Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 816208 times)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #3480 on: September 12, 2020, 11:39:23 PM »
(And this is where you might hate me)
It’s obviously a ploy by Dole so they don’t have to acknowledge that their founders cousin led the coup to get rid of Hawaiis queen because she supported all of her people voting and not just the rich ones of certain ethnic groups. :)

I'm learning a ton this evening!
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3481 on: September 13, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »
I loved that area. Telegraph Ave was a treat. I'd just go there on my own in my lovely 68 mustang. I'd walk all the way down telegraph until there were no people selling stuff, then walk all the way back...

I don't think I ever bought anything from the street vendors - I'm actually a poor consumer.  Did you like the homemade jewelry? The henna tattooing, the tie-die t-shirts?  I met one girl, in town for a free Grateful Dead show, selling magic wands - they were actually pretty cool looking.  I almost bought a didgeridoo once.

Living within walking distance, I spent a lot of time in the used book stores and record shops.  I don't even know how many slices of Blondie's pizza I've eaten.  There were tons of nooks and crannies along there and just off on the side streets - Manuel's Mexican place for underage drinking, the basement at Blake's for pool and local garage rock, the basement at Leonard's Record's for foreign and other hard to find movie rentals, upstairs at Kip's for, well, all I ever got was a horrible pizza (turns out it's not that hard to make really lousy pizza, who knew?), the commie bookstore for free local kook posters for my collection, the place across from them with international newspapers and magazines, the Lhasa Karnak Herb Company, Shambala Books, the place selling bronze deities and other great stuff from India...  All long gone.  Well, except for the commie bookstore.

I'd usually go to the outdoor coffee shop up the street, across from the law school, but I'd go to Caffè Mediterraneum if it was raining - it always seemed like a place revolutions were being hatched..

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias The Hawk
« Reply #3482 on: September 13, 2020, 01:45:20 AM »
I don't think I ever bought anything from the street vendors - I'm actually a poor consumer.  Did you like the homemade jewelry? The henna tattooing, the tie-die t-shirts?  I met one girl, in town for a free Grateful Dead show, selling magic wands - they were actually pretty cool looking.  I almost bought a didgeridoo once.

Living within walking distance, I spent a lot of time in the used book stores and record shops.  I don't even know how many slices of Blondie's pizza I've eaten.  There were tons of nooks and crannies along there and just off on the side streets - Manuel's Mexican place for underage drinking, the basement at Blake's for pool and local garage rock, the basement at Leonard's Record's for foreign and other hard to find movie rentals, upstairs at Kip's for, well, all I ever got was a horrible pizza (turns out it's not that hard to make really lousy pizza, who knew?), the commie bookstore for free local kook posters for my collection, the place across from them with international newspapers and magazines, the Lhasa Karnak Herb Company, Shambala Books, the place selling bronze deities and other great stuff from India...  All long gone.  Well, except for the commie bookstore.

I'd usually go to the outdoor coffee shop up the street, across from the law school, but I'd go to Caffè Mediterraneum if it was raining - it always seemed like a place revolutions were being hatched..

I think you have the makings for a top notch novel there, PB.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3483 on: September 13, 2020, 04:24:19 AM »

I'm with ya. @Rikki Gins  I don't even know where those places are but I can imagine the scene.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3484 on: September 13, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »

I loved the homemade jewelry. Bought a few things each time. Last time I went though, it had changed as you said and I didn't like the vendor's jewelry. It was not metal or leather, just junky stuff. I've gotten bags, holograms, books, all sorts of stuff.

I didn't recall the name of the pizza place, but a stop there was necessary. Going into the used book shops was also a favorite. Yes, I remember an Herb Company and the India place. It was a great way to spend a day. It had to be fun living so close.

What is there now?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3485 on: September 13, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
I'm with ya. @Rikki Gins  I don't even know where those places are but I can imagine the scene.

Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley CA, my adopted home town

It's a direct route from downtown Oakland to Berkeley, and comes to an end at the main entrance of Cal Berkeley.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3486 on: September 13, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »
... I didn't recall the name of the pizza place, but a stop there was necessary...

Had to be Blondie's

... Going into the used book shops...

Shakespeare's is gone, Moe's still abides.  God I have a lot of books from those two places.

... What is there now?

At Caffe Med?  I don't even know, it's been gone so long now.  Plus I don't have much of a reason to even go to Telegraph anymore.  Got to be a headshop/tattoo place, nail salon, or some gooey snack place.  Maybe that's where the store where everything is from Japan and costs $1.50 is (oh shit, I should have gone there when I needed a new mouse pad).

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3487 on: September 13, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »

Speaking of top notch novels...

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas… with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers… and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can...

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #3488 on: September 13, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3489 on: September 14, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »
Took V. out to a job site yesterday for a few hours so I brought her bed and put it on this mobile water unit.

I suspect she thinks she's The Sphynx up there.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3490 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
Took V. out to a job site yesterday for a few hours so I brought her bed and put it on this mobile water unit.

1+. Please give it to Vera.
 ;)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #3491 on: September 14, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »

“Answer my riddle in order to pass.
...or just give me treats.”
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3492 on: September 14, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
“Answer my riddle in order to pass.
...or just give me treats.”

Pretty good taxidermy on that dead dog.

Jayzelady

• Ellevated
  • Just another day in Falkieland.
« Reply #3493 on: September 14, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »

She’s probably wondering “what are those stupid humans doing working when they could just lay here like me and look pretty?”

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3494 on: September 14, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
Pretty good taxidermy on that dead dog.

It was untrue