The Woo > Technology

windows 10

(1/8) > >>

wr250:
placeholder for windows 10.
love it , hate it, have a question? post here

wr250:
With DaaS Windows coming, say goodbye to your PC as you know it. How much are you going to like having Microsoft in charge of your desktop?

Microsoft is getting ready to replace Windows 10 with the Microsoft Managed Desktop. This will be a “desktop-as-a-service” (DaaS) offering. Instead of owning Windows, you’ll “rent” it by the month.

another article

JUAN:
No my. I really will move to BSD

Dyna-X:

--- Quote from: wr250 on July 31, 2018, 07:11:37 AM ---placeholder for windows 10.
love it , hate it, have a question? post here

--- End quote ---
What I've noticed is those that have taken the plunge is that they get all angry and tell horror stories about 10, but when I join them in the hate they start defending it. I almost wonder if there is built in mind control in it.

I'm almost in a mode to complete all my projects started in 7 and bring them to fruition and hard copies and phase out computer/internet usage basically entirely. When I read about the DaaS - if that is where it is going, I want nothing to do with M$, period. Their thinking for about the last decade has been 180 degrees out of synch to my own. Its not like I can make a complaint, because the problems are philosophical and of overall design, not technical complaints about a driver or compatibility. As Hoagie would say, they are using the wrong model. Everything is being made more temporal, more complex behind the scenes, with less user control and forced upgrades. And the UI layouts are all made for phones, not for people trying to get things done.

How long will there be hardware to run air-gapped (non-connected) XP machines? Will they still exist as I enter my 70s? Then I think about BIOS batteries and the things that could kill a machine. Something has got to give here. This is getting ridiculous.

The great hope here is this:
https://www.reactos.org/

What kind of machine could I build in 2018 that could run air gapped until 2030 and beyond running something such as XP, Office 2003, etc? Think of it as the "Bunker Machine." The equivalent of COG - Continuity of Government for the personal computer user.

wr250:

--- Quote from: Dyna-X on July 31, 2018, 02:38:16 PM ---How long will there be hardware to run air-gapped (non-connected) XP machines? Will they still exist as I enter my 70s? Then I think about BIOS batteries and the things that could kill a machine. Something has got to give here. This is getting ridiculous.

The great hope here is this:
https://www.reactos.org/

What kind of machine could I build in 2018 that could run air gapped until 2030 and beyond running something such as XP, Office 2003, etc? Think of it as the "Bunker Machine." The equivalent of COG - Continuity of Government for the personal computer user.

--- End quote ---
you cant build this machine. XP lacks the needed drivers and compatibility to even install properly on a 2018 machine (assuming new modern hardware). your better off with some version of linux or  a bsd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version