Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 810967 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #4275 on: February 27, 2021, 06:33:28 PM »
You fought the bear...and the bear won! Seriously. Glad that it seems like you are doing ok and hope you don't have any long term effects from it. Having your bell rung is probably the last thing you need.

From my count, this is concussion  number 37.  At least.
Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4276 on: February 27, 2021, 06:48:05 PM »
I spent last week skiing at Park City, Utah. Until Thursday sometime around 1:30. As I was cruising down a really nice run something happened. Wish I knew what. I was skiing alone at the time.  Pretty sure someone ran into me. My only memory is someone in a pale blue ski outfit helping me stand up. I don’t remember any conversation. Next thing I know I was down at the halfway point where I was supposed to meet the two ladies I was skiing with for lunch. When they saw me my helmet and gloves were on the ground and I was searching for my phone. Which I never did find. About 20 minutes of lost time. I sat down for a few hours while I tried to remember what happened and took inventory of what hurt. Since I obviously had a concussion and my ribs and back really hurt, I waited as long as I could before I skied to the bottom.

At the bottom I went to lost and found to see if someone turned in my iPhone. No luck, but they did convince me to let them call an ambulance. Spent the next 5-6 hours in an ER. CT scans showed 3 compression fractures to Thorasic vertebrae but no broken ribs and no brain bleeds. They fitted me for a rather expensive looking back brace and sent me on my way. I flew back home yesterday in the back brace which was strategically placed to aggravate all the places my ribs hurt.

I had set my phone to airplane mode right before I skied down so I can’t locate it using “Find my phone”. I hope someone finds it so I can see what happened. I was filming when I crashed. I am sure someone crashed into me from behind. I don’t fall down skiing on my own accord. And I certainly don’t get a concussion wearing a helmet.

I normally go into full blackout mode when I hit my head. That has happened several times. What is strange about this time is that I do have a glimpse of the memory of the gent in the pale blue outfit helping me get up. No memory of the crash or the rest of the run down. And the rest of that run wasn’t just an easy cruiser. Several tricky spots and several chances to take a wrong turn. I’m surprised I wound up in the exact spot where I was supposed to meet my friends. 

Today I got a new phone. Lost all my contacts and everything I had on it since April 2019. I think I might have a backup on my laptop but my laptop is up at my woods. I’m going up there Monday with hopes that I at least backed up my photos. Especially the ones from Thailand.

My back is stiff but my spine doesn’t hurt. My ribs hurt, but only when I breathe.

I hope I recover quickly. I am driving up to Colorado Friday for 3 weeks of skiing. I will not let this retire me for the season after missing most of last year due to COVID quarantines.

HOLY COW @GravitySucks !
I think you love snow and speed to much. Try not to breathe too much.  ::)
I will pray for a quick recovery for you...carry on.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #4277 on: February 27, 2021, 06:56:37 PM »
You are bound to be on video. At least in most parts of the country, there are cameras all over the place. They do that not only for security, they do it to see if an avalanche is starting, etc...

They also use the video to make sure everybody's off the slopes when they're doing maintenance or creating an intentional avalanche.
Eh, nevermind...

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4278 on: February 27, 2021, 07:14:15 PM »
HOLY COW @GravitySucks !
I think you love snow and speed to much. Try not to breathe too much.  ::)
I will pray for a quick recovery for you...carry on.

Thank you @FISH

I am 65 years old. I struggled for a few years, but have tried to stay active. This year I have gotten in really good condition and lost some weight. This is the lightest I have been during ski season probably since my junior year in high school. That’s probably why I was able to ski away.

I plan on skiing throughout my twilight years.  Except for this incident, skiing has become effortless for me. Something clicked last December while I was at Vail. That trip I skied 6 days in a row.  Without once getting winded or tired.  Wish I had discovered the secret of effortless skiing years ago. And I would share the secret if I knew for sure what it was. I think it has to do with relaxing my muscles and aligning my bones to do the work, instead of using my muscles the whole way down. It’s seems easier for me to ski than to walk. Now carrying my luggage, ski boots and skis through the airport is a different story.

Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4279 on: February 27, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »
Thank you @FISH

I am 65 years old. I struggled for a few years, but have tried to stay active. This year I have gotten in really good condition and lost some weight. This is the lightest I have been during ski season probably since my junior year in high school. That’s probably why I was able to ski away.

I plan on skiing throughout my twilight years.  Except for this incident, skiing has become effortless for me. Something clicked last December while I was at Vail. That trip I skied 6 days in a row.  Without once getting winded or tired.  Wish I had discovered the secret of effortless skiing years ago. And I would share the secret if I knew for sure what it was. I think it has to do with relaxing my muscles and aligning my bones to do the work, instead of using my muscles the whole way down. It’s seems easier for me to ski than to walk. Now carrying my luggage, ski boots and skis through the airport is a different story.

Skiing throughout your twilight years will keep you--young at heart.
@sean92008 good thinking--You are bound to be on video.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #4280 on: February 27, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Skiing throughout your twilight years will keep you--young at heart.
@sean92008 good thinking--You are bound to be on video.
But will the video show anything?  Could have been one of those stealth bears.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4281 on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »
But will the video show anything?  Could have been one of those stealth bears.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

... unidentified flying grizzlies?
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4282 on: February 27, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »
... I am sure someone crashed into me from behind...

Dang!  There are always plenty of clods on the slopes.  Hope you recover quickly (sounds like you are)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4283 on: February 27, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »
Dang!  There are always plenty of clods on the slopes.  Hope you recover quickly (sounds like you are)
...punk-assed snowboarders take after their skateboarding counterparts.  Destroy other people's shit, be selfish, etc...
Eh, nevermind...

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #4284 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »
From my count, this is concussion  number 37.  At least.

Wow, concussed 37 times. Thinking back over my life I can only boast of 2 for certains and 3 maybes.  You da man! 

Best wishes for a quick recovery. 

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #4285 on: February 27, 2021, 09:31:54 PM »
I spent last week skiing at Park City, Utah. Until Thursday sometime around 1:30. As I was cruising down a really nice run something happened. Wish I knew what. I was skiing alone at the time.  Pretty sure someone ran into me. My only memory is someone in a pale blue ski outfit helping me stand up. I don’t remember any conversation. Next thing I know I was down at the halfway point where I was supposed to meet the two ladies I was skiing with for lunch. When they saw me my helmet and gloves were on the ground and I was searching for my phone. Which I never did find. About 20 minutes of lost time. I sat down for a few hours while I tried to remember what happened and took inventory of what hurt. Since I obviously had a concussion and my ribs and back really hurt, I waited as long as I could before I skied to the bottom.

At the bottom I went to lost and found to see if someone turned in my iPhone. No luck, but they did convince me to let them call an ambulance. Spent the next 5-6 hours in an ER. CT scans showed 3 compression fractures to Thorasic vertebrae but no broken ribs and no brain bleeds. They fitted me for a rather expensive looking back brace and sent me on my way. I flew back home yesterday in the back brace which was strategically placed to aggravate all the places my ribs hurt.

I had set my phone to airplane mode right before I skied down so I can’t locate it using “Find my phone”. I hope someone finds it so I can see what happened. I was filming when I crashed. I am sure someone crashed into me from behind. I don’t fall down skiing on my own accord. And I certainly don’t get a concussion wearing a helmet.

I normally go into full blackout mode when I hit my head. That has happened several times. What is strange about this time is that I do have a glimpse of the memory of the gent in the pale blue outfit helping me get up. No memory of the crash or the rest of the run down. And the rest of that run wasn’t just an easy cruiser. Several tricky spots and several chances to take a wrong turn. I’m surprised I wound up in the exact spot where I was supposed to meet my friends. 

Today I got a new phone. Lost all my contacts and everything I had on it since April 2019. I think I might have a backup on my laptop but my laptop is up at my woods. I’m going up there Monday with hopes that I at least backed up my photos. Especially the ones from Thailand.

My back is stiff but my spine doesn’t hurt. My ribs hurt, but only when I breathe.

I hope I recover quickly. I am driving up to Colorado Friday for 3 weeks of skiing. I will not let this retire me for the season after missing most of last year due to COVID quarantines.

OH MY!
I thought you went there to relax, not get knocked about!
Take care of yourself, Mr. Man. Make sure you heal up.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4286 on: February 27, 2021, 10:59:39 PM »
Wow, concussed 37 times. Thinking back over my life I can only boast of 2 for certains and 3 maybes.  You da man! 

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

I bet there's a note in a medical file somewhere stating "CTE." I know my file has it. (I peeked.)
Eh, nevermind...

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #4287 on: February 28, 2021, 04:07:29 AM »
@GravitySucks  Wishing you a speedy recovery sir.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4288 on: February 28, 2021, 04:23:39 AM »
The ghost of the Sonny Bono tree strikes again!

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4289 on: February 28, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »
I bet there's a note in a medical file somewhere stating "CTE." I know my file has it. (I peeked.)

Yes. But I refuse to let them run the definitive tests to confirm it. Yet.
Are we having fun yet?