Author Topic: I can explain more about "Lost" than anyone who didn't write it.  (Read 3354 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
And everyone else is wrong.

Ask away.  Including about how I know.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: I can explain more about "Lost" than anyone who didn't write it.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
Haven't bothered to watch one episode due to all the negatives about the way it slowly and painfully ended over the last 2-3 seasons.

Are you going to tell me I should rethink this decision?  I know this isn't what you had in mind for your thread but please, Robert. Humor me.  :)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
Haven't bothered to watch one episode due to all the negatives about the way it slowly and painfully ended over the last 2-3 seasons.

Are you going to tell me I should rethink this decision?  I know this isn't what you had in mind for your thread but please, Robert. Humor me.  :)
I agree there was a lot of temporizing in its final (6th) season.  They really hadn't wanted the serial to take that long, but they did get an unprecedented advance deal to end it there.  If they'd been able to negotiate it, they probably would've liked to get a deal to do less than that full final season, but seasons come in certain lengths.

I was a friend of show runner Damon Lindelof, thru his father, for years before Lost, so I'm biased.  But my perspective also gives me insight that I wish others had, and that I can help impart.

Do you like detective stories?  Do you like puzzles?  Lost was a hidden mystery.  That is, even the fact that it was a mystery was not stated openly.  It's a mystery story that had no denouement -- that never came out and said it was a mystery, let alone tell you the solution at the end -- but that the audience definitely can solve.  It helps enormously if you're versed in detective drama and fiction, as well as knowledgeable about conspiracies, hoaxes, magic tricks, and scams.  Knowing some other fiction and nonfiction helps a bit too, because Lost often gives clues in the form of unstated allusions to source material.  Of course best of all would be knowing Damon Lindelof and certain conversations and experiences we shared over the years before Lost, but at least you have me.

As you watch Lost, remember the object is to figure out, what's really going on here?  What do these people know that we aren't told explicitly?  Who are they, really?

When you "get" the allusions and see the discrepancies between what seems to be happening and what you can infer is actually happening, if you're like me you'll LOL.  So Lost is really a dark comedy.

It starts with the very beginning.  You'll see what appears to be the scene of an airplane wreck with survivors.  But is it really?  Look critically at the evidence.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
I agree there was a lot of temporizing in its final (6th) season.  They really hadn't wanted the serial to take that long, but they did get an unprecedented advance deal to end it there.  If they'd been able to negotiate it, they probably would've liked to get a deal to do less than that full final season, but seasons come in certain lengths.

I was a friend of show runner Damon Lindelof, thru his father, for years before Lost, so I'm biased.  But my perspective also gives me insight that I wish others had, and that I can help impart.

Do you like detective stories?  Do you like puzzles?  Lost was a hidden mystery.  That is, even the fact that it was a mystery was not stated openly.  It's a mystery story that had no denouement -- that never came out and said it was a mystery, let alone tell you the solution at the end -- but that the audience definitely can solve.  It helps enormously if you're versed in detective drama and fiction, as well as knowledgeable about conspiracies, hoaxes, magic tricks, and scams.  Knowing some other fiction and nonfiction helps a bit too, because Lost often gives clues in the form of unstated allusions to source material.  Of course best of all would be knowing Damon Lindelof and certain conversations and experiences we shared over the years before Lost, but at least you have me.

As you watch Lost, remember the object is to figure out, what's really going on here?  What do these people know that we aren't told explicitly?  Who are they, really?

When you "get" the allusions and see the discrepancies between what seems to be happening and what you can infer is actually happening, if you're like me you'll LOL.  So Lost is really a dark comedy.

It starts with the very beginning.  You'll see what appears to be the scene of an airplane wreck with survivors.  But is it really?  Look critically at the evidence.
Thank you for elaborating on that. I must admit, I'm curious...…    next time I'm down with a cold I'll check it out. I don't get sick very often but when I do, I've got 8-12 days of time to kill.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
Thank you for elaborating on that. I must admit, I'm curious...…    next time I'm down with a cold I'll check it out. I don't get sick very often but when I do, I've got 8-12 days of time to kill.
If you want to spoil your sleuthing, see here.  I'm overdue for another installment.  But if you'd rather have the fun of solving it yourself with just the hints from upthread, don't look.  However, I will say that as far as I can tell, nobody else in the world has even gotten close to the solution.  I don't have every detail nailed down myself, but most of it.

There's more to it than is in "Get" Lost anyway, related to what'd passed between me and Damon -- mostly from me to him.  It's like he conceived Lost in answer to me -- but also as a way to wink back at Alan Moore.

See if you can also get the complete Department S (2 seasons) on video for when you catch that cold.  I could steer you to particular episodes that were pretty clearly source material for Lost (more or less heavily referenced), but it's a damn good detective show most of whose episodes are worthwhile viewing regardless.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
To anybody who [cares and] thinks Lost was pretty much about what it appeared as -- a sci-fi/fantasy adventure tale with some mistakes that made it inconsistent -- I can ask questions to challenge that belief.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
@BartEllProducer Hey Shitass! Made ya look!

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »

I knew it was coming. That cracked me up!
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 06:48:01 PM »
I don't get it.

Anyway, I see someone (actually more than one poster, I think) has the complete 1932 Universal serial of The Lost Special up on YouTube; it's public domain.  The version I see there is at least as good as the Red Ball DVDs I have of it.  It's essential background viewing to understand Lost.  The name similarity is no coincidence.

If you've seen Lost, chances are good you'll crack up laughing at some of the scenes of this.  If you watch this first, you'll crack up at some of the scenes of Lost.  Like for instance when they look at the Black Rock and conclude it must've been there a long time because it's overgrown.  Or Boone's knife-and-rope torture.  Or the scene of Claire's supposed car wreck.  Or, we don't know why the previous occupants built this room that can be flooded.  Or Jack's, "We're going to have to lie."

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
I don't get it.

You’re not from around here, are ya pilgrim?
Are we having fun yet?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
Yesterday at a friend's barbecue I met a second cousing of Michael Giacchino, who did the music for Lost.  Actually I think I might've met this person courtesy of my friend previously, but I hadn't realized his last name was Giacchino.  He told me of a time he mistakenly got a big deposit into his bank account for a Giacchino, had trouble convincing the bank he wasn't the right Giacchino, and only later, after convincing them to reverse the transfer, found out that that Giacchino was rich.

Unfortunately he's not in contact with the composer-conductor, so he's not a useful channel by which to pass along word that I recognized in Giacchino's Lost stuff the source material he was parodying or at least alluding to.  Yes, the clues on Lost even included the music.  I remember offhand its quoting from the Department S and The Lost Special main themes.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
@Robert Two days before my flight to New Jersey I decided to watch the first episode. I had completely forgot that they end up on the island DUE TO A PLANE CRASH. I did NOT need to see that at that particular time. Hazlet/Keyport was beautiful. Extremely humid :o But great!

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »
@Robert Two days before my flight to New Jersey I decided to watch the first episode. I had completely forgot that they end up on the island DUE TO A PLANE CRASH. I did NOT need to see that at that particular time.
Even worse when you realize that there were no survivors from the actual plane crash -- the one whose wreck was on the ocean floor.
Hazlet/Keyport was beautiful. Extremely humid :o But great!
Was that for that punching bag convention?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Was that for that punching bag convention?
Yes it was. I ended up not renting a car and took the NJ Transit train from Newark Liberty down to Hazlet.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
I really should get in another entry at the "Get" Lost files before 2020, but in the meantime I'll note that I only recently learned of the allusions by the show to Strangers on a Train, making it at least the third Hitchcock reference I've seen on Lost, the others being to Psycho and North by Northwest.  This one clue drives me to the conclusion that the "baby Thunderdome" plot on Lost was a separate caper from the channel-to-Alvar-Hanso one, and that the parties interested in the respective swindles therein traded help with each other's.  I still don't understand what the baby Thunderdome's stakes were, and I don't know fully how the pipeline-to-Hanso scam was to be pulled off, but at least now I get how they could both have involved some of the same principals.