Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231366 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
According to a humongous A to Z book on plants from 1999, Lantanas are classified as a group 9 plant when it comes to pruning.  This means that light pruning of the spent blooms should be done in late spring.  You already knew this though.  Severe pruning can be done also, but you won't get any blooms during the next growing season.  You have had winter damage already so you might want to sacrifice next years blooms for the safety of your plant.  Your call.  PS, it also said to prune back (at any time) any branch that ruins the symmetry of the Lantana.
Old lady down on the block who gardens like it is going out of style said that I can cut them back. So I did. Now, we will see if they come back in the spring.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This postcard belongs in the EllGab Garden thread.  It is an advertisement for a florist's shop in Maine.

I couldn't raise any info on the outfit so it might be gone, or it was bought out and resumed business under a different name.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »

Strange how citrus growers liked to use garden flowers to illustrate their produce.
Moving the Call Ranch house: http://www.coronaheritage.org/callhouse.html

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
I grew up with a rose garden (That was all I got), so I've been trimming them since I was in 7th grade.  If you include close ups of the vinework of your latanas, like angle your camera from under the blossoms if there are any, then I could give you specific guidance.  The time of year might not be as important as the placement, severity, and style of cut.  You probably already know to cut just above the nip, and to angle your cut top down, to minimize rain getting in the wound (not sure if it rains much where you are).  And the dead head to increase blooms.  It is fine to just prune the few inches under a dead head which are inches that are going to turn brown and fall off anyhow.  In general, I wouldn't prune very much at any one time, regardless off time of year, because I like tall rose bushes.  If you like short bushes, then yes you can cut them way down, but remember to cut above each nip, angle the blade down and inward so the wound kind has an overhang to keep rain out, and I would stagger the height of each major cut by many inches so your blossoms show more instead of all being at one height.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »

https://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

The latest issue of Agricultural News.  (100 years ago, that is.)  You can read it here:  https://archive.org/stream/agriculturalnews17grea/agriculturalnews17grea#page/n500/mode/1up
(Scroll down to page 413 for an interesting article on popcorn.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
I grew up with a rose garden (That was all I got), so I've been trimming them since I was in 7th grade.  If you include close ups of the vinework of your latanas, like angle your camera from under the blossoms if there are any, then I could give you specific guidance.  The time of year might not be as important as the placement, severity, and style of cut.  You probably already know to cut just above the nip, and to angle your cut top down, to minimize rain getting in the wound (not sure if it rains much where you are).  And the dead head to increase blooms.  It is fine to just prune the few inches under a dead head which are inches that are going to turn brown and fall off anyhow.  In general, I wouldn't prune very much at any one time, regardless off time of year, because I like tall rose bushes.  If you like short bushes, then yes you can cut them way down, but remember to cut above each nip, angle the blade down and inward so the wound kind has an overhang to keep rain out, and I would stagger the height of each major cut by many inches so your blossoms show more instead of all being at one height.

Thank you @Sofia for sharing your knowledge of pruning rose bushes.  Here is a pic of a rose from one of my bushes of twelve years back.  I can't remember what happened to the plant.  All I know is that it isn't around anymore and that's too bad because I've got other, less colorful roses that seem to have no trouble in surviving year after year.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2019, 01:04:45 AM »
`

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:12 AM »
Thank you @Sofia for sharing your knowledge of pruning rose bushes.  Here is a pic of a rose from one of my bushes of twelve years back.  I can't remember what happened to the plant.  All I know is that it isn't around anymore and that's too bad because I've got other, less colorful roses that seem to have no trouble in surviving year after year.

That is beautiful!  You're welcome.  Maybe someone dug it up when you weren't looking!

Chine

• Ninja Artist
  • KIDD
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
What a lovely and refreshing thread.

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Close up picture of a corpse plant.

You know Starr, whenever they have the flower of a Corpse Plant blooming, the botanical garden or university will usually put a webcam on it.  I like to watch the people file by looking at it, and I can do so for quite awhile.  I don't know why, but it fascinates me. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »
What a lovely and refreshing thread.

What a nice thing to say.  I'm very happy that you like it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2019, 06:38:26 PM »

Now that is simply beautiful!  Thank you, Bluejay.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2019, 01:49:40 AM »
Time to plan for this year's EllGab Garden.  Here is a new seed catalogue from Burpee: https://www.burpee.com/

They have a new cherry tomato called Honeycomb Hybrid.  I sure wouldn't mind growing one of those in a pot, next spring: https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-honeycomb-hybrid-prod500384.html