Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 810912 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #3225 on: July 04, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
First off, there was a time that the Jay Geils band was better than the Stones...  No foul there.

Secondly...  Could she have been Klingon?

Well, maybe, but concerts in huge coliseums, arenas, and domed stadiums aren't really conducive to the music itself, it's about the band and the ''show''.  The sound quality is uniformly terrible.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #3226 on: July 04, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »
Well, maybe, but concerts in huge coliseums, arenas, and domed stadiums aren't really conducive to the music itself, it's about the band and the ''show''.  The sound quality is uniformly terrible.

The Grateful Dead's attempt at improving concert audio was somewhat successful, I mean there's tons of technology out there that did what they invented...  I'm sure somebody else could speak rather in-depth about it ( @Bart Ell ) . They used frequency based time delays (time alignment?) factored on distances and all sorts of good stuff.

Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3227 on: July 04, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
I've been doing some yard work projects today and ran out of my light duty alcoholic beverages...  I ended up drinking some hefeweizen and, now, I don't think I'm going to be doing any more yard work today.  I love this stuff but not on an empty stomach...
Eh, nevermind...

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #3228 on: July 04, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
The Grateful Dead's attempt at improving concert audio was somewhat successful, I mean there's tons of technology out there that did what they invented...  I'm sure somebody else could speak rather in-depth about it ( @Bart Ell ) . They used frequency based time delays (time alignment?) factored on distances and all sorts of good stuff psychedelic drugs.

FIFY

If you listen to most of their live concerts the instrumentals aren’t bad but they were in serious need of AutoTune.  Or a bucket because half the time they couldn’t carry a tune and were flat and nasal as fuck.  Pisses me off when I listen to the Dead channel on XM.
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3229 on: July 04, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
The Grateful Dead's attempt at improving concert audio was somewhat successful, I mean there's tons of technology out there that did what they invented...  I'm sure somebody else could speak rather in-depth about it ( @Bart Ell ) . They used frequency based time delays (time alignment?) factored on distances and all sorts of good stuff.

I don't even remember the last time I went to a show at a sports arena or coliseum.  Now that I think about it, for the past 20 years or so it's always been music specific venues.  Even at that, the sound at some is better than others (a few are downright awful - I'm talking about you, Mystic Theatre in Petaluma, no matter where one stands or sits the distortion is overwhelming). 

For the smaller to medium sized clubs, depending on the band I either end up near the front, or find the sweet spot - there is no way the sound is ever equally good - or even close - all over the building. 

I'm not a techie in any sense, but I do have very sensitive hearing.  I'm convinced most people don't really pay attention to sound quality or understand it (and PS, same with food and taste buds)

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3230 on: July 04, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
FIFY

If you listen to most of their live concerts the instrumentals aren’t bad but they were in serious need of AutoTune.  Or a bucket because half the time they couldn’t carry a tune and were flat and nasal as fuck.  Pisses me off when I listen to the Dead channel on XM.

I loved seeing them live, but I can't listen to most of their recorded material - studio or live.  It's just not the same, just doesn't capture the spirit.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3231 on: July 04, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »

I don't even remember the last time I went to a show at a sports arena or coliseum.  Now that I think about it, for the past 20 years or so it's always been music specific venues.  Even at that, the sound at some is better than others (a few are downright awful (I'm talking about you, Mystic Theatre in Petaluma, no matter where one stands or sits the distortion is overwhelming)). 

For the smaller to medium sized clubs, depending on the band I either end up near the front, or find the sweet spot - there is no way the sound is ever equally good - or even close - all over the building. 

I'm not a techie in any sense, but I do have good hearing.  I'm convinced people don't really pay attention to sound quality or understand it (and PS, same with food and taste buds)

The club attached to the HOB at Downtown Disneyland had a soundgirl who... Uh, nevermind... Well... She sucked and I don't mean in a pleasing way...  At the club...  Not her daytime gig, I shall say no more..
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3232 on: July 04, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo set new hot dog eating contest records today. 

Meanwhile the pampered corporate athletes are home sheltering in place

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29409589/joey-chestnut-75-miki-sudo-485-retain-nathan-famous-hot-dog-eating-contest-titles 

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3233 on: July 04, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo set new hot dog eating contest records today. 

Meanwhile the pampered corporate athletes are home sheltering in place

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29409589/joey-chestnut-75-miki-sudo-485-retain-nathan-famous-hot-dog-eating-contest-titles 

The left has been trying to undermine sports for a long time.

This may be the beginning of the end. 

Who has the most to lose? Those who get scholarships and tons of money (and hold support jobs for the sport) are hurt.
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3234 on: July 04, 2020, 03:00:08 PM »
The left has been trying to undermine sports for a long time.

This may be the beginning of the end. 

Who has the most to lose? Those who get scholarships and tons of money (and hold support jobs for the sport) are hurt.

The way they rip off, insult, and abuse fans, they should have folded decades ago

The fans should own the teams, like Green Bay.  Perhaps local teams should get first shot at local players, and have to have a certain number of local players on the roster

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3235 on: July 04, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
An old random memory popped into my head.

Years ago, I had a friend who was cracked over the head with a pipe...  If it weren't for the heavy use of hair extensions, the injury might have been worse...  The hair extensions added a carpet-like covering to the scalp.

Vanity had a practical use in that case...

Drugs, old people and rock and roll... Meh.
Eh, nevermind...

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #3236 on: July 05, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
I've been doing some yard work projects today and ran out of my light duty alcoholic beverages...  I ended up drinking some hefeweizen and, now, I don't think I'm going to be doing any more yard work today.  I love this stuff but not on an empty stomach...
Come on @sean92008 - Hefe is like 5.3 - 5.5 ABV.  ::) Drink some water and move on with the day.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3237 on: July 05, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »
Come on @sean92008 - Hefe is like 5.3 - 5.5 ABV.  ::) Drink some water and move on with the day.

5.5 (I think) BUT I drank it like water...

I don't even know what % the crap I regularly drink is. It switches between Rolling Rock, Bud Light and even Coors Light.  I know I can drink significantly more of that bird piss while doing stuff and not feel anything.  Hefe hit me weird.  Must not be eating enough meat lately.

I need hamburgers.
Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3238 on: July 06, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
I just discovered Doc Martin on Roku... First 5 episodes are quite intriguing...
Eh, nevermind...

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated