Author Topic: World War II History. The Men and the Equipment.  (Read 9415 times)

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
Re: World War II History. The Men and the Equipment.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
A pretty simple pic showing a French Built Somua S-35 medium tank and a German soldier running. The Germans used about 250 of these tanks after the French surrender.

Anyone care to take a guess at where and when this pic was taken?

Without doing an image search that is.

:P

Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
Time for another guess.

This image appears to be one thing but is actually another. Name these soldiers and what they are doing and I'll see if I can't get you half a Bart Buck.

Guess away!
Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
A pretty simple pic showing a French Built Somua S-35 medium tank and a German soldier running. The Germans used about 250 of these tanks after the French surrender.

I think I had a plastic soldier in that exact pose as a kid!

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »

Somewhere in the East against the Russians, early 42?

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
I binge watched the entire ten episode miniseries Friday night.
 Top notch!

Jayzelady

• Ellevated
  • Revenge of the chocolate bunnies!!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Ok, I admit being from Louisiana I am very proud of our area’s contribution to WWII. The Higgins Boat has been called “the boat that won the War”. I hope you will all enjoy this video on a very important part in our nation’s history. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:34 AM »
Here is to finding old friends and resurrected threads.

Today in history.

May 10 1940. The knotz Germans begin their invasion of western Europe. Within 6 weeks, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France had all been soundly defeated and the BEF had been expelled from the continent with massive losses in equipment.

Here is a pic of a German mechanized column going through a captured French town. Leading is a Sturmgeshütz III B. To my knowledge only 6 of these type were available
for the invasion. IIRC this example was attached to Liebstandarte Regiment at this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgeschütz_III

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 06:57:10 AM »
The Matilda II, circa May 1940. AN armored behemoth for its time. Too bad the main gun was pretty useless against soft targets, being able to only fire armor piercing ammo.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This pile of junk was heavily armored though that only reliable way to knock them was using a 88mm Flak gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_II

Astro Bitch

• KNYE
  • Excuse me, which level of hell is this?
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »
My Grand Father said he fought in the  Battles of Khalkhyn Gol and killed many Japs (his words, not mine), he says that the Japs were like a bunch of pissed off fire ants spreading thru Asia and that they needed a good stomping.
Not all girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some girls are made of sarcasm, wind, and everything fine.

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »
A bit off topic but I think it goes with the theme of this thread.

Memorial Day.

One of my Granddads was a 4-f for WW2. He had two missing fingers from workplace accidents. He was an electrician at a very large distillery, so he did not serve.
 My other Granddad had been drafted 6 months prior to the end and was scheduled to go the Pacific for Operation Olympic. The invasion of Japan.

All I can say is, thank God, that did not happen as Japan surrendered before he could get to his assigned unit. Had he gone, well the expected casulties of fighting in Japan proper were expected to be horrendous.

No other relatives that I know of served in WW2.

My Dad was drafted and served during peace time from 54-56. One Uncle served for 4 years and spent the vast majority of that time in Korea from 50-54.  He survived more than 2 years in combat there only to die going to his favorite bar to get liquored up. A car hit him while crossing the street and he died before he got to the hospital.

Another Uncle served in the navy for 24 years and retired in 1980.

I have read many of these testimonials today. Mostly by people that never served.

I served in the U.S. Army. Not gonna say when or where but here is the real deal. If you never serverd, thank God that you never had to.

May you have a blessed day and hopefully you get a nice deal on something you want today. Yes, men and women served and died so you could enjoy your freedoms and sales are part of that freedom.

May you all have a very Blessed Day, long life, health, and happiness.

:)

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
interesting thread I had not seen it before.

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 05:42:05 AM »
interesting thread I had not seen it before.

Slow going. I have a hard time thinking about what to post.

Most times.

The Tommy Gun
aka
M1928
aka
M1 submachine gun
aka
M1A1 submachine gun...pictured below, without tyhe muzzle baffles and a simpler rear sight.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is probably the most iconic submachine gun used during WW II. Used mainly by the U.S. Army with the Marines being the second largest users.  Despite popular hollywierdo images of gangsters using them, relative few of them fell into their hands. They were just too darn expensive to buy and they had to depend on stolen examples.

This thing fired a .45acp and was effective to about 30 yards. After that, you beeded a bit of luck to hit your target.  Another major drawback was the capaity magazine. You could go through 20 or 30 rounds quick in a fire fight. The 1928 model had a hundred round drum magazine but very few of those mags made it to front line usits because the M1 and M1A1 could not use them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
i don't have anything to add but i thank you for your efforts

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
My Grand Father said he fought in the  Battles of Khalkhyn Gol and killed many Japs (his words, not mine), he says that the Japs were like a bunch of pissed off fire ants spreading thru Asia and that they needed a good stomping.

Your grandfather was in the Red Army in the late 30s?

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »
This day in history. Two events took place.

June 4, 1942. The Battle of Midway. The Japanese lose 4 carriers sunk. The Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu, and Soryu, are all sent to the botom of the ocean for the loss of the carrier U.S.S. Yorktown, A couple of days later, the jap heavy crusier, Mikuma IIRC was also sent to the bottom by carrier based American Planes.

On June 4, 1944, Forces belonging General Marc Clark's 5th Army Group, depending on your point of view, either captured or liberated the capital of Italy, Rome. The first of the axis capital's to fall into Allied control. This event was completely forgotten 2 days later when the landings began in Normandy, France.

Such is Glory. Marc Clark got to bask in it for 2 whole days. Thats 2 more days than 99.999 of the population of the world will experience.