Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 234882 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #870 on: September 25, 2020, 12:25:03 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, September 25, 1920.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #871 on: September 25, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
@PolkaDot

Houseplant
Most likely cold in winter, but not enough for me to freeze indoors with central heating. 
Sun comes through the side mostly in the evenings.
Upright would be preferable. I have good wide window ledge.
Hmmm...OK. I'll think on this @SpookPumpkin . Your window is like a northwest exposure? The first couple of things that come to mind is the Dracenas. They are pretty plants that aren't too picky about light and can take a window that gets cold at night. It would get big eventually but you would have a good 3-5 years before it outgrew a window ledge. I really like the red edged dracena- the latin is Draceana marginatas. But there are others too.

The Northfolk Island Pine is pretty and fun too. Sometimes it's called the Star Pine. Again, this one will get very large one day but you have a long time before you'd have to worry about that.

Also, many of the figs would do well. Stay away from the Benjamin as they're finicky. I really like the Rubber Trees. They're beautiful and also come in variegated varieties that can be very striking. The Latin is Ficus elastica

There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #872 on: September 25, 2020, 04:40:25 PM »
But bees are so cute! and helpful to the environment!

Look at the little fuzzy bumble butts!

*not my picture

I love the bumbles too!  :) :)
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #873 on: September 25, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
Gave it a good dousing especially on the leaves and pruned away all the dead leaves. Pruned the basil way back. I think the basil will be ok but I am pretty sure I lost my 6 thai chilies. Their leaves were totally shot.
Such a bummer.  :(
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #874 on: September 25, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
My pea eggplant/turkey berry seeds arrived today.  They’ll go into the ground/bucket tomorrow.  Thanks @GravitySucks.
Merry Christmas

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #875 on: September 25, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »
My pea eggplant/turkey berry seeds arrived today.  They’ll go into the ground/bucket tomorrow.  Thanks @GravitySucks.

Mine showed up today as well. 
Are we having fun yet?

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #876 on: September 25, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
I have a Swedish Ivy potted plant that a friend gave me. When it was delivered from him, one of the vines had got broken riding in the car. I snipped it off and put it in a glass of water. It's now got a bunch of roots growing out. Do I just need to stick in some dirt now? I'm assuming to get some good quality potting soil. How big of pot should it go into?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #877 on: September 25, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
I have a Swedish Ivy potted plant that a friend gave me. When it was delivered from him, one of the vines had got broken riding in the car. I snipped it off and put it in a glass of water. It's now got a bunch of roots growing out. Do I just need to stick in some dirt now? I'm assuming to get some good quality potting soil. How big of pot should it go into?

Any good potting soil would work. Something with peat moss or vermiculite is fine. I would start out with just a 4-6” pot. Anything more will just get the plant trying to produce more roots instead of ivy.  I don’t use a fertilizer soil like miracle gro when first rooting.  Too hard on new roots.  I do mix a little bit of none meal. 

Be careful watering. Don’t let the soil dry out. But don’t keep it too wet either. 
Are we having fun yet?

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #878 on: September 25, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Any good potting soil would work. Something with peat moss or vermiculite is fine. I would start out with just a 4-6” pot. Anything more will just get the plant trying to produce more roots instead of ivy.  I don’t use a fertilizer soil like miracle gro when first rooting.  Too hard on new roots.  I do mix a little bit of none meal. 

Be careful watering. Don’t let the soil dry out. But don’t keep it too wet either.

You mean bone meal?  :)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #879 on: September 25, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »

Oops. Yep. I use fish bone meal.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #880 on: September 26, 2020, 01:43:42 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Evening Star, September 26, 1920.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #881 on: September 26, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »
Oops. Yep. I use fish bone meal.

Thank you @GravitySucks I'll go get a pot, bone meal, and some soil later today.  :)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #882 on: September 26, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »

Truth be told I was going to Google 'none meal' because I usually trust what @GravitySucks is talking about.  I thought about bone meal, but no.  I figured he knew something none of us knew about.  ;)  Plus I'm a shitty gardener and I'm trying to get tips from all of you.   >:(  ;D

#nosuchthingasnonemeal

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #883 on: September 26, 2020, 09:22:01 AM »
Truth be told I was going to Google 'none meal' because I usually trust what @GravitySucks is talking about.  I thought about bone meal, but no.  I figured he knew something none of us knew about.  ;)  Plus I'm a shitty gardener and I'm trying to get tips from all of you.   >:(  ;D

#nosuchthingasnonemeal

Ha ha!  ;D I'll admit to some trepidation @ShayP in questioning @GravitySucks about that post. But then I finally decided to risk the possible public garden humiliation in not knowing what "none meal" was. LOL

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #884 on: September 26, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
Oh nice! Is it the variegated or pink varietal @Ciardelo ? Those two are the prettiest IMO. I would keep it in a small pot, nice and tidy. It'll appreciate being comfy and not having too much room. Remember not to pack the soil- it's everyones inclination to do so but let it settle naturally and maybe add more soil later. Enjoy!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,