Author Topic: Music - Discuss your favorite music here.  (Read 291006 times)

Darth Maul

• KMST
  • BUT Who is the Master and who is the apprentice?
Re: Music - Discuss your favorite music here.
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2018, 06:32:17 PM »
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers... was sorry to see him pass so soon
Sith Lord From the Planet Dathomir

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »
Saw this live in Boston way back when...

Saw him too back in 1990 (approx.)  A band named Ultra Vivid Scene opened.  Workbook is one of my favorite albums of all time.   :)  8)

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
Saw him too back in 1990 (approx.)  A band named Ultra Vivid Scene opened.  Workbook is one of my favorite albums of all time.   :)  8)
Saw that same show.  UVS was surprisingly good.  I saw all of the Sugar tours too.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
Here's a ballad from a thrash metal band.  Chicks used to dig this long ago.  Oh the memories.

BTW...Testament rules.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:19 PM »
Saw that same show.  UVS was surprisingly good.  I saw all of the Sugar tours too.

Nice!   :D  8)  UVS was pretty good.  I think their bass player was the chick that went on to play with the Breeders.

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »
Here's a ballad from a thrash metal band.  Chicks used to dig this long ago.  Oh the memories.

BTW...Testament rules.

The Big Four (Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer) should have been the Big Six and included Testament and Exodus.

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
Nice!   :D  8)  UVS was pretty good.  I think their bass player was the chick that went on to play with the Breeders.
Yup, Josephine Wiggs.  Kim Deal sang backups on UVS song and introduced Kurt and her before The Breeders started.  You are making me remember my early 90’s music trivia.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2018, 07:06:40 PM »
The Big Four (Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer) should have been the Big Six and included Testament and Exodus.

So...LB, let me ask you.  How would you rank those 6 bands?  I know it's always tough to decide and kind of silly to try to do so being we all have our own tastes, but for fun...tell me.  :D

Here are mine (of those 6):

1 ~ Slayer
2 ~ Megadeth
3 ~ Metallica
4 ~ Testament
5 ~ Anthrax
6 ~ Exodus

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
Yup, Josephine Wiggs.  Kim Deal sang backups on UVS song and introduced Kurt and her before The Breeders started.  You are making me remember my early 90’s music trivia.

Ahhh...Kim Deal.  Always had the hots for her.  Hey, nothing wrong with remembering or reminiscing.  I'm sure we experienced collectively a lot of good music.   8)

Oh, and I will share this now, especially since I shared it on the old site.  I made an ass out of myself hitting on Ms. Wiggs at a club in Pittsburgh.  Yes, I'm a little younger than her and it showed.  Not one of my finer moments.  Her look at me was priceless.   ;D

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
So...LB, let me ask you.  How would you rank those 6 bands?  I know it's always tough to decide and kind of silly to try to do so being we all have our own tastes, but for fun...tell me.  :D

1 ~ Slayer
2 ~ Megadeth
3 ~ Metallica
4 ~ Testament
5 ~ Anthrax
6 ~ Exodus

Guns n' Posers Rule!

:P
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
Guns n' Posers Rule!

:P

Wasn't on the list!  >:(

;) ;D

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »

1 ~ Slayer
2 ~ Megadeth
3 ~ Metallica
4 ~ Testament
5 ~ Anthrax
6 ~ Exodus

In the 80's it would have been Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus. After Slayer, the order is pretty difficult and it probably changes from time to time. Rules are subject to change with or without notice at the discretion of management. As for now, I don't know. Megadeth and Metallica went to shit. The rest are still going pretty hard. I've seen Slayer and Exodus recently and they were both pretty good. I know Testament is still touring. I don't know much about Anthrax. Slayer is on the "farewell" tour right now and they have pretty consistently put out descent albums over the years. Testament and Exodus have put out some descent albums. Anthrax has put out some very questionable work.
I've always hated whiny Axl Rose. But I like whiny Mike Muir.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
In the 80's it would have been Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus. After Slayer, the order is pretty difficult and it probably changes from time to time. Rules are subject to change with or without notice at the discretion of management. As for now, I don't know. Megadeth and Metallica went to shit. The rest are still going pretty hard. I've seen Slayer and Exodus recently and they were both pretty good. I know Testament is still touring. I don't know much about Anthrax. Slayer is on the "farewell" tour right now and they have pretty consistently put out descent albums over the years. Testament and Exodus have put out some descent albums. Anthrax has put out some very questionable work.
I've always hated whiny Axl Rose. But I like whiny Mike Muir.

I'd say that Mega was still putting out good albums and shows after Metallica tried the 'new direction.' Some of the recent stuff is good also and still a good show last time I saw. Another thing to consider is you are more likely to see Testament, Exodus, and Anthrax (unless they are touring with the top 3 or at festivals) in smaller venues and so sometimes those are better shows. You aren't going to catch Slayer etc in anything but a huge venue, basically. (And now "last tour" supposedly. Ha. Been there before with so many bands.) And since Testament, Exodus, Anthrax doesn't rely on, as much, elaborate sets, special effects, etc you get to see them more up close and with only fans- not just casual fans or fans who know the MTV hit.

Zenman

• KDWN
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Piano & Acoustic Guitar ~ ELP ~ Take A Pebble/ Still, You Turn Me On/ Lucky Man

Keyboards aficionado here. Take a Pebble was one of the 1st ELP songs I came across, and one of the most beautiful piano pieces ever made, imo.

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »
I'd say that Mega was still putting out good albums and shows after Metallica tried the 'new direction.' Some of the recent stuff is good also and still a good show last time I saw. Another thing to consider is you are more likely to see Testament, Exodus, and Anthrax (unless they are touring with the top 3 or at festivals) in smaller venues and so sometimes those are better shows. You aren't going to catch Slayer etc in anything but a huge venue, basically. (And now "last tour" supposedly. Ha. Been there before with so many bands.) And since Testament, Exodus, Anthrax doesn't rely on, as much, elaborate sets, special effects, etc you get to see them more up close and with only fans- not just casual fans or fans who know the MTV hit.

Agreed. Mostly. Last good Megadeth album was Rust in Peace and the last good Metallica album was And Justice For All. I kind of gave up on both after that because of the disappointment of their next albums. I did see Megadeth at a smaller venue and it was pretty good though. They played mostly their older stuff.  I don't remember which tour it was (blame it on the mushrooms).