Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41792 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2019, 09:20:37 AM »
Hehe  depending on how many doorways there are to prep, that saw most often sets off the nearest smoke detector as I always forget to tell my customer that it may happen so it usually scares the crap out of us as I mentally facepalm myself for not remembering about the beeping bastard. Damn they're loud sometimes

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...

Is it the sound or the smoking baseboard wood?

I've had similar Sawzall results, must change blade more often...meanwhile, honor my Hilte!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
Is it the sound or the smoking baseboard wood?

I've had similar Sawzall results, must change blade more often...meanwhile, honor my Hilte!

No baseboards, door jambs. It creates a very warm smoky dust cloud when used in tight spaces like a narrow hallway where smoke detectors can usually be found. And of course hallways are where the doorways are.

#dustmask

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
No baseboards, door jambs. It creates a very warm smoky dust cloud when used in tight spaces like a narrow hallway where smoke detectors can usually be found. And of course hallways are where the doorways are.

#dustmask

Doors are a mother if they're laminate or solid wood, but a disaster if they're hollow core. Learned that once the very hard way. Masking tape alert!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
Doors are a mother if they're laminate or solid wood, but a disaster if they're hollow core. Learned that once the very hard way. Masking tape alert!
The regular blades for my saw cost $60. ish  and if there are nails in the bottom where the door frame meets the floor boards the sparks fly and I cuss under the sound of the saw as I know the life of a brand new blade has just been shortened. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

MaxPower, let's see those new floors

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
The regular blades for my saw cost $60. ish  and if there are nails in the bottom where the door frame meets the floor boards the sparks fly and I cuss under the sound of the saw as I know the life of a brand new blade has just been shortened. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

;)

Beeping &$!# nails!

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2019, 07:14:08 AM »
MaxPower, let's see those new floors
It's been a very busy couple of weeks. The floors have been installed and completed and I am finishing up painting all of the interior woodwork and some minor remodeling and rearranging. And of course, that always takes more time than anticipated as things to do are added along the way such as some new light fixtures wife finds at Lowes on sale :)

The flooring installers took an extra day and a half to finish (and that's ok, as I am more interested in doing it right that doing it fast). Things are slowly getting back to normal and we are taking this opportunity to go through years of accumulating stuff and donating where possible or throwing out unneeded items.

If I were to do a whole house flooring project again, one thing I would probably do is to rent one of the storage pods and move everything (or at least half the house furniture and other items) into the storage pod. We ran out of space to put things temporarily. It was a real frog show. The installers however were great about moving things around from room to room.

Here is one photo of the hallway (right after the flooring was installed but BEFORE the woodwork was painted).

MORE photos to come as rooms are completed and put back together...

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
It's been a very busy couple of weeks. The floors have been installed and completed and I am finishing up painting all of the interior woodwork and some minor remodeling and rearranging. And of course, that always takes more time than anticipated as things to do are added along the way such as some new light fixtures wife finds at Lowes on sale :)

The flooring installers took an extra day and a half to finish (and that's ok, as I am more interested in doing it right that doing it fast). Things are slowly getting back to normal and we are taking this opportunity to go through years of accumulating stuff and donating where possible or throwing out unneeded items.

If I were to do a whole house flooring project again, one thing I would probably do is to rent one of the storage pods and move everything (or at least half the house furniture and other items) into the storage pod. We ran out of space to put things temporarily. It was a real frog show. The installers however were great about moving things around from room to room.

Here is one photo of the hallway (right after the flooring was installed but BEFORE the woodwork was painted).

+1 for in-progress pics, few will share anything but the ned result. I do like the barn wood finish. So apparently this is an engineered wood, what name or finish does it go by?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
+1 for in-progress pics, few will share anything but the ned result. I do like the barn wood finish. So apparently this is an engineered wood, what name or finish does it go by?
It is Marquis Industries Williamsburg Timberland. We looked at quite a few samples and this one goes with most of the other furniture and we liked the variations in it. Such a big change from carpet. It gives the whole house a brand new look.

Here is another work in progress photo of the desk I am redoing and modifying (the desk top is upside down in the photo). All of the shelves and cabinets in the background had to come down and be moved as this was one of the rooms I painted. It's not that disorganized usually :) but had to get things hooked up temporarily so internet, security cameras, tv, would work. I don't like the disorganization but it's only temporary...

[attachment[/attachment]

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
It is Marquis Industries Williamsburg Timberland. We looked at quite a few samples and this one goes with most of the other furniture and we liked the variations in it. Such a big change from carpet. It gives the whole house a brand new look.

Here is another work in progress photo of the desk I am redoing and modifying (the desk top is upside down in the photo). All of the shelves and cabinets in the background had to come down and be moved as this was one of the rooms I painted. It's not that disorganized usually :) but had to get things hooked up temporarily so internet, security cameras, tv, would work. I don't like the disorganization but it's only temporary...

I hear you, lack of order is quite frustrating, but you do what you have to. Oh those Danish modern metal pin connectors, aren't they a thrill to sort out and lock in? I can remember assembling one desk almost completely backward to the half way point before the inevitable face-palm. ::)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »
I hear you, lack of order is quite frustrating, but you do what you have to. Oh those Danish modern metal pin connectors, aren't they a thrill to sort out and lock in? I can remember assembling one desk almost completely backward to the half way point before the inevitable face-palm. ::)

Very familiar with those metal pin connectors :) I will also add that one new furniture item I just put together was from IKEA and I am very impressed with their quality and price. We had a new IKEA store open last year here (huge store), and this was the first item I have assembled from them. All the pieces fit correctly and no assembly headaches.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
Very familiar with those metal pin connectors :) I will also add that one new furniture item I just put together was from IKEA and I am very impressed with their quality and price. We had a new IKEA store open last year here (huge store), and this was the first item I have assembled from them. All the pieces fit correctly and no assembly headaches.

I'v heard pretty good things about their product. My only gripe with them is that you have to follow a path through the whole store to get to the department you want. I suppose there are shortcuts? Maybe not put on an information board like most malls do though.

Did you get a cinnamon bun?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »

Cool, Max. Looks nice. And it sounds like you had some nice installers in, a lot of guys will not move furniture around or they will bill you for it when they do. I draw the line at major appliances and moving thingSSS from one floor to another but I try and cover all that before installation date has even been set. This way there are no surprises for anybody, no awkward moments.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
Cool, Max. Looks nice. And it sounds like you had some nice installers in, a lot of guys will not move furniture around or they will bill you for it when they do. I draw the line at major appliances and moving thingSSS from one floor to another but I try and cover all that before installation date has even been set. This way there are no surprises for anybody, no awkward moments.
They were easy to work with and were pretty close to the estimate of how much flooring would be needed, ending up with about a half box left over. I am going to get another box to keep for any future use.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
I'v heard pretty good things about their product. My only gripe with them is that you have to follow a path through the whole store to get to the department you want. I suppose there are shortcuts? Maybe not put on an information board like most malls do though.

Did you get a cinnamon bun?

The IKEA store does have shortcuts and they are mapped out and labeled. The first time there, we did stop at the café. Didn't notice the cinnamon buns :( but did try their famous Swedish meatballs :) Next time I go, I will check out those cinnamon buns.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »
The IKEA store does have shortcuts and they are mapped out and labeled. The first time there, we did stop at the café. Didn't notice the cinnamon buns :( but did try their famous Swedish meatballs :) Next time I go, I will check out those cinnamon buns.

And they sell good brands of herring and also sauce to make good gravy for meat balls etc at home. @K_Dubb would likely strike me for using pre-made Norskie gravy, or any gravy, packets and not making from scratch.

Re: IKEA and some others I'm torn. On the one hand it is nice, for sake of handling/processing errors, including "extra" connectors, screws, etc is good but also can perplex a person after assembly when you have left over parts. "Did I miss something?" and second guessing.