Author Topic: The Other Side of Midnight with Richard C. Hoagland  (Read 66296 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The Other Side of Midnight with Richard C. Hoagland
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
I truly have tried to listen but I can't bring myself to do so.  I have a fond remembrance of the halcyon days of Hoagie, and of course the braaps.  The moments of clarity where Hoagie would be in Dick Cavitt mode.  What's it like now?  It's been so long I can't imagine anything but being but him being a douche.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
I truly have tried to listen but I can't bring myself to do so.  I have a fond remembrance of the halcyon days of Hoagie, and of course the braaps.  The moments of clarity where Hoagie would be in Dick Cavitt mode.  What's it like now?  It's been so long I can't imagine anything but being but him being a douche.
I don't think so much a douche as he's just completely hyperfocused on one theory one minute and on to another thing the next and all over the board these days. He seems to have a master plan that only makes sense in his world. There are still moments of comic relief like the cricket the other night that was louder than anything else on the show. I think the main thing his show has been suffering from is the overall quality of his guests which seem to be more of an extension of the "bridge crew" on most nights. So basically Hoagie like always, just on a low ebb.

zeebo

• KDWN
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2018, 06:43:27 PM »

In the early days we were swayed by, for the first time after years of guest spots, Full Strength Hoagie.  It was varied, it was wild, it was occasionally actually insightful.  But what I've found is with enough listening it becomes like a tape loop, with the same themes, theories, and cognitive blind spots repeating in slightly different ways. 

I usually listen to about 0-2 shows per month, which I think should be the recommended amount.  I did catch a surprisingly good show on Tabby's Star recently.  And on another nite I was pleased to hear some classic Martian arcology talk (he was a bit douchy in that one, lecturing his guest on how to analyze the guy's own photos).  A couple three others I tried were unlistenable hyperdimensional symbolism stuff.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »
In the early days we were swayed by, for the first time after years of guest spots, Full Strength Hoagie.  It was varied, it was wild, it was occasionally actually insightful.  But what I've found is with enough listening it becomes like a tape loop, with the same themes, theories, and cognitive blind spots repeating in slightly different ways. 

I usually listen to about 0-2 shows per month, which I think should be the recommended amount.  I did catch a surprisingly good show on Tabby's Star recently.  And on another nite I was pleased to hear some classic Martian arcology talk (he was a bit douchy in that one, lecturing his guest on how to analyze the guy's own photos).  A couple three others I tried were unlistenable hyperdimensional symbolism stuff.
19.5 mr squirrel, nineteen point five .
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

crankshaft

• KDWN
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
What? Only a couple three posts on the RCH thread over the past 19.5 days?

What gives?

There is only one logical conclusion to be drawn from this unfortunate sequence of events:

"He's winding down, folks, RCH's winding down...I don't anticipate he'll do many more shows."

You heard it here first.

Fearlessjay

• KIDD
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Still doing more then Heather.

yoursongs

• Drone Pilot
  • Coined "WhiskeySourVara" Some Kind of Druid Dude
    • Your Songs Collectibles
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
This is in regards to last weekends Michael Lee Hill show:

No disrespect to anyone, but RCH might have asked a few more questions about why this guy think's he is Eric Clapton's son.  He admitted to no DNA test or proof, other than his mother told him so.  He did mention that his mother met Eric at a Cream show.  Cream disbanded in 1968.  ML Hill was born in 1972 or thereabouts.  There is no evidence that I can find that EC acknowledges Mr. Hill as his son.  The only reason this matters is to the credibility of the guest, which in my opinion is very questionable.

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2018, 11:19:50 PM »
Hoagie's awesome, the batshit crazier he and his guests get the better, it is like tuning into Dick Cavett on PBS in the 70s while on acid.
There's nothing a guest could bring to the show that Hoagie won't get totally behind because he has the unique ability to make anything part of 'the model!' There are no bounds to his beliefs, he has a 'science' of his own invention that makes everything that exists, has existed, everything that happens, has happened evidence of or a result of his crazy Theory of Everything.

Tonight I've learned the Statue of Liberty often called 'Lady Liberty', is a cross dressing man, Midras, an ancient Persian god who became the subject of a major cult around the Middle East, Mediterranean and Roman Empire.  Somehow Hoagie and his guest are weaving this Midras mythology into the recent harrowing news story that gripped the world of the 12 Thai boys and their coach trapped in a cave and the attempts to rescue them.

Here's one Hoagie Highlight from that discussion 'OH MY GOD! 12 boys times 2 plus the 25 year old coach, 25, rescued with 174 days left in the year! 1 plus 7 plus 4 what do you get? 12!  Folks this isn't numerology (um, yes it is you kook), it's the resonance of the torsion field!'

'When all you have is a hammer every problem is a nail', Hoagie's hammer is this unfalsifiable 'torsion field physics' he's invented. 

I find Hoagie to be as relaxing as alcohol or any sedating medication. Not weed, weed does not relax me at all, agitates me.

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2018, 11:31:46 PM »

Love how his shameless mind works. Now he's suggesting evil motivation on the 25 year old coach to lure the boys into the cave - Hoagie says the guy is stateless, something of a cypher, what's he doing leading boys into a cave while it's raining when everybody knows you don't do that!?!

This prompted a classic exchange with Kynthea, she defended the coach in a maternal way 'Oh come on, he's 25, a kid himself!' To which Hoagie exclaims 'Oh for gosh sakes I was 23 and advising Walter Cronkite about the space program!'

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »

How long until this unspeakable tragedy in Missouri where almost an entire family drowned when a tourist duck boat capsized becomes fodder for Hoagland and company's insane beliefs? Not long I bet.

Right now he's debating himself as to the nature of 'the force' of the torsion field, whether humans, this powerful secret cabal he constantly refers to are free agents or they are just doing what the force dictates they do.  Who are the gods? They are 'the force'? Or are they creations of 'the force'? Or the god created 'the force'?  He's all over the place.

zeebo

• KDWN
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2018, 12:47:14 AM »
Love how his shameless mind works. Now he's suggesting evil motivation on the 25 year old coach to lure the boys into the cave - Hoagie says the guy is stateless, something of a cypher, what's he doing leading boys into a cave while it's raining when everybody knows you don't do that!?!

This prompted a classic exchange with Kynthea, she defended the coach in a maternal way 'Oh come on, he's 25, a kid himself!' To which Hoagie exclaims 'Oh for gosh sakes I was 23 and advising Walter Cronkite about the space program!'

LOL I missed the show, but thanks for some classic Hoagie contextualizing. He had already transcended the model by age 23!

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2018, 01:51:08 AM »

oh here's something new I've noticed the last few shows, as the show ends that automated English female voice gives the host a countdown how many seconds are left in the broadcast and then it's over, dead silence. Well unbeknownst to Hoagie and his guests the broadcast continues for about 30 seconds after Hoagie says 'We're clear!'. So you get to hear them congratulating themselves on the show, tonight the main guest Gregory was pumped, 'WOW THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!', then the two women Kynthea and Georgia comment on how much fun it was, finally the last voice, Hoagie, gobsmacked 'OH MY GOD GREGORY ACTUALLY BELIEVES IN THE ANCIENT GODS HAHAHA!' Then it went dead, I wanted to hear Gregory respond to Hoagie mocking his irrational belief in Midras among others, as if Hoagie's beliefs are any less nuts.

crankshaft

• KDWN
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2018, 08:47:31 PM »
Will RCH manage to pull off two shows in a row?

Enquiring minds and all that etc...

crankshaft

• KDWN
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
oh here's something new I've noticed the last few shows, as the show ends that automated English female voice gives the host a countdown how many seconds are left in the broadcast and then it's over, dead silence. Well unbeknownst to Hoagie and his guests the broadcast continues for about 30 seconds after Hoagie says 'We're clear!'. So you get to hear them congratulating themselves on the show, tonight the main guest Gregory was pumped, 'WOW THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!', then the two women Kynthea and Georgia comment on how much fun it was, finally the last voice, Hoagie, gobsmacked 'OH MY GOD GREGORY ACTUALLY BELIEVES IN THE ANCIENT GODS HAHAHA!' Then it went dead, I wanted to hear Gregory respond to Hoagie mocking his irrational belief in Midras among others, as if Hoagie's beliefs are any less nuts.

You are onto something here...

If RCH were smart, he'd salt his shows with braaps and liberally sprinkle easter eggs such as what you outline above throughout. He would have tastefull smatterings of dead air along with technical difficulties.

He would sell RCH bingo cards and maybe a few board games. He could sell advert endorsments for an exclusive alcoholic beverage for the official 'RCH drinking game', and sell advert concessions to 'get the tee dought com' and zippah sleep apnea remedies. He could become a household name. But NO.

NO!

RCH is not smart.

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »

meh - a Spence history lesson show, he's a terrible guest for Hoagie because he's got no conspiracy theories and Hoagie somehow does manage to restrain himself and does a pretty straight boring interview - he knows if he brings up any of his cockamamie theories Spence will just dismiss it politely and move on with the history lesson.

Hoagie feeds off his fellow wackjob guests like last weekend with the insane dude who claimed he is Eric Clapton's bastard son, when he's got a room full of them he's in his element, they become like jazz musicians improvising off each other in 'can you top this?' mode. Complete buzzkill for these people when somebody who has a college education enters the room, ruins all the fun of playing pretend scientists.