Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 233945 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Hornets or Yellowjackets
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
Too scary in 4th! But great win. We can both agree ou sucks!

My son is a Texas fan
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
Well if you were stirring up a yellow jackets nest with a pool cue then please note that the gallon of 93 octane was a joke.

Go all Salt Walt on their ass with Isopropyl

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ha. Sorry. NO! Not that brave. Sorry, pool stick I mentioned was from pool I brought around to poke at distance. The one for net or brush with big extensions. "Hey, I'll poke and disturb, y'all spray n figure out where its at!" No hero, here, in this case. Now if my "shove road flare down" wins I might he hero...or goat. BUT you got ke thinking. Pool chemicals. Hmmm. Got chorine tablets, muratic acid, ...

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
Ha. Sorry. NO! Not that brave. Sorry, pool stick I mentioned was from pool I brought around to poke at distance. The one for net or brush with big extensions. "Hey, I'll poke and disturb, y'all spray n figure out where its at!" No hero, here, in this case. Now if my "shove road flare down" wins I might he hero...or goat. BUT you got ke thinking. Pool chemicals. Hmmm. Got chorine tablets, muratic acid, ...

Muratic acid you say?     You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't go that route!   We want a *full* report, mind you................

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
My son is a Texas fan
Nice. You must be, somewhat, happy realignment and bs $ makes Thanksgiving easier. Haha. And all can agree over meals that ou sucks.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
Nice. You must be, somewhat, happy realignment and bs $ makes Thanksgiving easier. Haha. And all can agree over meals that ou sucks.

My daughter is a happy camper right now. LSU and Auburn both lost. Iowa State beat Oklahoma St too. Seems to be quite a few upsets of ranked teams this week.

Hanging my head because I don’t think Nebraska will win a game this year.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »
Muratic acid you say?     You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't go that route!   We want a *full* report, mind you................

Can you believe they are building a new fire station near me! Damn. Great, more service. Bad, block parties. Fast response does jive with us. Not only those. Actually, n better in case of damage a simple dry-ice works. The chorline stuff is good but worrying (etched a friends car once.) AL n Muriatic is nice but, again, kids don't do. I never done any of them. New fire marshal we only burn stuff fot bbq or for illegals keeping warm on site. Sanctuary city!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
My daughter is a happy camper right now. LSU and Auburn both lost. Iowa State beat Oklahoma St too. Seems to be quite a few upsets of ranked teams this week.

Hanging my head because I don’t think Nebraska will win a game this year.
I miss them but never a good fit. Fans too nice, seriously. Even when we bitched about that weird county program that made them good.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 05:25:21 AM »
My son is a Texas fan

Don't let GS's flair distract you from the fact that Texas lost to Kansas.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 05:34:32 AM »
Either way, need to kill em. Situation, at one point was a "hold my beer" situation when neighbor decided a poke n spray approach would work. Another trip to store for cans of spray and Benadryl (I was thinking that could he illegal, some meth making thing) but electronic check-out didn't stop (maybe flagged for later?) Anyhow killer didnt work. Methods were being discussed over beers. Decided to wait til manana. Maybe best. Thoughts were: pour kerosene, flood with hose, shove a lit road flare down, fireworks, pull out bush with truck while folks spray hole, pour deisel, or "get a sharpshooter and dig out, I'm immune." Most ideas were agreed that get your kid to film this so abandoned, for now. The spray didnt even kill ones flying back and forth. Bought 12 cans at Walmart, discounted. Now I know why discounted. Ideas?

You might try making a trap to thin the numbers out a bit.  That might make it easier to get close to assess the nest so you can figure out a plan of attack.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/g20706063/homemade-yellow-jacket-trap/

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 06:49:38 AM »
Can you believe they are building a new fire station near me! Damn. Great, more service. Bad, block parties. Fast response does jive with us. Not only those. Actually, n better in case of damage a simple dry-ice works. The chorline stuff is good but worrying (etched a friends car once.) AL n Muriatic is nice but, again, kids don't do. I never done any of them. New fire marshal we only burn stuff fot bbq or for illegals keeping warm on site. Sanctuary city!

get yourself some sevin. i would get the liquid and the powder garden dust.
at night (they are much less likely to leave the nest at night) flood the nest with sevin mixed as directed on its instructions. then put the powder down around the nest opening so the hornets have to get some on them as they leave/enter. with any luck they will take the sevin into the nest and it will kill the queen.

sevin has a very low toxicity to mammals, but is extremely toxic to insects.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

pate

• KMST
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »
Either way, need to kill em. Situation, at one point was a "hold my beer" situation when neighbor decided a poke n spray approach would work. Another trip to store for cans of spray and Benadryl (I was thinking that could he illegal, some meth making thing) but electronic check-out didn't stop (maybe flagged for later?) Anyhow killer didnt work. Methods were being discussed over beers. Decided to wait til manana. Maybe best. Thoughts were: pour kerosene, flood with hose, shove a lit road flare down, fireworks, pull out bush with truck while folks spray hole, pour deisel, or "get a sharpshooter and dig out, I'm immune." Most ideas were agreed that get your kid to film this so abandoned, for now. The spray didnt even kill ones flying back and forth. Bought 12 cans at Walmart, discounted. Now I know why discounted. Ideas?

Call an exterminator, preferably one with a bee suit.

My brother does that sort of work, he has access to chemicals civilians can't buy.  I don't think it is all that expensive

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
I took a couple pics of my prizewinning (ha) tomato plants.  There is too much clay in my soil so I prefer to grow cherry, yellow pear and other small tomato varieties in a row of pots.

Here you can see a yellow pear plant to the right.  You can also see a hummingbird feeder that I have hanging on the cage.  The hummingbirds love it.

Here is a closeup of some Bush Early Girl tomatoes.  This picture was taken several weeks back while we still had some forest fire smoke in the air.  You can see some ash there on the tomatoes.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Very nice!  I fear that this last round of rain has done my garden in for the year.  Most of my herbs have already drowned. 

How big of pots do you use, and do you use an automated watering system? 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Very nice!  I fear that this last round of rain has done my garden in for the year.  Most of my herbs have already drowned. 

How big of pots do you use, and do you use an automated watering system?

For the most part, my pots are 15 inches wide at the top and 1 foot high.  I've got them up on wooden platforms, otherwise my pugs will help themselves to the ripe tomatoes.  I water the tomatoes with a hose and a nozzle attachment that allows the water to burble out.  (Harder spray settings will push the potting soil out of the pots.)

The nights are starting to hit upper thirties as a low temperature.  That temperature is just a hop, skip and a jump to 32 degrees, and the end of the growing season here.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »

Would anybody like to hazard a guess as to what this colorful tree is called?