Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 38377 times)

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
Thank you as well. @Ciardelo  You too are on my list.   ;)

Yay! For you @ShayP  I will take a "cheat day" from my on-going weight loss program. You know I live in Oklahoma, so the usual Tex-Mex or Okie type foods. I'm also a fan of the German foods. Potato pancakes, brats, sausages, all that stuff :)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
Oh my.  Well, I've said it before.  I'm one of the few Yinzers that say "Fuck Primanti Bros."  Fuck 'em.  A score that high?  Jeez!!!  >:(  OMG!  Fries on it Wooo!!!  Great sandwich!  Blah blah blah.  Nobody can really tell you why though.  The only good thing about that is the Mancini's bread they use. Mancini's is great!  Plus, it (not Mancini's) ain't what it used to be.  I was okay with it 20+ years ago.  It's a tourist trap now and a place that Yinzers and tourists are supposed to like, as if it was in their genetic code.

Goddammit @Walks_At_Night now I'm irritated.  No fault of your own though.  I opened up my own wound. 

I'm beginning to think this Barstool douche really is a fucktard.  I really am.  I watched his reviews, etc.  I want to kick his ass.  At first I didn't but now I do.  Just kick his ass up and down the street and toss him in the river after I shove some crappy pizza down his throat and a Primanti Bros. sandwich up his ass.

Anyway, how you been man?  :D  Hope all is well.  :)

OMG @ShayP   Was not my intention to poke you with a stick like that. I do apologize - you have a happy little thread going here and I thought you might enjoy that burger review. I didn't know man.  I didn't know. Sadly, I've never been to your hometown - closest I've been was dragging Mrs. Walks and little Walks to Gettysburg. "Little Walks - This is McPherson's Ridge - where your ancestor in the Michigan 24th made a valiant stand against Johnny Reb". "Oh. Ok. Can we get Beef and Broccoli for lunch?  We are going to Hershey next, right?".   *sigh*   So I guess I can be excused over my ignorance of this burger issue.

Now, I can relate mind you. Ketchup on hot dogs and the like.........

Other than that, I'm meh I guess. I've been doing the same job for over 30 years now. It's a good gig and I should be grateful to have it but lately I don't know........   I never understood that Mid-Life Crisis jazz before but I certainly do so now. I used to love what I do but I just can't get enthused about it anymore. I've started watch shit like this - about a dude in England that sold all his shit, bought a little boat and just cruises around these ditches they have over there. Guess I need to just sack up and power on through. 

How about yourself? I assume the move has been a good thing?

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
Yay! For you @ShayP  I will take a "cheat day" from my on-going weight loss program. You know I live in Oklahoma, so the usual Tex-Mex or Okie type foods. I'm also a fan of the German foods. Potato pancakes, brats, sausages, all that stuff :)

Thanks for the insight.  I'll hook you up with something good.  ;)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2020, 06:40:48 PM »
OMG @ShayP   Was not my intention to poke you with a stick like that. I do apologize - you have a happy little thread going here and I thought you might enjoy that burger review. I didn't know man.  I didn't know. Sadly, I've never been to your hometown - closest I've been was dragging Mrs. Walks and little Walks to Gettysburg. "Little Walks - This is McPherson's Ridge - where your ancestor in the Michigan 24th made a valiant stand against Johnny Reb". "Oh. Ok. Can we get Beef and Broccoli for lunch?  We are going to Hershey next, right?".   *sigh*   So I guess I can be excused over my ignorance of this burger issue.

Now, I can relate mind you. Ketchup on hot dogs and the like.........

Other than that, I'm meh I guess. I've been doing the same job for over 30 years now. It's a good gig and I should be grateful to have it but lately I don't know........   I never understood that Mid-Life Crisis jazz before but I certainly do so now. I used to love what I do but I just can't get enthused about it anymore. I've started watch shit like this - about a dude in England that sold all his shit, bought a little boat and just cruises around these ditches they have over there. Guess I need to just sack up and power on through. 

How about yourself? I assume the move has been a good thing?

@Walks_At_Night  Hey, it's okay.  I knew you weren't poking at me.  Like I said, I opened up my own wound.  When I do that I light a match and pour some jet fuel on it.  Sometimes a rant is healthy.   ;D  I guess this is a happy little thread like you said, but you can post whatever man.  If anyone brought it down a notch it was me!  I appreciate you sharing the review.  If it hadn't been Primanti's you wouldn't see that reaction.  LOL!  Honestly, I never had a good experience there and the only time I went after the first 2 miserable experiences was because friends wanted to go, so I went along.  Anyway...

Oh...I'm with you on the ketchup on the hot dog thing.  It's blasphemous!

Also, I get your feeling regarding your job and feeling "meh."  We're going to go through that.  Seems an inevitability in life.   :-\  I remain in limbo.  I have no clue what my future holds but I'm trying to get some traction.  The damn COVID restrictions jam me up.   >:(   A simple thread like this is rekindling some passions.  I thought about a food cart or a catering business.  No food trucks.  :P  Something small scale.  I can't to restaurants anymore.  I also can't get any opportunities elsewhere (outside the industry) unless it's temp work.  Regardless, I want to be my own boss.

Honestly, the move was a disaster since I hit the turnpike.  It's close to 4 months since I've been here and I'm just settled down.  Pick anything that could go wrong and most likely I've experienced it.  However I'm happy to be here but it's so different.  Even with all the visits I made after I moved to Virginia I never noticed the growing change.  Not the 'Burgh I remember.  Oh well.  But...YES...it's a good thing overall.

If you're ever up this way you and yours are welcome to stay, or at least we could get a bite to eat.  We can even go to Primanti Bros. and I'll keep my mouth shut!  ;) :D  Still wish you could've hooked up for that afternoon with me and Gravity. 

By the way, I'll be creating a little delicacy for you in this thread. 

Oh...if I could sell everything and buy a boat just cruise around I'd do it.  However, I've been selling shit to stay afloat in everyday life.  Can't keep it forever.

I also don't think you need to "sack up and power through."  Seems to me that's what you are already doing.  ;)  CHEERS!  :)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »
@Walks_At_Night  Hey, it's okay.  I knew you weren't poking at me.  Like I said, I opened up my own wound.  When I do that I light a match and pour some jet fuel on it.  Sometimes a rant is healthy.   ;D  I guess this is a happy little thread like you said, but you can post whatever man.  If anyone brought it down a notch it was me!  I appreciate you sharing the review.  If it hadn't been Primanti's you wouldn't see that reaction.  LOL!  Honestly, I never had a good experience there and the only time I went after the first 2 miserable experiences was because friends wanted to go, so I went along.  Anyway...

Oh...I'm with you on the ketchup on the hot dog thing.  It's blasphemous!

Also, I get your feeling regarding your job and feeling "meh."  We're going to go through that.  Seems an inevitability in life.   :-\  I remain in limbo.  I have no clue what my future holds but I'm trying to get some traction.  The damn COVID restrictions jam me up.   >:(   A simple thread like this is rekindling some passions.  I thought about a food cart or a catering business.  No food trucks.  :P  Something small scale.  I can't to restaurants anymore.  I also can't get any opportunities elsewhere (outside the industry) unless it's temp work.  Regardless, I want to be my own boss.

Honestly, the move was a disaster since I hit the turnpike.  It's close to 4 months since I've been here and I'm just settled down.  Pick anything that could go wrong and most likely I've experienced it.  However I'm happy to be here but it's so different.  Even with all the visits I made after I moved to Virginia I never noticed the growing change.  Not the 'Burgh I remember.  Oh well.  But...YES...it's a good thing overall.

If you're ever up this way you and yours are welcome to stay, or at least we could get a bite to eat.  We can even go to Primanti Bros. and I'll keep my mouth shut!  ;) :D  Still wish you could've hooked up for that afternoon with me and Gravity. 

By the way, I'll be creating a little delicacy for you in this thread. 

Oh...if I could sell everything and buy a boat just cruise around I'd do it.  However, I've been selling shit to stay afloat in everyday life.  Can't keep it forever.

I also don't think you need to "sack up and power through."  Seems to me that's what you are already doing.  ;)  CHEERS!  :)

Oh man, not one but two miserable experiences at that place?  No wonder you weren't happy with that review. I'm sure it is not cheap, nothing chaps ass like laying out $15 for something that should be pretty basic and not liking it.  We have a place called Burger Bach that was supposed to be a great New Zealand burger joint. Maybe I was there on a bad day but I wasn't impressed. A Whopper would have been better I thought at 1/3 the price.

I do hope the turmoil from the move has settled down and things smooth out for ya:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm honored to be on the custom sandwich list!   

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2020, 03:31:46 AM »
I do hope the turmoil from the move has settled down and things smooth out for ya:

I appreciate it. @Walks_At_Night

Oh!  Burger Bach.  Their first location was in Richmond.  Like you, I was not impressed.  What gives with all the burgers getting mixed greens as the side?  I think it was almost $5 to add fries.  I ordered one of their specialty burgers and fries and had to throw down $18 plus tip.  Yeah, that place is way overrated.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2020, 05:52:23 AM »
There’s a burger place here that sells a $50 hamburger.  Fries and drink extra.  Somebody else bought me one. Two days later, to get out of a traffic jam, I went into a Wendy’s.  That burger was better.
Merry Christmas

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
There’s a burger place here that sells a $50 hamburger.  Fries and drink extra.  Somebody else bought me one. Two days later, to get out of a traffic jam, I went into a Wendy’s.  That burger was better.

50 clams for a burger and it can't whip a Son of Baconater.  Sad.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »
Now, I was contemplating the @Rikki Gins sandwich for a while.  He mentioned a club he had years ago.  So I figured I'd do that.  But I didn't want to do a basic club sandwich.  Not that there's anything wrong with those.  This is Rikki we are talking about!  Look at the gems he's provided to forums.  Interesting, informative, palate cleansers to the typical forum format.  Anyway...

I racked my brain.  I wanted themes, flavors, what matches and doesn't.  I wanted something unique.  I came up with a few ideas but kept going to Italian style ingredients.  So, I stuck with that and hopefully this is a winner.

First the bread.  White bread.  Preferable an artisanal type.  (I hate the way that word - artisanal - is thrown around, but whatever)  Thick slices, toasted.  Oh, and the crust will be trimmed off.  It will be cross-cut like the average club sandwich and will have some long frill picks as well to hold it together.  Fun!

No bacon.   You say "Whaaat?"  Don't worry about it.  I'm using Prosciutto di Parma.  Salty and nutty, also leaner.  I'm using turkey as well.  Brined as usual and cooked.  I try to do my own meats if I can. (No jokes) Of course, the prosciutto will be purchased.  The turkey will be brined in 2 cups water, half a lemon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 peppercorns, and 2 heavy pinches of salt.  Boil, take off heat, add 2 cups of ice, put turkey breast in, chill for 4 hours in fridge.  Then bake covered until done.  Set aside and chill.  Slice thin.

Procure a small wedge of Black truffle Pecorino cheese from your deli.  Get some sliced provolone as well.  We'll also need a big Beefsteak tomato, some crisp Romaine, fresh basil, fresh garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and parmesan.  Those last 5 are for the pesto.  We also need some mayo, honey, and a good Dijon mustard.

Sorry.  ShayP is lazy in his method and measurements today.  I beg forgiveness.  That being said, let's make some pesto.  Place about a cup of basil in a processor or blender.  Add 1 tbs of pine nuts, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbs of grated parmesan, and start blending while drizzling the olive oil into the ingredients.  We want it to be a paste and not too oily.  A little runny is fine but you don't want a loose mess.  Set aside and chill pesto.

Slice your tomato and season it with salt and pepper.  Wash a couple romaine leaves and trim of the thick parts.  In a small bowl combine 2 tbs Dijon mustard and 1 tsp of honey.  Get out a grater of some sort.  You will need it for the Truffle Pecorino.  Have the mayo on hand and get that bread toasted...3 slices.

Let's build it:

Place the 3 slices of toast on the cutting board.   One one slice, which will be the bottom, put a heavy smear of mayo on the toast.  Then grate an ample amount of the Truffle Pecorino.  Enough to give it a good layer of coverage, but not so much it becomes overpowering.  About 2 tbs.  Top that with the thinly sliced turkey breast.  About an inch and a half of meat.  Place a slice of that tomato on the turkey.  Then, take another slice of toast and spread pesto on it.  Lay the toast (pesto side down) on the turkey.  Bottom half done!

Okay, place a slice of provolone on that middle piece of toast and then top that with 2 to 3 leaves of romaine lettuce...depending on the thickness of the lettuce leaves.
Place a slice of that tomato on the lettuce.  Then put several folded slices of the Prosciutto on the tomato.  4 or 5 to make it the same thickness as the amount of turkey.
Add one more slice of provolone on the Prosciutto.  Take the remaining slice of toast and give a good coating of the honey Dijon mixture.  Place that top slice of toast mustard side down.

Lightly press sandwich together and insert 4 frill picks.  You know where they go!  Then cross cut it into triangles and then push the picks in further to hold it together.

Here is my thought on the flavor profile.  No need for bacon.  Maybe the crispiness will be missed but the salty richness of the Prosciutto di Parma makes up for flavor and is leaner.  The buttery flavor of the provolone and the sweetness of the honey Dijon mask the saltiness of the ham without losing taste.

Lettuce and tomato are a given.  Fresh crispy juiciness.  The pesto gives the herb component with a little richness from the oil.  I think it balances well with the lettuce and tomato.

On the bottom half, the boldness of the truffle in the pecorino cheese will awaken your taste buds and is a perfect accent for the turkey.  The cheese is grated on the mayo to mellow it a bit and give a good mouth-feel with the mayo melding with the turkey.  Pesto above for the same reason as listed previously.  the texture, herbs, and garlic will accent and bring together both halves.

So when you bite into this you will taste different notes one at a time from top to bottom that will satisfy.  Nothing too overpowering but very savory with salty hints.

I want to add some pickles on the side, so I'll go with some Whiskey Cornichons.  Pick up a jar if you see them.  Not your usual pickle but a nice abstract compliment to most sandwiches.

If @Rikki Gins doesn't enjoy this maybe someone else will.  I'll eat it all myself dammit! LOL!

Cheers all!

I have to add the disclaimer about rambling on with the overview, blah blah blah.  ;)  If I made some error or wasn't clear just curse me under your breath before getting up from your computer.   :D
random question @ShayP : how do you decide when you should put sugar in your brine? I'd never thought of doing it....does it really make it sweeter or does it change the way it cooks?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
random question @ShayP : how do you decide when you should put sugar in your brine? I'd never thought of doing it....does it really make it sweeter or does it change the way it cooks?

@PolkaDot  I put all of the ingredients in the liquid before bringing it to a boil.  So like in the one listed before I used 2 cups water, half a lemon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 peppercorns, and 2 heavy pinches of salt.  All in at the same time.  So once it cools enough on the stove to dump the ice in to bring it down to where you can put the raw meat in and refrigerate it, you end up with a weaker solution than what you started with.

It does not make it sweeter.  It does give the meat a little hint of those flavors but it isn't overpowering at all.  Great for sandwiches especially since you have the other added ingredients.  (herbs, veggies, etc)  More importantly it makes the meat less likely to dry out when cooking.  Juicy meat at best, but nice and moist at least.

Honestly a simple salt and water brine works too..  I like to add the citrus, sugar, and peppercorns to make it more balanced...depending on what I'm doing with it.   

I'll use this mostly for poultry.  Pork is a little different.  Corned beef is way different, same with fish, etc.  In fact the brine you saw is the same one I use for Thanksgiving turkey.  However I may add a cinnamon stick or cloves, and obviously increase the ingredients.  I'd have to yield 5 gallons of brine and let that bird soak for 8-12 hours.  Anyway...

Keep in mind too that the meat will be removed and dried, so you're really not cooking in the brine.  If I added too much of something like salt or sugar and kept the meat in the brine too long it would suck, and you could notice those flavors.

Hopefully I made sense.  I tend to drone on at times and get ahead of myself.  :-\

Oh!  I typically use those measurements in Rikki's turkey brine when I deal with a 2 lb. breast.  The liquid has to cover the meat so add more water if needed, but no more seasoning to the brine. 

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2020, 03:49:54 PM »
@PolkaDot  I put all of the ingredients in the liquid before bringing it to a boil.  So like in the one listed before I used 2 cups water, half a lemon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 peppercorns, and 2 heavy pinches of salt.  All in at the same time.  So once it cools enough on the stove to dump the ice in to bring it down to where you can put the raw meat in and refrigerate it, you end up with a weaker solution than what you started with.

It does not make it sweeter.  It does give the meat a little hint of those flavors but it isn't overpowering at all.  Great for sandwiches especially since you have the other added ingredients.  (herbs, veggies, etc)  More importantly it makes the meat less likely to dry out when cooking.  Juicy meat at best, but nice and moist at least.

Honestly a simple salt and water brine works too..  I like to add the citrus, sugar, and peppercorns to make it more balanced...depending on what I'm doing with it.   

I'll use this mostly for poultry.  Pork is a little different.  Corned beef is way different, same with fish, etc.  In fact the brine you saw is the same one I use for Thanksgiving turkey.  However I may add a cinnamon stick or cloves, and obviously increase the ingredients.  I'd have to yield 5 gallons of brine and let that bird soak for 8-12 hours.  Anyway...

Keep in mind too that the meat will be removed and dried, so you're really not cooking in the brine.  If I added too much of something like salt or sugar and kept the meat in the brine too long it would suck, and you could notice those flavors.

Hopefully I made sense.  I tend to drone on at times and get ahead of myself.  :-\

Oh!  I typically use those measurements in Rikki's turkey brine when I deal with a 2 lb. breast.  The liquid has to cover the meat so add more water if needed, but no more seasoning to the brine.
8) I've been toying with the idea of making my own corned beef for a few years. When I actually get a craving for it, I want it now not in a couple of weeks so I've never actually followed through with my inclination. LOL
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
@Bart Ell  Your sandwich was a little more challenging that I expected.  I kept changing my mind but I figured I'd just spin the wheel and pick one.  Here it is:

I want this sandwich pressed in the style of a Cuban sandwich (not the ingredients per se).  No panini press either.  I'm using a brick and a pan.  Yep, that's right.  No worries though, the brick is clean and wrapped in aluminum foil.  We'll need a nice Cuban roll, or French bread (roll) or even Italian.  They all are quite similar.  I'll go with French bread (sliced horizontally) or a nice fat baguette sliced the same way.  Let's assume the roll is 8 inches long and as wide as your typical hoagie roll.

The meat will be braised short ribs. (2 lb. - boneless)  The cheese I chose was Canada's own Boivin Extra Aged Cheddar.   Other ingredients will include sweet piquanté peppers.  (a small jar of Peppadew brand is good)  Onion, garlic clove, green bell pepper and a bay leaf.  Salt & pepper.  Olive oil.  Red Wine.  Tomato paste.  Beef stock.  Butter.

I want to brown the short ribs first.  Hot pan, add a splash of olive oil.  Sprinkle each side of the ribs with S&P then place in pan/skillet, or even Dutch oven.  After the are nicely browned they will be covered and baked at 300 degrees for 2.5 hours or until fork tender.  Check at the 2nd hour.  I want them to hold their shape until they are pressed in the sandwich.

Take a spoon or spatula and lightly coat all the ribs (each side) with the tomato paste.  Place the ribs in an oven safe vessel that will have a tight lid.  Drop in a clove of garlic and a bay leaf.  Add 1 cup of red wine (whatever you like) and 1 cup of beef broth/stock.   If this were for a dinner we'd add veggies and a whole lot more.  Anyway...

While they're baking dice one green bell pepper and half of a large onion.  We are looking for a small dice, not chunks. Drain 1/2 cup of the sweet piquanté peppers and roughly chop them.  Sautee the bell peppers and onion until they start to soften.  Remove from heat and mix together with the sweet peppers. 

Slice some of that cheese!  Slice the bread/roll horizontally.  Crust side on top.

Once ribs are done and fork tender, remove, discard the garlic and bay leaf, and let cool enough to handle.  Then we build the sandwich.  On the bottom of the roll, layer some of the cheese.  Then put the chunks of tender short rib on there tightly together until covered end to end.  Cover the top of the ribs with the mixture of bell pepper, sweet pepper, and onion.  Cover that with layers of the cheese then the top part of the roll.

Get a pan and put on medium heat with 2 tbs of butter.  Once hot and the butter is melted place the sandwich in bottom side first.  Take the brick and lay it on top.  Use a spatula to lift it and take a peak.  You want it to be golden brown but not too crispy.  Remove and add 2 more tbs of butter.  Turn the sandwich upside down and place in pan.  Give it more brick!  Same procedure...let get golden and slightly crispy.  Once done, remove from pan.

The braised short ribs will have started to break apart from the weight of the brick and the cheese will have melted throughout thus binding it all together.  If your lucky some of the cheese melted out and got a little crispy.  Yum!

You could cut it in half like it is or wrap in parchment paper, foil, whatever, then cut it.  I want the roll to not only be slightly griddled crispy but have some of that butter soaked into it, tightly hugging everything into a tight sandwich.  Bart should have slippery fingers after eating eat.  When he bites into it that rich tender short rib should be in tune with the mild onions and bell pepper; plus the sweet tanginess of the piquanté peppers will match with the reduced tomato paste/red wine flavors.  The cheese accents it all perfectly, IMO.

Hopefully @Bart Ell enjoys this.  Some of you as well.  If not, just curse me out, and make me sit in the penalty box and feel shame.

Cheers!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
8) I've been toying with the idea of making my own corned beef for a few years. When I actually get a craving for it, I want it now not in a couple of weeks so I've never actually followed through with my inclination. LOL

LOL! @PolkaDot  I totally understand where your coming from.  Regardless, give it a shot someday.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
@Bart Ell  Your sandwich was a little more challenging that I expected.  I kept changing my mind but I figured I'd just spin the wheel and pick one.  Here it is:
Hopefully @Bart Ell enjoys this.  Some of you as well.  If not, just curse me out, and make me sit in the penalty box and feel shame.

Cheers!

No shame in your game @ShayP!

Those skinny-jeans wearing, loud-mouthed, drive-by, reviewers would have to stop and cry with joy if they ever were blessed enough to taste your creations!

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
LOL! @PolkaDot  I totally understand where your coming from.  Regardless, give it a shot someday.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login