Author Topic: XFL 2020  (Read 993 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
XFL 2020
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »
After I'd been coaching a few years, I could no longer watch football.  What good was it if I couldn't correct their form?  So it says a lot that I watched entire games of the XFL on YouTube live stream (Pirated?) their opening weekend.  I was curious.

The thing that impressed me most was how the combination of the dedicated ball spotter and radioing in the signals sped up the games.  I'm afraid, however, that as was found out in the inaugural season of the WLAF, if you speed up the game enough, you wind up having to simplify the offenses.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Re: XFL 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »
At first the kick offs was strange for me but as I saw it a few more times it started to grow on me a little. If they break the front line you can get some big returns and it seems like there at least run backs on almost every kick. I also like the openness of hearing the refs and the replay booth going through a play, I think that can take away a lot of frustration of "How did they come up with THAT?" You might still disagree but it does help if you hear what the refs/booth point of view of it.

I wonder how teams in LA and NY/NJ will do in attendance. I wonder if those major markets will not really accept secondary football when they have the NBA/NHL in the winter and NFL to follow. Even though I understand that every league feels like they need something in the NY and LA market for TV ratings, but I think mid-major cities who doesn't have teams in other major leagues or maybe even NFL might actually do better.

I think it's interesting that some of the motivation to start the league was over backlash of the kneeling, but a few years later it's really not a big story anymore and the NFL is doing better than ever and I don't think they even showed the anthem on TV before any of the games (I know the Saturday games I didn't see anything)

The ratings were pretty good with an average of 3.1 Million, but the real story is always week 2 and 3. Also very interesting media manipulation, XFL from 20 years ago was openly mocked by the sports community (second tier football) this time XFL is partnered much more with ESPN and Fox which have sport enterprises and their coverage is a  lot more positive

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
I thought the first games were better football than I expected.
Merry Christmas

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:40 PM »
Part of the attraction is that, with all new teams and no preseason games, nobody's good at handicapping at least the early season games.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
I'd've thought that by the 4th game they'd be easier to handicap than this!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:32:28 AM »
They just don’t have good quarterbacks. I thought the AAF last year had better. Or maybe it was because Spurrier coached the team I got to see most.
Merry Christmas

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
Is this the one where women play in their underwear?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
So, they got me watching football again, and after 5 weeks, this.  Maybe the gods are trying to tell me something.