Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 234743 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #1815 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
Dear @anniem & @Rikki Gins please stop watching the TWIGHT ZONE.  ;D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think Rod Serling took the mountain away, I haven't seen it in a week.

@FISH

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #1816 on: August 15, 2021, 01:47:49 PM »
I think Rod Serling took the mountain away, I haven't seen it in a week.

@FISH

I must have inhaled the equivalence of twelve cartons of Rod's cigarettes this past week.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1817 on: August 15, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »

I've been keeping indoors these past days due to high smoke levels.  Played Yahtzee with a robot a bunch of times.  I was especially pleased with this particular game.  I think I had three Yahtzees.  Definitely the highest score thus far and that includes the bot's scores.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1818 on: August 15, 2021, 03:02:01 PM »
I must have inhaled the equivalence of twelve cartons of Rod's cigarettes this past week.

Yup, pretty smoky here now. There is no real breeze.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1819 on: August 15, 2021, 03:02:55 PM »

I've been keeping indoors these past days due to high smoke levels.  Played Yahtzee with a robot a bunch of times.  I was especially pleased with this particular game.  I think I had three Yahtzees.  Definitely the highest score thus far and that includes the bot's scores.

Good score! On pc?

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #1820 on: August 15, 2021, 03:58:26 PM »
Today, I harvested my 50th tomato this season. Small breed.  Began with 3 plants, grown from seed.

Started a 4th plant from a broken off branch. It grew rapidly. Tomato 50 came off of this 4th plant that should have never existed, but due to erudite plant husbandry it thrives in this world. T50 is 2.2 ounces. Larger than a golfball, smaller than a racquetball.

Speaking of, here is Mizz 50 now, sporting a fashionable  up side down transparent Sonic hot fudge sundae cup.

The curves of Venus... The wisdom of Minerva... And the fertility of Ceres.

We're so grateful for her attendance on the runway.

Mizz 50, everyone, Mizz 50!

(clap clap clap)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1821 on: August 15, 2021, 04:02:04 PM »
Good score! On pc?

No, my tablet.  In the GooglePlay store.  It is the Yahtzee game version that is spelled Yazy.  Very fun game because the gameplay is not interrupted by ads, you only see them between games.  You can play a single game by yourself, against the bot, or against a friend.  Lots of fun.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1822 on: August 15, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »
No, my tablet.  In the GooglePlay store.  It is the Yahtzee game version that is spelled Yazy.  Very fun game because the gameplay is not interrupted by ads, you only see them between games.  You can play a single game by yourself, against the bot, or against a friend.  Lots of fun.

I shall try that one! Thanks!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1823 on: August 15, 2021, 05:09:40 PM »
I shall try that one! Thanks!

You bet, Annie.  Enjoy!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1824 on: August 15, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »
Today, I harvested my 50th tomato this season. Small breed.  Began with 3 plants, grown from seed.

Started a 4th plant from a broken off branch. It grew rapidly. Tomato 50 came off of this 4th plant that should have never existed, but due to erudite plant husbandry it thrives in this world. T50 is 2.2 ounces. Larger than a golfball, smaller than a racquetball.

Speaking of, here is Mizz 50 now, sporting a fashionable  up side down transparent Sonic hot fudge sundae cup.

The curves of Venus... The wisdom of Minerva... And the fertility of Ceres.

We're so grateful for her attendance on the runway.

Mizz 50, everyone, Mizz 50!

(clap clap clap)

Very nice, Cam!  It looks as though you have things well in hand in the tomato growing department.  I grow tomatoes every year but the results are always minimal.  I have to grow mine in pots because the ground around here is heavy clay and I no longer have the muscle to dig and add amendments to the soil.  My seven pots are delivering fruit but very grudgingly.  I had a nice growth of Tumbler tomatoes (pictured) about a month back, but nothing much since then.  Tumbler is a container plant and the tomatoes are about the size of golf balls.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #1825 on: August 15, 2021, 09:30:39 PM »
Very nice, Cam!  It looks as though you have things well in hand in the tomato growing department.  I grow tomatoes every year but the results are always minimal.  I have to grow mine in pots because the ground around here is heavy clay and I no longer have the muscle to dig and add amendments to the soil.  My seven pots are delivering fruit but very grudgingly.  I had a nice growth of Tumbler tomatoes (pictured) about a month back, but nothing much since then.  Tumbler is a container plant and the tomatoes are about the size of golf balls.

Thanks, RG.  I got really lucky with this variety I think. My thumb isn't near green enough to account for such a consistent turn out. I'm using pots, too.  I was able to easily relocate them - when it started getting hot - to an area that gets shade sooner in the day, instead of being confined in full Summer sun to a patch of "grounded" soil.

This is an indeterminate variety, so I hope to be able to keep going until first freeze, tomato gods willing. I'm currently in a manual war against tiny caterpillars, aka tomato pinworms.

Since I can already purchase pesticide treated fruit at the grocery store, why raise the same?

Pesticide free is a challenge, but is doable, since I have so few plants.

On that note, I love giant moths, though. Much to the disapproval of gardeners everywhere, I don't kill tomato hornworms, aka future  Hawkmoths.

I simply remove them from the plant and feed them other vegetables until they pupate.

I have two hawkmoth chrysalises buried now that will hatch in Spring '22. At which time I will release them from the hatchery tent ... A winged evil upon fellow tomato growers.

I do enjoy myself, and the plants have inspired some decent short story writing.

I have found, for me anyway, that working with plants and insects is an excellent antidote for too much full digital immersion.

That batch of Tumblers you had look excellent.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1826 on: August 16, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
I have no idea when these guys are ready to burn my mouth on. Can't wait!  :o  Should they be red?  Also, I love the lilac bush outside the kitchen window. See it?   ;D

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1827 on: August 17, 2021, 05:46:20 AM »
I like the photos and the stories @Camazotz Automat & @KSM  :)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #1828 on: August 17, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »

Thank you for your kind words, @FISH

If my tales of wyrd sentient tomatoes and prophetic moths are captured by HarperCollins Publishing (or one of its imprints), I will make damn sure you get your copy.  Heh heh.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1829 on: August 17, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
Thanks @FISH I really do not know when those peppers are ready. Perhaps they're supposed to turn red at some point. They are not from seed and I lost the tag that came with.