was a lot of rain during the peak blooming period and the rose blooms were kind of waterlogged, but I did manage to get a couple pics taken in between the downpours.

This is the White Rose of York, named after the symbol that Richard the Third and his army fought under.  (Interestingly, I had a Red Rose of Lancaster, the opposing, and victorious, army, planted next to the white rose but it died many years ago.)  The picture is deceiving, the flowers for this rose are small and they only bloom for a day or two before they start to fall apart.

I forgot the name of this rose...Doctor something or other.  This rose blossom is twice the size of the white one.

I bought these roses many years ago from an outfit that specialized in selling old fashioned rose plants.  I think they are still operating, in Watsonville, California but I refuse to reveal their name.  As much as I love my two surviving rose plants, my relationship with the seller is less than perfect, and it was all their fault.  I used to be on good terms with them and would always purchase a rose plant every year.  They had an earthquake once and suffered some damage to their rose beds and I was sure to give them my business to help them out.  Then, after I had mailed in yet another order, I got this nasty, mean spirited notice that I had shorted them 25 cents on the check that I had enclosed with the order.  Now, here is something that you must know...this was long before personal computers and when you ordered something, be it books, tapes, plants, whatever, you had catalogues and you would fill out orders with the proper stock item numbers, the cost of the item and the proper added postage amount for shipping the item.  Well, I was always extra careful when it came to filling out mail orders, and I would always double check, and sometimes triple check my orders for accuracy.  Yup, I was kind of anal about it.  Anyway, I kind of think that they had raised their prices without notifying the customers, which is their right, but they shouldn't have got all bent out of shape over it from having an incomplete amount enclosed on an order.  That letter was rather harsh and they all but accused me of trying to stiff them for a lousy quarter.  I put a quarter in an envelope and sent it to them and I wish I had given them an angry letter in return, but I was so mad over the whole thing that I quite simply stopped doing business with them and haven't purchased any of their roses in many a year, now.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
I'm revisiting a reference book that I've had since I bought and landscaped my first home. It's still a great resource- and I somehow have lost 4 hours in it!
Ms. Hyde has a hard nosed approach I really like. I'd recommend giving this book a try for anyone in the Great Basin or Rockies: Hyde, Barbara. Gardening in the Mountain West. 2nd ed., Barbara J. Hyde, Inc., 1999.

https://denvergardeners.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/master-gardeners-heart-barbara-hyde-boardman/

P.S. It hailed tonight- BIG hard hail- car alarms where going off. Yep, it's one of those springs.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »

A flowery entrance to a cave system called Fairyland, in Colorado. 

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »

A flowery entrance to a cave system called Fairyland, in Colorado.

Georgia

https://charismaticplanet.com/fairyland-caverns/
Are we having fun yet?

MAX

• Elluminati
« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »
I don't have any tomatoes to laugh at me.  Still just blossoms.
This is not much but I have 10 , 12 deer in my yard at all times except if my dog is out. I made these boxes and put up these fence and made a raised bed garden. Should have some Jersey tomatoes in a month. 🙂

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Georgia

https://charismaticplanet.com/fairyland-caverns/

I hereby blame the postcard seller:
Colorado CO Fairyland Caverns Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain