Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 38749 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
My version of the @KSM32: Guinness battered rattlesnake and wood shavings served on a sweaty gym mat paired with a rusty bucket of single malt whiskey

LOL!!!!!! That sounds like something that actually would happen, especially where I last resided.  I'm being serious too.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
Aww. Thank you for asking, @ShayP . You are certainly on the right track. Organic and natural whole grains when I can get them. But not militant about it. Semi-vegetarian but nothing better than the occasional steak. I like different cheeses. Fish occasionally but prefer red meat or chicken. Dont like heavy sauces.

I am sure you will build me a masterpiece 💖

You'll be next @TigerLily  :)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
This one is for @juan  I wanted to utilize the things I've seen him post in the garden thread, etc.  This sandwich will be served on a Muffuletta roll.  Not the big one but something suitable. 

First we make a homemade bratwurst style sausage.  However the sausage will be in a patty form and not in a casing.  For the sausage:

(this will yield more than for one sandwich ~ it's easier to make in larger batches)

2 lb pork shoulder.  8 oz. uncut slab bacon or fatback.  Both diced and chilled before grinding.  After grinding together I add 2 eggs, 2 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp marjoram, 1 tsp caraway seeds, 2 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp ginger, 2 tsp onion powder, and a heavy pinch of salt.  Blend thoroughly and chill overnight.

Mustard greens, garlic cloves, radishes, tomatoes, and Datil peppers will be part of this.  Let's prep it.  Set aside some cleaned Mustard greens.  We will sauté them later.  Peel some garlic cloves.  3 should suffice, and place them in a pan with some olive oil and heat them on low until soft. You could put them in the oven as well.  Just looking for soft cloves that a paste can be made from.

Thinly slice a few radishes. Thinly slice a couple tomatoes, set aside. The Datil peppers will be halved and seeded.  Place the radishes in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar...just enough to cover...and refrigerate.  Now, with the peppers, I want to "candy" them in a simple syrup. They won't be sweet and will still have the heat but it's important to the taste profile.  Heat a little sugar and water (50/50) on the stove, medium heat until disolved.  Lower to simmer and place the peppers in there until the slightly soften.

Back to the garlic cloves.  Once softened remove from oil and put in a small bowll then mash into a paste.  After the peppers are slightly softened in the simple syrup remove them and add to the garlic paste.

Let's get the sausage and form a nice thick patty. That will be cooked in an iron skillet.  Or grill if you like.
Lightly sautee the mustard greens in the reserved oil from the roasted garlic cloves.

Grab the Muffuletta roll and warm it in the oven.  Do not toast.  Slice it and let's build the sandwhich.  Oh, get the radishes and remove from the vigar and water...dry them on a paper towel.  Salt and pepper the tomato slices.

Smear the garlic and Datil pepper mixture on both halves of the roll.  Place the mustard greens on the bottom.  Top with some sliced radishes.  Add the sausage patty.  Top with the tomatoes and then add more radishes on top of the tomatoes.

Press together and eat!  My thought process is the sweet earthiness of the roasted garlic combined with the heat of the peppers, accented by a slight sweetness of the simple syrup they were softened in will blend well with the salty, juicy acid of the tomatoes with S&P and the slightly pickled radishes.  The 'bite' of the radishes should go well with the greens (as will the garlic) and all of that wrapped around a mild, rich, bratwurst style patty should give a nice mellow flavor followed by lingering heat and overall flavor.  The Muffuletta roll should hold it all together nicely.

Hopefully this tickles the fancy of @juan   Or maybe someone else.  Hell...it just may suck.  Oh well.  Probably seemed a little complex with the prep but it's not.  I just rambled on with my overview...as I will do.  I even may have missed a step.   :-\

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
@ShayP  Have you actually made these? If so, who's the messiest eat?  I'll have to get to the grocery outlet to collect all my ingreds.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
My version of the @KSM32: Guinness battered rattlesnake and wood shavings served on a sweaty gym mat paired with a rusty bucket of single malt whiskey

Well at least you're issuing me single malt rather than a disgusting blend. You didn't realize you were doing me a solid, did you!!?

@TigerLily

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
LOL! Oh no no no. Ya know what? @juan  You're next.  Hope you like my creation dedicated to you.  ;)

Will mine have launch meat?
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
;D  LOL  Niiiice!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
@ShayP  Have you actually made these? If so, who's the messiest eat?  I'll have to get to the grocery outlet to collect all my ingreds.

@KSM32  I have made variations of these sandwiches.  Not necessarily exact in most cases but the ingredients, like the meat blends for the burger or sausage, veggie prep, etc...I've used those.  Not sure about the messiest eat though.  That's up to the eater.  ;)

I ran the kitchen at a Café for several years and we'd do various sandwich boards and custom lunches.  We always tried to get the food to connect with the party involved.  Not for them to say "Umm just give me 5 turkey sandwiches."  I wanted to make the food personal by quizzing them on some of their interests.  That way, at least I thought, they were involved in the process more than just placing a generic order off a menu.  I wanted it to be something they looked forward to.  I wanted it customized.  The risk of disappointment was high though.  Fortunately we had more wins than losses.  ;)

I'm doing this here to rekindle some passion and mostly have some fun.  :D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »

*sigh*  I do like you and respect you, but...*sigh*   ;) ;D

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »
Mine looks good. When are you delivering one?
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
Mine looks good. When are you delivering one?

Thanks! So you would give that a shot? Good.   Well, I could make one tomorrow then hit the road.  Probably take me 14 hours or so to get there.  ;D  Might be a little soggy upon arrival.  ;)  :P 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
I’ve seen Datil’s used in various ways but never with sugar.  Intriguing.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
I’ve seen Datil’s used in various ways but never with sugar.  Intriguing.

We used to candy Habaneros. Similar to what I did with the Datils here but we'd reduce the Habaneros until the liquid was gone.  Then we dried them.   The sugar would create a dust like appearance and the texture of the pepper was chewy, sort of like licorice.  Sweet off the bat but that heat kicked you in the ass soon after.  If we cooked them again they'd get sticky.  We'd make jam too.  So many options and lots of different ways to do it.  Made syrup too...for desserts!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
I wasted no time with @TigerLily and her sammie.  :)  Let's start with the bread.  Whole grain rectangular (or square) roll preferably with molasses as an ingredient and dusted with oats.  I am terrible at baking so these will be store bought.  I can make some mean biscuits, and Focaccia but that's my limit.  I digress...

This sandwich will be cold.  However warm the roll/bread before building it.  Chicken is the protein and I am brining it before it is baked.  It's a 1 pound breast.  The brine is as follows:

2 cups water, 1 half of a lemon, 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, 6 whole black peppercorns, 1 clove of fresh garlic, and 3 tbsp. of salt.  Bring all that to a boil for 5 minutes then take off heat. Let cool for a while then add 2 cups of ice.  That should bring it to a low enough temperature to put the chicken breast in without starting a cooking process.  Refrigerate it for 2 hours.  Discard the brine.  After that, remove it from the brine and pat it dry.  Bake covered in foil on a nonstick sheet for 20 minutes @ 350.  If you have a thermometer the meat should be ready at 165 internal temperature.  Probe in the thickest part.  (No comments @KSM32 please)  Let rest then refrigerate.  This will be sliced later.

Now, we will poach a pear in red wine.  A Bosc pear mind you!  Any fine red wine to your liking will do.  Peel the pear.  Leave whole.  Add a 75/25 mix of wine and water to a pot.  Just enough to cover the pear.  Use a small pot for one pear.  We could add cloves and/or orange peel or sugar, but I want to just leave it as is.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat to the lowest setting and let it sit for an hour....rotating every so often so the color is uniform.  We don't want the pear to look like a red beet when done.  We want the red to bleed in about an inch into the pear and have the rest be the natural color.  After the pear is cooled off it will be halved and sliced in a way you can fan it out in the sandwich.  Just thin wedges you can spread to cover the rest of the ingredients.

We'll need a nice Chevre (goat) cheese, a quality honey, walnuts (ground fine), alfalfa sprouts, and arugula micro greens.  Let's assume the chicken is cooled and sliced thin.  And the pears are ready to fan out over the chicken.

I think we can build it now.  I may be rushing through things but I'm determined.  I think I'm distracted by the sound of the lawnmower outside my window.  No matter.

Let's get that hearty and pillowy roll.  Slightly warm.  Give it a fairly heavy smear of that goat cheese on each half.  Sprinkle the ground walnuts on the bottom.  Grab a spoon and very lightly drizzle some honey over top of that.  Thin threads of honey.  Place a small bunch of the arugula microgreens on that.  Then shingle some of that yummy brined and sliced chicken on there.  On top of that a small amount of alfalfa sprouts.  On top of that spread out those poached pears covering the entire surface.  Back to the honey...lightly drizzle, and I mean lightly! hair like strand of honey across them.  Top with the roll already slathered with Chevre.

I see this as being a sandwich that you can eat while drinking a cup of chamomile tea as the sun shines through the window, or on the porch for that matter.

The creaminess of the goat cheese accented by the texture and flavor of the walnuts, along with the slight pepper of the arugula will match well with the chicken and further be accented by the crispy sprouts, the decadent pears and more honey and Chevre.  The wine in the pears adds a slight element of "spice" to go along with the greens. The chicken should me moist with a hint of lemon and rosemary.  The garlic is merely background noise but gives a basis to build flavor.

Okay, lawnmower man is gone and I have to make a real dinner now.  Damn these distractions!

Cheers!  Hope you like it.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »
#nocondiments
Oh sure...we're back to @GravitySucks  random things that are/are not condiments. Good luck trying to figure that out Shay!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.