Author Topic: Sling Tv or Hulu or something else??  (Read 1493 times)

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
Sling Tv or Hulu or something else??
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:31:01 AM »
Which is better Sling TV or Hulu? Or is there something better out there???

Morgus

• Elluminati
Re: Sling Tv or Hulu or something else??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 01:25:57 PM »
Depends on what channels you want, each of the streaming live TV services have a different set of channels available.
The cheapest one is Philo for $16/month but they have no sports or news channels.
Sling doesn't have all the channels I watch, Hulu Live TV has a good channel list but their DVR feature only allows FF if you pay an extra $15/month so its more expensive than the others, also Hulu's video quality for my local channels was poor compared to others.

Directv Now has the best channel selection and good video quality but their features like DVR is weak currently, I did a free trial on that too. They offer several channel plan options at different prices, cheapest is $40/month.

Currently I'm on a free trial of Youtube TV and I find it works the best with the most features and top video quality even 1080p on many channels that can be verified with its "Stats for Nerds" display. Its missing a few channels like History, A&E, Animal Planet however but has a huge sports and news channels selection and the best for local channels.

So for me I'm deciding between Youtube TV and DirecTV now, both about $40/month.  I use newer model Roku devices on my TVs and get good streaming speed with a 5G wifi router.  All of these also worked on my Samsung android smartphone with their android apps as well as on a PC browser. Directv now only works with Chrome browser on a PC, but Hulu Live and Youtube TV work with other browsers too like Firefox.

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
I'd said Hulu but I really do not care for live streaming TV on an app. It depends on what you are interested in. What kind of shows are you looking to watch? Things on ABC or NBC normally show up next day for Hulu. I would recommend Hulu without ads.

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
The live streaming services are if you also want the cable news (CNN, Fox, CNBC, etc) and sports channels (ESPN, etc) and some live local channels plus a recording DVR feature.
Plain Hulu is just streamed on-demand shows, but they don't carry all the network shows like no CBS unless you get their Hulu Live service for $40/month and then still has ads.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
@ItsOver reminded me about how so much good tv is for free with a cheap antennae now that the government says must broadcast digital tv. You can get on online sites very cheaply and even cheap at your, likely closed, Radioshack etc. And better HD for live sports than your cable box or throttled internet. And no spying on what you are watching. And good tv with lots of channels that play decent tv and movies, not the modern crap (though if one wanted the social programming you still get the major networks.)  The only downside is not some sports channels, so only see if shown on regular networks.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »
To get an idea of which free over the air TV stations you will get, go to the link below. If you enter your location, it will give you directional and distance information and what stations you will get with various antenna types: https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29