Author Topic: Old & Unique Spoons  (Read 2237 times)

Caith

• KMST
Old & Unique Spoons
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
I found these spoons in layers of cotton, contained in box with s souvenir spoon that I purchased years ago.  I have researched over the years and know they were made by a company named Norne. They are solid silver and hallmarked. Each spoon is thinly gold plated with enamel inlays on the handle. Their size is small and close to the size of an infant's feeding spoon. I've not been able to find anything like them online. I thought  they might have been used for caviar but read that caviar wouldn't be served using metal. I would appreciate any information anyone might have. The picture I've attached shows them beside a normal teaspoon.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: Old & Unique Spoons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Congrats, you got a folder up!

Now as to those spoons - I uploaded your pic to google images but couldn't find an immediate match, however these are some sort of demitasse spoon, most likely for a sugar cube?

Google was more helpful when I searched for Norne enameled spoons, as something very close came up here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/336621-past-few-weeks.html

Even though they're not in the best shape these spoons are stunning. The gilding is wearing off a bit, but the enamel just glows. Unfortunately the purple one has a bit of enamel missing, and I think teaspoon sets usually have six, so one is missing. Made by Norne, a Norweigan maker. Don't know much else about them.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

But this is a might closer to yours:

https://picclick.com/Norne-Norwegian-Sterling-Green-Enamel-Demitasse-Spoon-382585996990.html

Norne Norwegian Sterling & Green Enamel Demitasse Spoon
$15.00 This is a beautiful Norne Norwegian sterling and green enamel demitasse spoon. It is 3 1/4" long. It is in good used condition.

I know value seems low, but spoons are indeed collectible, though I'd hang onto these for the quaintness of them. Collectible spoons used to be prevalent at major tourist attractions as a souvenir, and many have even higher values if they're old enough and in fine condition.

One word of advice - DO NOT OVER CLEAN or DIP THEM!

Literally you will destroy patina and value.

A quality silver cleaning soft cloth would all you need. To keep the finish from going again, wrap in a quality felt silver storage sleeve to prevent tarnish.

Thanks for sharing, these are way cool. :)

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I like rusty spoons.

Caith

• KMST
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »
Congrats, you got a folder up!

Now as to those spoons - I uploaded your pic to google images but couldn't find an immediate match, however these are some sort of demitasse spoon, most likely for a sugar cube?

Google was more helpful when I searched for Norne enameled spoons, as something very close came up here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/336621-past-few-weeks.html

Even though they're not in the best shape these spoons are stunning. The gilding is wearing off a bit, but the enamel just glows. Unfortunately the purple one has a bit of enamel missing, and I think teaspoon sets usually have six, so one is missing. Made by Norne, a Norweigan maker. Don't know much else about them.

But this is a might closer to yours:

https://picclick.com/Norne-Norwegian-Sterling-Green-Enamel-Demitasse-Spoon-382585996990.html

Norne Norwegian Sterling & Green Enamel Demitasse Spoon
$15.00 This is a beautiful Norne Norwegian sterling and green enamel demitasse spoon. It is 3 1/4" long. It is in good used condition.

I know value seems low, but spoons are indeed collectible, though I'd hang onto these for the quaintness of them. Collectible spoons used to be prevalent at major tourist attractions as a souvenir, and many have even higher values if they're old enough and in fine condition.

One word of advice - DO NOT OVER CLEAN or DIP THEM!

Literally you will destroy patina and value.

A quality silver cleaning soft cloth would all you need. To keep the finish from going again, wrap in a quality felt silver storage sleeve to prevent tarnish.

Thanks for sharing, these are way cool. :)
HI 26, I had quite the time figuring this out then decided to put it in another thread and delete this one and couldn't delete....and just like this poorly constructed, run on sentence it's here but not my best job! I actually thought it was gone but when I took another look, voila,  here it is. I do love my tiny useless spoons, though, so all is well.  ;)
Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:03:48 AM »
Small collectibles are the best, just because you never have to justify where or how you keep them.

That said, I bet these would look dandy framed and hanging on a wall.