Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 810915 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #4470 on: March 17, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
I brought Khao Tom Pla (actually salmon and shrimp) with me frozen. Down to my last quart though. Staying in a hotel this week so no kitchen. Last week the room didn’t have a kitchen either. I’m kinda jonesing for my own cooking.  Definitely won’t be going out tomorrow night. Spring breakers on holiday and St Patrick’s Day is something I might have enjoyed 40 years ago.
Nice! Is that soup @GravitySucks ? Whenever I see the "Tom" bit I always think soup but have no idea.  :-\ Oh man, going out would be fun in the ski towns! Bad for Covid contraction, good for fun that you only remember a portion of.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #4471 on: March 17, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
I've been playing with pasta. I'm really enjoying it. Made agnolotti from left over roasts and cabbage sauté. I might try it with spinach next time. Fresh mushroom sauce one night and a simple red sauce another. I made fresh udon one night with pork. I am finding it to be really fun.

Tonight is the American St Patty's traditional: Corned Beef in Guinness with red potatoes, carrots and cabbage- and horseradish of course.  :) Oh and fresh bread. Wanna come over? The husband bought extra beer @ShayP .

This pleases me. @PolkaDot   I love it.  The use of leftovers.  I love the creativity.  Are you using Semolina for your Agnolotti?  Regardless, If I were able to come over it would happen, and your hubby would probably need more beer.  ;) ;D But of course, I would bring extra provisions.  :D

Your dinner sounds wonderful.  I'm being lazy today and having leftovers.  I was going to make corned beef but I'm in a rut and lacking passion for cooking.  I am considering getting Taco Bell.  :-\  My Irish blood will boil with self-hate!

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #4472 on: March 17, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »
This pleases me. @PolkaDot   I love it.  The use of leftovers.  I love the creativity.  Are you using Semolina for your Agnolotti?  Regardless, If I were able to come over it would happen, and your hubby would probably need more beer.  ;) ;D But of course, I would bring extra provisions.  :D

Your dinner sounds wonderful.  I'm being lazy today and having leftovers.  I was going to make corned beef but I'm in a rut and lacking passion for cooking.  I am considering getting Taco Bell.  :-\  My Irish blood will boil with self-hate!

@ShayP I'm not using semolina (honestly, if my husband sees one more type of flour in my pantry he'll have a conniption  ::) ) I used King Arthur Unbleached AP flour. For anything that calls for "00" milled I've been using pastry flour. So far, it's been working well.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4473 on: March 17, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #4474 on: March 17, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »
It probably just wasn't given the proper amount of publicity

https://nypost.com/2021/03/16/gofundme-to-pay-off-meghan-markle-and-harrys-mortgage-goes-bust/
They should ask Falkie for tips on grifting.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #4475 on: March 17, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »
Nice! Is that soup @GravitySucks ? Whenever I see the "Tom" bit I always think soup but have no idea.  :-\ Oh man, going out would be fun in the ski towns! Bad for Covid contraction, good for fun that you only remember a portion of.

@PolkaDot My last green beer or shot of Irish Whiskey was in 1992. Wouldn’t go near a bar on St Patty’s Day.

Khoa Tom is a rice porridge soup. Typically served at breakfast, usually made with ground pork. Sometimes the porridge is served on top of a raw egg, which kind of soft-boils sitting in the bowl. It has ginger, garlic, celery, green onion, chicken stock, white pepper, sugar, fish sauce, coconut oil, cilantro, Thai chili peppers and I like to add lemon grass. I also add in a spoonful of Tom Yum paste because I love the way the flavors all come together. I make big batches with chunks of fresh salmon and a type of shrimp called Red Argentinian shrimp. Has the consistency of lobster and very tasty.  I cut each shrimp up into 4 pieces.  I love this soup hot or cold. I have literally gone a week just munching on leftovers as I feel hungry. Eat a few spoonfuls of the cold soup and toss it back in the fridge.  It seems to really agree with me. I’m one of the few people I know that has lost weight during this crazy year long lockdown. Cooking lots of Thai food using fresh ingredients has kept me healthy so far.

Oh yeah. It has rice too. Day old Jasmine rice is the best.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #4476 on: March 17, 2021, 04:25:53 PM »
Sounds fun....but I wouldn't eat that. Well, except the veg. And the scotch. +1
You wouldn't eat it because your pea-brain is incapable of comprehending how special it is. Like I need a + fucking 1 ::)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4477 on: March 17, 2021, 06:47:06 PM »
Over the years I would travel to visit how others celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.
2021, I am home. My roots? Go read “Angela’s Ashes.” My family’s ham and cabbage dinner is similar to a collard greens recipe. However, I don’t use smoked ham hocks. I buy a cheap salty greasy piece of pork (butt/shoulder). The grease and salt makes the cabbage and potatoes wonderful. No reason to add a bunch of newfangled ingredients. Corned Beef and horseradish? Corned Beef is for the Hoity-toity folks. Corned beef has no grease or salt…so what good it is? 
No offense @PolkaDot

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4478 on: March 17, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
Crested Butte

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

:o

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4479 on: March 17, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »

@anniem

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #4480 on: March 17, 2021, 07:38:02 PM »
Crested Butte
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #4481 on: March 17, 2021, 07:50:04 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #4482 on: March 17, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4483 on: March 17, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »
Over the years I would travel to visit how others celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.

All this talk of St Patrick's Day, I didn't even realize it was today.

Once upon a time, it was great fun in San Francisco to gather in and around a few of the Irish bars after work, close the street, set up a band, drink a few beers, and socialize.

A young mayor soon put a stop to all that.  Oh sure, those streets continued to be closed, but now they were also cordoned off with police tape, with cops posted at the intersection to hassle and arrest anyone holding a beer.  An abrupt end to a tradition, and ensure no fun was had by anyone.  Thanks, Gavin.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #4484 on: March 17, 2021, 08:21:22 PM »
All this talk of St Patrick's Day, I didn't even realize it was today.

Once upon a time, it was great fun in San Francisco to gather in and around a few of the Irish bars after work, close the street, set up a band, drink a few beers, and socialize.

A young mayor soon put a stop to all that.  Oh sure, those streets continued to be closed, but now they were also cordoned off with police tape, with cops posted at the intersection to hassle and arrest anyone holding a beer.  An abrupt end to a tradition, and ensure no fun was had by anyone.  Thanks, Gavin.

That is damn depressing. Seriously.