Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 38381 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
:D :-*  Well, you're in the queue as well.   All I know is fashion and west coast for you. ?  Perhaps I'm forgetting something.  Similar tastes to Tigerlily, maybe?   Throw me a couple do's and don'ts foodwise and I will make your creation soon.   ;)

Still need just a couple clues @PolkaDot   :)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
@ShayP

For the @PolkaDot sammich may I suggest a filling of sauerkraut, sour grapes and whiskey sour.   oh, ..and sour ass on the thumb, for dipping.  ::)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There's no reason for me to be "dipping" my thumb in your ass so stop asking. The answer is always NO @KSM32 .
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
Still need just a couple clues @PolkaDot   :)

Ah! Thanks for asking @ShayP , so far you are a sandwich maestro! I'm not a west coast girl but I am a  western girl  ;). I eat mostly plant based but do love pork so when I eat meat it's usually pig of some sort! I've never met a pig I didn't like, which probably explains why I put up with KSM. I like poultry too, especially game birds but not a big fan of water fowl. I like sea food, especially flaky white fish if prepared properly. I like to eat local wherever I am because it's much more fun and interesting to do that. I think mayo is an abomination and prefer a stone ground or spicy mustard every time. Ohh, and I'm known to remove the bun if I know I won't be able to finish a sandwich so I can eat the good stuff in between and not be overly full or order it without a bun entirely.  ;D

Is it still a sandwich if there's no bread? YES you bastards! IT IS!!!  >:(
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
Sexywich!
Sexy Witch? Way to get into the seasonal spirit Bart!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »
Ah! Thanks for asking @ShayP , so far you are a sandwich maestro! I'm not a west coast girl but I am a  western girl  ;). I eat mostly plant based but do love pork so when I eat meat it's usually pig of some sort! I've never met a pig I didn't like, which probably explains why I put up with KSM. I like poultry too, especially game birds but not a big fan of water fowl. I like sea food, especially flaky white fish if prepared properly. I like to eat local wherever I am because it's much more fun and interesting to do that. I think mayo is an abomination and prefer a stone ground or spicy mustard every time. Ohh, and I'm known to remove the bun if I know I won't be able to finish a sandwich so I can eat the good stuff in between and not be overly full or order it without a bun entirely.  ;D

Is it still a sandwich if there's no bread? YES you bastards! IT IS!!!  >:(

Understood and appreciated.  @PolkaDot   And if you feel like removing all the goodies from the inside that's fine by me.  All I know is it was (is) a sandwich if it hit your table.  ;)  You make do with it as you wish.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »
I wasted no time with @TigerLily and her sammie.  :)  Let's start with the bread.  Whole grain rectangular (or square) roll preferably with molasses as an ingredient and dusted with oats.  I am terrible at baking so these will be store bought.  I can make some mean biscuits, and Focaccia but that's my limit.  I digress...

This sandwich will be cold.  However warm the roll/bread before building it.  Chicken is the protein and I am brining it before it is baked.  It's a 1 pound breast.  The brine is as follows:

2 cups water, 1 half of a lemon, 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, 6 whole black peppercorns, 1 clove of fresh garlic, and 3 tbsp. of salt.  Bring all that to a boil for 5 minutes then take off heat. Let cool for a while then add 2 cups of ice.  That should bring it to a low enough temperature to put the chicken breast in without starting a cooking process.  Refrigerate it for 2 hours.  Discard the brine.  After that, remove it from the brine and pat it dry.  Bake covered in foil on a nonstick sheet for 20 minutes @ 350.  If you have a thermometer the meat should be ready at 165 internal temperature.  Probe in the thickest part.  (No comments @KSM32 please)  Let rest then refrigerate.  This will be sliced later.

Now, we will poach a pear in red wine.  A Bosc pear mind you!  Any fine red wine to your liking will do.  Peel the pear.  Leave whole.  Add a 75/25 mix of wine and water to a pot.  Just enough to cover the pear.  Use a small pot for one pear.  We could add cloves and/or orange peel or sugar, but I want to just leave it as is.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat to the lowest setting and let it sit for an hour....rotating every so often so the color is uniform.  We don't want the pear to look like a red beet when done.  We want the red to bleed in about an inch into the pear and have the rest be the natural color.  After the pear is cooled off it will be halved and sliced in a way you can fan it out in the sandwich.  Just thin wedges you can spread to cover the rest of the ingredients.

We'll need a nice Chevre (goat) cheese, a quality honey, walnuts (ground fine), alfalfa sprouts, and arugula micro greens.  Let's assume the chicken is cooled and sliced thin.  And the pears are ready to fan out over the chicken.

I think we can build it now.  I may be rushing through things but I'm determined.  I think I'm distracted by the sound of the lawnmower outside my window.  No matter.

Let's get that hearty and pillowy roll.  Slightly warm.  Give it a fairly heavy smear of that goat cheese on each half.  Sprinkle the ground walnuts on the bottom.  Grab a spoon and very lightly drizzle some honey over top of that.  Thin threads of honey.  Place a small bunch of the arugula microgreens on that.  Then shingle some of that yummy brined and sliced chicken on there.  On top of that a small amount of alfalfa sprouts.  On top of that spread out those poached pears covering the entire surface.  Back to the honey...lightly drizzle, and I mean lightly! hair like strand of honey across them.  Top with the roll already slathered with Chevre.

I see this as being a sandwich that you can eat while drinking a cup of chamomile tea as the sun shines through the window, or on the porch for that matter.

The creaminess of the goat cheese accented by the texture and flavor of the walnuts, along with the slight pepper of the arugula will match well with the chicken and further be accented by the crispy sprouts, the decadent pears and more honey and Chevre.  The wine in the pears adds a slight element of "spice" to go along with the greens. The chicken should me moist with a hint of lemon and rosemary.  The garlic is merely background noise but gives a basis to build flavor.

Okay, lawnmower man is gone and I have to make a real dinner now.  Damn these distractions!

Cheers!  Hope you like it.

Beautiful, @ShayP ! A real work of art and sounds absolutely delicious. All my favorites added in too

You are the Chef Extraordinaire 💖
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
That club sandwich was made in heaven.  It was such a grand sight.  I almost thought that I needed some artillery (knife, fork) to attack it with, but my hands were up to the job.  Loved every bite.  You were right, I didn't even think about bacon not being there.  I had no idea that it would go so well with a bottle of Guinness Draught, my favorite brew (and @KSM32's too, I believe.)  That being said, I believe that you should write a book on sandwiches.  Thanks, @ShayP!

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
Now, I was contemplating the @Rikki Gins sandwich for a while.  He mentioned a club he had years ago.  So I figured I'd do that.  But I didn't want to do a basic club sandwich.  Not that there's anything wrong with those.  This is Rikki we are talking about!  Look at the gems he's provided to forums.  Interesting, informative, palate cleansers to the typical forum format.  Anyway...

I racked my brain.  I wanted themes, flavors, what matches and doesn't.  I wanted something unique.  I came up with a few ideas but kept going to Italian style ingredients.  So, I stuck with that and hopefully this is a winner.

First the bread.  White bread.  Preferable an artisanal type.  (I hate the way that word - artisanal - is thrown around, but whatever)  Thick slices, toasted.  Oh, and the crust will be trimmed off.  It will be cross-cut like the average club sandwich and will have some long frill picks as well to hold it together.  Fun!

No bacon.   You say "Whaaat?"  Don't worry about it.  I'm using Prosciutto di Parma.  Salty and nutty, also leaner.  I'm using turkey as well.  Brined as usual and cooked.  I try to do my own meats if I can. (No jokes) Of course, the prosciutto will be purchased.  The turkey will be brined in 2 cups water, half a lemon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 peppercorns, and 2 heavy pinches of salt.  Boil, take off heat, add 2 cups of ice, put turkey breast in, chill for 4 hours in fridge.  Then bake covered until done.  Set aside and chill.  Slice thin.

Procure a small wedge of Black truffle Pecorino cheese from your deli.  Get some sliced provolone as well.  We'll also need a big Beefsteak tomato, some crisp Romaine, fresh basil, fresh garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and parmesan.  Those last 5 are for the pesto.  We also need some mayo, honey, and a good Dijon mustard.

Sorry.  ShayP is lazy in his method and measurements today.  I beg forgiveness.  That being said, let's make some pesto.  Place about a cup of basil in a processor or blender.  Add 1 tbs of pine nuts, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbs of grated parmesan, and start blending while drizzling the olive oil into the ingredients.  We want it to be a paste and not too oily.  A little runny is fine but you don't want a loose mess.  Set aside and chill pesto.

Slice your tomato and season it with salt and pepper.  Wash a couple romaine leaves and trim of the thick parts.  In a small bowl combine 2 tbs Dijon mustard and 1 tsp of honey.  Get out a grater of some sort.  You will need it for the Truffle Pecorino.  Have the mayo on hand and get that bread toasted...3 slices.

Let's build it:

Place the 3 slices of toast on the cutting board.   One one slice, which will be the bottom, put a heavy smear of mayo on the toast.  Then grate an ample amount of the Truffle Pecorino.  Enough to give it a good layer of coverage, but not so much it becomes overpowering.  About 2 tbs.  Top that with the thinly sliced turkey breast.  About an inch and a half of meat.  Place a slice of that tomato on the turkey.  Then, take another slice of toast and spread pesto on it.  Lay the toast (pesto side down) on the turkey.  Bottom half done!

Okay, place a slice of provolone on that middle piece of toast and then top that with 2 to 3 leaves of romaine lettuce...depending on the thickness of the lettuce leaves.
Place a slice of that tomato on the lettuce.  Then put several folded slices of the Prosciutto on the tomato.  4 or 5 to make it the same thickness as the amount of turkey.
Add one more slice of provolone on the Prosciutto.  Take the remaining slice of toast and give a good coating of the honey Dijon mixture.  Place that top slice of toast mustard side down.

Lightly press sandwich together and insert 4 frill picks.  You know where they go!  Then cross cut it into triangles and then push the picks in further to hold it together.

Here is my thought on the flavor profile.  No need for bacon.  Maybe the crispiness will be missed but the salty richness of the Prosciutto di Parma makes up for flavor and is leaner.  The buttery flavor of the provolone and the sweetness of the honey Dijon mask the saltiness of the ham without losing taste.

Lettuce and tomato are a given.  Fresh crispy juiciness.  The pesto gives the herb component with a little richness from the oil.  I think it balances well with the lettuce and tomato.

On the bottom half, the boldness of the truffle in the pecorino cheese will awaken your taste buds and is a perfect accent for the turkey.  The cheese is grated on the mayo to mellow it a bit and give a good mouth-feel with the mayo melding with the turkey.  Pesto above for the same reason as listed previously.  the texture, herbs, and garlic will accent and bring together both halves.

So when you bite into this you will taste different notes one at a time from top to bottom that will satisfy.  Nothing too overpowering but very savory with salty hints.

I want to add some pickles on the side, so I'll go with some Whiskey Cornichons.  Pick up a jar if you see them.  Not your usual pickle but a nice abstract compliment to most sandwiches.

If @Rikki Gins doesn't enjoy this maybe someone else will.  I'll eat it all myself dammit! LOL!

Cheers all!

I have to add the disclaimer about rambling on with the overview, blah blah blah.  ;)  If I made some error or wasn't clear just curse me under your breath before getting up from your computer.   :D

That sounds WONDERFUL @ShayP! +1!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Guinness Draught, my favorite brew (and @KSM32's too, I believe.)

@Rikki Gins "You sir, are correct!"

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
Beautiful, @ShayP ! A real work of art and sounds absolutely delicious. All my favorites added in too

You are the Chef Extraordinaire 💖

Thank you lady. @TigerLily Made me blush. :-[  ;) :)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
That club sandwich was made in heaven.  It was such a grand sight.  I almost thought that I needed some artillery (knife, fork) to attack it with, but my hands were up to the job.  Loved every bite.  You were right, I didn't even think about bacon not being there.  I had no idea that it would go so well with a bottle of Guinness Draught, my favorite brew (and @KSM32's too, I believe.)  That being said, I believe that you should write a book on sandwiches.  Thanks, @ShayP!

@Rikki Gins  You are too kind sir.  I'm happy you enjoyed it in this virtual reality.  Oh yeah...Guinness is good anytime and surprisingly, since you brought it up, pairs well with that sandwich.

No book on sandwiches for me.  It would be a laborious task with no satisfying ending. 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
That sounds WONDERFUL @ShayP! +1!

Thank you as well. @Ciardelo  You too are on my list.   ;)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
Is a burger a sandwich?  That is the question!  Big score here Shay.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »
Is a burger a sandwich?  That is the question!  Big score here Shay.

Oh my.  Well, I've said it before.  I'm one of the few Yinzers that say "Fuck Primanti Bros."  Fuck 'em.  A score that high?  Jeez!!!  >:(  OMG!  Fries on it Wooo!!!  Great sandwich!  Blah blah blah.  Nobody can really tell you why though.  The only good thing about that is the Mancini's bread they use. Mancini's is great!  Plus, it (not Mancini's) ain't what it used to be.  I was okay with it 20+ years ago.  It's a tourist trap now and a place that Yinzers and tourists are supposed to like, as if it was in their genetic code.

Goddammit @Walks_At_Night now I'm irritated.  No fault of your own though.  I opened up my own wound. 

I'm beginning to think this Barstool douche really is a fucktard.  I really am.  I watched his reviews, etc.  I want to kick his ass.  At first I didn't but now I do.  Just kick his ass up and down the street and toss him in the river after I shove some crappy pizza down his throat and a Primanti Bros. sandwich up his ass.

Anyway, how you been man?  :D  Hope all is well.  :)